Symphony X's Iconoclast

Got the album myself, and I'm glad I went for the special edition. The discussions online are indeed interesting - people seem to either love or hate it, I haven't really seen anything in between!

Personally, I think it's their best album yet. Then again, I'm not the typical Symphony X fan because I don't really enjoy their early material. But it has some wonderful music and Russell Allen is at the top of his game.

I checked it out the other day. It's very good, great guitar work...but maybe slips into the slightly forgettable category? Then again, most albums seem to do that with me, lately.

The first CD has not one bad track, in my opinion - there's one ballad (When All Is Lost) but it doesn't drag on at all and it's actually one of the best on both of the discs. The second CD has excellent material too, though it's just barely below the first CD for me. Bastards of the Machine, Dehumanized, When All Is Lost are three of my favorite tracks from the album - though Light Up The Night and Electric Messiah on the second disc are pretty killer tunes too.

EDIT: I think most Symphony X fans will dig the album, even if Paradise Lost left a bad taste in their mouth. It might be a bit less appealing to those who really enjoy their early, Odyssey/Divine Wings-era material but it's certainly worth checking out if you're a Symphony X fan at all. I know it helped really turn me around to the band, at least. :D

It's been a few spins now and I've come to the conclusion that it's overall a good album. It's not great, it won't challenge my high ranking of their earlier stuff (debut, Damnation Game, Divine Wings of Tragedy) but it's a solid release and there's plenty to like. The double CD is definitely the one to listen to. As a man who is currently wearing a Paradise Lost tshirt :D I'm happy that this release didn't break the mold but I can sympathise to an extent with the 'unmemorable' feeling some might be having - though Dehumanized, The End of Innocence, Heretic are gems. If anything I'm actually a teeny but disappointed it didn't go into more depth - I'd have loved another big conceptual epic!

It's a great album, not too much variety but very consistent. I prefer CD2 by the way, Light up the Night, Lords of Chaos and Reign in Fire close the album perfectly. I also love the semi ballad on the first disc.