Sym X - Atlanta, question for the Halcyon Way guys

Hey HW guys, what time are you hitting the stage tonight? I am coming from out of town and need to know when to leave. I live about 90 minutes to 2 hours away.

Doors are at 7 and they play around 7:15 supposedly. *grumble* Then we get to watch a death metal band who fits so nicely on the bill. :Smug: :rolleyes:

Hope as many as possible can make it - because it's gonna be a killer show!

And if you need tickets beforehand, please look around outside for me as I'll have the remainder of the discounted tickets in hand. I want to see my boys on stage though, so catch me before or after the their set.

PM me for my cell phone number in case you're getting there later and need tix. But write before 5PM today.

:headbang:

Ok so we will get there around the time the doors open then Hoyt. Looking forward to seeing you again tonight dude!

Two thumbs up for open-mindedness!!

oh wait

hey, some of my best friends happen to be in death metal bands - but that doesn't mean they'll fit on this bill. All the Masquerade is doing here is trying to make a few extra bucks. They could have just as easily done that with a half-dozen other Prog/Power style bands in the ATL area who do fit the bill.

hey, some of my best friends happen to be in death metal bands - but that doesn't mean they'll fit on this bill. All the Masquerade is doing here is trying to make a few extra bucks. They could have just as easily done that with a half-dozen other Prog/Power style bands in the ATL area who do fit the bill.

Yeah, but these guys (Axial Discorrelation) play a type of death metal that rquires plenty of musicianship, as much if not more than the other bands on the bill. I thought it was all about the music? Anyway, if you're stuck with like, 4 or 5 bands playing the same style of metal, don't you think it'd get a little stale after a while? Just saying... Bringing a tech death band to the bill creates more diversity. Of course, I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people there will have the same mindset and you and will make sure it's known during the concert, which will be rather unfortunate.

When I found out that Axial Discorrelation (despite the far-fetched name) is a technical band a la Between the Buried and Me, it piqued my interest. But for those of you who were at the Sonata Arctica show at the Masquerade a couple winters ago, you remember how embarrassingly awful Dark Asylum were (and also were ill-fitted for the bill). I see Hoyt's point about a death metal/metalcore band not being exactly the best match, but let's face it, Sanctity is on the entire tour and they don't have that much in common with Symphony X either (they're more of a groove-thrash band a la later Testament, Machine Head, etc.).

Not true.

If allllllll the bands on a bill have the same style, you are pulling only from the same well of potential attendees. The Masquerade is only doing what any competent concert promoter -- from festivals a la Wacken and ProgPower down to smaller venues like the Masquerade -- would do: try to broaden the draw. At least Axial Discorrelation is technical; believe me, it could be a lot worse.

by the way folks - you best drink plenty of water before heading to the Masquerade tonight:

heat advisory in effect from 1 pm to 8 pm edt Wednesday. The NWS in peachtree city has issued a heat advisory, which is in effect from 1 pm to 8 pm edt Wednesday for portions of north and central georgia, south and west of a line from chatsworth to marietta to danielsville.
High temperatures this afternoon will be in the upper 90s to near 102. Combining these temperatures with relative humidities of 35 to 45 percent will produce heat index values in the 105 to 110 degree range. These conditions will likely persist through wednesday afternoon.

it's already close to those temps today. And the Masquerade isn't exactly known for it's air conditioning and ventilation. :ill:

True, although today I think they'll have to run their A/C. All the better reason for me to escape to Tenn. on Wed. and Thurs. :D

I was down there for a relatively small local show a few weeks ago (my friend's band Dearest Azazel were playing), and was startled to feel honest-to-god cold air upstairs. Of course, if there's a big crowd, no A/C can handle it, so....two cheers for medium-sized crowds! :heh: