Symphony X re-releases question

UltraNerd

New Metal Member
Jul 29, 2002
Netherlands
www.gfxzone.org
Since early this year (or was it announced late last year?) I have been waiting eagerly for the re-releases of the albums in the Symphony X back catalog. So you can imagine my surprise and slight disappointment when I learned of the news that the re-releases will not contain remastered tracks or bonus tracks as planned earlier.

The news-item on the Symphony X website is not 100% clear if these re-releases mean that the remasters and bonus tracks announced a while ago will not happen at all, but I guess that I should no longer hold my breath for it.

Aaanyway.... I want to buy the albums anyway, and I am wondering if anyone has information that sheds some light on the differences between the 'originals' and these 're-releases', if there are any differences left. Perhaps different cover art, or CD booklet?

The reason I ask is that I can also get a set of the original CDs, and ofcourse I wouldn't like to discover I made the wrong choice.

So if anyone has some inside-info (pun intended!), I would appreciate it very much if you could share it with the rest of us...

I can't say as I recall remastering or bonus tracks ever being part of the plan..AFAIK, the basic idea was to make the catalog available domestically in the US, not re-do the cds.

That said, I don't know what IOMA's plans are for the re-releases, & haven't spoken to them lately myself..Deron?

Bonus tracks at one time were discussed, but never finalized. Remastering was never a consideration. Focus was on getting the albums finally available to the general public in all sort of mom & pop shops, etc.

Last I heard, reissues to come out in mid August. Doubtful if there will be much change to the packaging at all. That's something I'm only speculating on. Chance are that it's just a straight reissue deal.

Glenn
:)

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
I can't say as I recall remastering or bonus tracks ever being part of the plan..AFAIK, the basic idea was to make the catalog available domestically in the US, not re-do the cds.

That said, I don't know what IOMA's plans are for the re-releases, & haven't spoken to them lately myself..Deron?
Thanks for the reply. I'll tell you where I got the information about the bonus tracks - from www.symphonyx.com :)

In one of the previous designs there was a news-item about this. If I read this news again it seems the bit about remastered sound existed only in my mind. It must have been wishful thinking. Sorry about that.... I used the internet time machine (www.archive.org) to find that newsitem again, as the current design does not go back that far:

Symphony X back catalog to be reissued (28-Sep-2001)

Inside Out Music America has struck an agreement with EMI/Toshiba to release the original four titles in the Symphony X back catalog in the U.S. for the first time. Although no release date has yet been scheduled, the titles will most likely hit stores sometime in early 2002. Inside Out Music America is currently considering ideas on possibly repackaging the titles as well possible bonus tracks for the U.S. debut.
So if I understand you all correctly I should not expect any change at all. Since I live outside the USA, that probably means these re-issues have no added value for me. If someone knows otherwise please tell, I think more people would like to know.

So if I understand you all correctly I should not expect any change at all. Since I live outside the USA, that probably means these re-issues have no added value for me. If someone knows otherwise please tell, I think more people would like to know. [/B]

I just verified this today with Inside Out. Releases are just straight reissues. Go but those European copies since they are available to you :) Release date in the US is still destined for mid August. August 13 according to cdnow and Spun.

Glenn