SYL: The Art of Noise Tour - Austin

Jersen

Oct 22, 2001
Malvern, AR
My brother, my cousin and I traveled from central Arkansas to Austin, TX just to see SYL for the show on the 18th (well, I wanted to see Nile too), and it was worth every mile, no matter how short the show was! I got to meet Devin and have him sign my ticket, as well as seeing a kickass show, and bought the tour e.p. and a toboggan. So anyway, this was the setlist for Austin, as I remember it (correct me/assist me if I am wrong).

Opening blast beat jam thing
Oh My Fucking God
SYL
Devour
In the Rainy Season
Relentless
Rape Song (Rage Song? sorry, haven't heard any of the new material or many of the titles, and couldn't quite understand what he said when he announced it.)

Anyway, SYL rocked the fucking house, Dark Tranquillity also rocked, Berzerker sucked (generic death metal with samples), Napalm Death was cool to watch but got old by the end of their set, Nile rocked (up the Ankhs!).

Cool review man, it really sounds like you had a sweet time. Now Im really excited to see SYL..(actually Im seeing them in about 16 hours!
but yeah, Rape Song is off the new album as well as Devour and Relentless.. man I really cant wait for the show!

Originally posted by Devy_Metal
no all hail the new flesh? wtf?

Yeah, I was really hoping for the Velvet Kevorkian/All Hail opening, but OMFG was the only City track they played, I was kinda bummed about that, but considering I got a kickass live preview of some of the new stuff it made up for it (kinda, we didn't even get Detox dammit, but what am I complaining about!)

Needless to say, my first live SYL experience was nothing short of "the bomb!"

Originally posted by JesterOfDeath
ED, you'll see Devy, don't worry buddy.

I know, I'm just impatient. I've been waiting for years now!!! Heeee can't even find the time to come play in his own country! Aside from Vancouver anyways...

I know this isn't the right thread, but I feel like saying this...today is the best damn day I've had in a LONG time! I'm in a great mood.
I patched everything up with my girlfriend last night... so I went to work happy, I got to my shitty work at 5:50 in the morning, and time was just flying by. During that time, my manager came out and asked me if I wanted an extra day off this week, and I asked what day... she said tomorrow.. so I took it..Today was my 6th day in a row working, so it will be a relief to not have to work tomorrow... I don't care, I'll sacrifice the money... I already have Friday and Saturday.. now I get 3 days off in a row!!! The day ended quick, I went home, and there was a package waiting for me, it was my Devy - Official Bootleg Video... I ordered a bunch of things from HDR a while ago, but that Video was on backorder, so I got a note saying they'll send it later... got it today, it was very cool.. later on I came on here, checked my email, and the guy that I bought the SYL EP from emailed me... he said since I sent him extra money, he was going to give me another CD. I got to choose from a Grave, Behemoth, or Rotting Christ CD... or another SYL EP. I chose the Rotting Christ one... and now! I'm about to eat some macaroni and cheese... This day could not get better!

Originally posted by Schraiber
How long did the entire show last? About how long did each band play?

These are guesses, since I didn't really keep an eye on my watch the whole time...

The Berzerker - 20-25 min
SYL - 30 min
Dark Tranquillity - 45 min
Napalm Death - 60 min
Nile - dunno (didn't stay for the whole set, left about 4 songs in--we were extremely worn out/feet tired)