Symphony X's Iconoclast

I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it continues in the vein of Paradise Lost because I just can't get into more than a couple songs pre-Paradise Lost. I am a little put off by how the 'full' edition of the album is going to cost more than the single-CD version, though. I'll still buy it, but meh.

I was also going to see them live on May 1st but due to a lack of money I'll have to pass it up. Darn it!

Nippleson: If you can't get into more than a couple of songs on PL, how come you want the new one to continue in that vein? Or was it just a typo?

I'm sure the album will be stellar. SX were never my favorite band, but man, these guys can play!

I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it continues in the vein of Paradise Lost because I just can't get into more than a couple songs pre-Paradise Lost.
I hope so as well. Paradise Lost is so damn intense. Russell's vocals on that one kinda reminded me of death metal because he growled a lot on it.

what's somewhat funny about Symphony X is that despite their name, they're not that symphonic at all these days!

Nippleson: If you can't get into more than a couple of songs on PL, how come you want the new one to continue in that vein? Or was it just a typo?
He said that he HOPES the new one to continue in the same vein....I doubt that was a typo, to be honest.

Nono, I said I couldn't get into more than a couple of songs from before that album. I like Paradise Lost.

Yes. Other than Inferno, In The Dragon's Den, and The Odyssey... can't really enjoy much of their stuff! Just doesn't keep me interested. Paradise Lost had a really heavy sound that I enjoyed a lot. It didn't seem as over-the-top as their other stuff.

Yeah, sorry, totally forgot the pre-part of your post.
Hey don't worry about it dude, we all make mistakes sometimes. :)

Anyway I think that Iconoclast will be similar to Paradise Lost.....naturally.....because bands usually tend to follow the same vibe as their previous album. And if that's the case here then this is awesome for 1928.....I'm just assuming though of course!

Love Symphony X. Love pretty much all their stuff especially Paradise Lost, Damnation Game, Divine Wings of Tragedy and even the debut with Rod Tyler. Would like to hear another big, bold, concept album like Odyssey though.

After releasing this, thing are looking very promising :headbang: :

Drink in them keys :p

Last edited by a moderator:
There was 3 songs from Iconoclast in their setlist on the recent UK tour - definitely following in the vain of Paradise Lost albeit slightly heavier. They really set the bar high on the last record and so far Iconoclast is looking very... very promising

Yep I was pretty impressed with the two or three new songs they performed live when I saw them and I'm confident it'll be a great album, although I'm not too impressed with the fact that they're going to release two versions of it, one of which is essentially an incomplete version of the album.

I agree with Kingface, I'm not happy about the incomplete version of the album. I'll buy the full edition, but... grumble grumble.

I only listened to The End of Innocence once but I'm stoked. Can't wait to hear Dehumanized and this one on tour - they're actually playing almost every one of my favorite songs by them on this tour, which is so awesome. And they're doing The Odyssey as an encore, probably because Nevermore dropped out! I'm psyched for Sunday to roll around now.

We had the pleasure of hearing 3 new tracks off the album on the UK tour. They sounded great as ever, looking forward to the album.

Album art:

SymphonyX_Iconoclast_cover.jpg

Track listing:

1. Iconoclast – 10:53
2. The End of Innocence – 5:29
3. Dehumanized – 6:49
4. Bastards of the Machine – 4:58
5. Heretic – 6:26
6. Children of a Faceless God – 6:22
7. Electric Messiah – 6:15
8. Prometheus (I am Alive) – 6:48
9. When All Is Lost – 9:10