SYL - Anyone Like Strapping Young Lad?

Man they fucking rock dood. Their shit is just so intense but melodic at the same time it's awesome.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them? All I know I read on some site and I've seen some pics but I don't know anything else.

How long they been together? Were they all in other bands before or are they in their first? How many albums have they release.

yeah, strapping is a great band.
city is by far their best cd, the self titled is missing that crushing production that made city so great, but its by no means a bad cd either

TheNooseInYourEmptySoul said:
Man they fucking rock dood. Their shit is just so intense but melodic at the same time it's awesome.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about them? All I know I read on some site and I've seen some pics but I don't know anything else.

How long they been together? Were they all in other bands before or are they in their first? How many albums have they release.

I love this band a buddy sent me a copy of the S/T album and I love it, I think they have been a band for at least 10 years I remember this because when Devin did the Sex&Religion album with Steve Vai back in like 94' Steve said he found Devin at a SYL show ...... SYL fans would prolly hate that album, compared to SYL its Soft Rock

i love SYL. they give a GREAT live show. i saw them in may. great stuff :D

anyway, SYL is a side project of Devin Townsend (who has worked with Steve Vai, Front Line Assembly, and the Devin Townsend Band) and a few other respected musicians (i think their drummer Gene Hoglan was in Death and Testament). they've been around for awhile but they only have four albums :(

so yeah.

Yeah they are one of my favorite bands- the most aggressive band I have heard- in terms of that wall of sound, and riffs of pure adrenaline.

They have three albums- Heavy as a Really Heavy thing- their first album, is just mediocre. The other two, City and SYL are must haves.

And yes Gene Hoglan did play for Testament( on Demonic), Death ( i believe on Symbolic- I could be wrong) and of course Dark Angel- a band he wrote many of the songs and lyrics for.

speed said:
And yes Gene Hoglan did play for Testament( on Demonic), Death ( i believe on Symbolic- I could be wrong) and of course Dark Angel- a band he wrote many of the songs and lyrics for.

as far as I know he played on Human, Individual thought Patterns, and Symbolic