Problems with iTunes

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
I'm trying to put iOS5 on my devices. I did an update last night and noticed that everything is going on the main hardrive on my mac. So i took that folder and moved it to the external, then changed the preferences in iTunes so it would recognize that folder. Well today I go to do the new OS and its telling me that it cant find anything. So I started to transfer all my purchases to itunes again and its still going on the main hard drive. What am I doing wrong that I cant get everything to just live on the external. Does it HAVE to be on the main drive?

No. I actually just switched my iTunes library over to a brand new external drive last week. If you are on Mac you hold alt/option + click on iTunes and a window will pop up asking you where your library is, navigate to it and select the iTunes Libary file. Worked perfectly fine for me. You can't just change it in preferences, it doesn't work that way. I think it's shift + open iTunes on Windows if you are on that.

I'm trying to put iOS5 on my devices. I did an update last night and noticed that everything is going on the main hardrive on my mac. So i took that folder and moved it to the external, then changed the preferences in iTunes so it would recognize that folder. Well today I go to do the new OS and its telling me that it cant find anything. So I started to transfer all my purchases to itunes again and its still going on the main hard drive. What am I doing wrong that I cant get everything to just live on the external. Does it HAVE to be on the main drive?

No, mine isn't on the main drive. Preferences>Advanced>iTunes Media Folder Location

No. I actually just switched my iTunes library over to a brand new external drive last week. If you are on Mac you hold alt/option + click on iTunes and a window will pop up asking you where your library is, navigate to it and select the iTunes Libary file. Worked perfectly fine for me. You can't just change it in preferences, it doesn't work that way. I think it's shift + open iTunes on Windows if you are on that.

Ill give that a shot and see what happens. This will also take all my iphone/ipod and ipad stuff and move to the external as well?

No, mine isn't on the main drive. Preferences>Advanced>iTunes Media Folder Location

This is what I thought so i changed it and it went back to the main drive.

ok so i did the whole option/click thing. It moved everything like i wanted. Then i go to do the update on my ipad, and BAM, new folder on the main drive again. Im starting to think it might not be possible.

It is possible, I just did last week man. Here is an idea. Undo it all. Put everything back on the main drive like back to how it used to be. Then just copy the iTunes folder where you want it to be. Then do the option+click iTunes and locate the library file. I have a feeling since you just moved it and then changed it in preferences something is messed up. That isn't how you do it. I have opened iTunes probably 50 times since I moved my library over and it's still locating it on the external drive like I want it. It is possible, I am proof. Every time I open iTunes I can open Prefs and it shows this:

Screen%20shot%202011-10-13%20at%202.10.36%20PM.png

You do not simply change the path in iTunes preferences. You have to Option+click iTunes so it asks where your library is for it to change it.

It is possible, I just did last week man. Here is an idea. Undo it all. Put everything back on the main drive like back to how it used to be. Then just copy the iTunes folder where you want it to be. Then do the option+click iTunes and locate the library file. I have a feeling since you just moved it and then changed it in preferences something is messed up. That isn't how you do it. I have opened iTunes probably 50 times since I moved my library over and it's still locating it on the external drive like I want it. It is possible, I am proof. Every time I open iTunes I can open Prefs and it shows this:

Screen%20shot%202011-10-13%20at%202.10.36%20PM.png

You do not simply change the path in iTunes preferences. You have to Option+click iTunes so it asks where your library is for it to change it.

Thats the thing, I did exactly what you said, it asked me where the library was and i located it. I ended up undoing it all before I tried it just to make sure. The library is fine. Its the devices thats the problem. Everytime I update my iphone or ipad it makes a new folder on the main drive for all the apps etc. Its locating all my music perfectly fine, and it even ended up putting some missing shit back onto my phone. But now with the iPad its making the new folder again.

Fuck that is weird. Well then all I can say is hit up the Apple forums for help on this, I only have an iPhone so I dunno why it's doing that with other devices. If it works for iPhone there is no reason it shouldn't work for iPad/iPod as well, but that's just how I see it.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Something weird is going on but I cant figure it out. Back on the search I go. Thanks for the help though dude you did fix some of the situation for me I didnt know about the option/click.