Sync'ing desktop folder to external drive folder

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Hey Guys- I want to sync a folder on my desktop (Win8) to a folder on an external hard drive. If I take that external drive and work on a project on a different computer I want it to update the folder on my desktop when plugged in again to my laptop. Likewise, when I work on projects on my laptop, I want it to update the files on my external drive when plugged in. In other words, the most up-to-date files are used.

Is there a way to do this without a 3rd party program? Anything included in Windows 8 to make this possible. If not, any good freebee programs? (I don't want to use a cloud based service. Just want to do sync'ing with my external physical drive.)

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I saw that, but I've heard it doesn't work with Windows 8. (Windows 8 isn't listed as a supported OS.)

Windows also used to have something called Sync Center. But I can't find it anywhere in Windows 8, so I assume it is no longer part of Windows. I'm guessing they expect people to use Skydrive, but as I mentioned, I need something that's not internet/cloud based.

Cheers.

There is a sync center shortcut in my win 8 control panel. Well, actually I'm on 8.1 but I swear it was there before the update. Hope you find the solution you're looking for!