syncing rhythm and lead guitar

Jan 13, 2008
Ok my friends want to start a band and want me to play lead and vocals.(melodic black metal)
I have a problem ive played in little garage metal bands(i live in nyc so garage is a metaphor) with me, a bass player and a drummer.
But ive never played with another guitarist before.
neither has he so im very confused on how to start a sync?
Yes i know the question is very stupid sounding but please try to answer.

It's the exact same as playing with a bassist and a drummer. You just play at the same time. It takes practice to get very tight together, but once you do the result is awesome.

Also, make sure you EQ your guitar amps to complement each other's sound. What sounds good in a one guitar band setting won't necessarily work in a two guitar band.

Do yourself a favor and learn time signatures. And get a metronome and get the timing in your head or even play with it at the same time. It really pays off, trust me. Soon after you'll find how simple rythmic patterns can be. ( i.e. 1234 1234 1234 1234 ---- standard rythm or even just 1 2 3 4)

I don't see how playing with another guitar is any different from playing with any other instrument. As far as I'm concerned, you're all playing with the drummer. To be honest though, that isn't what stuck out to me the most. They want you to be the vocalist and LEAD guitarist? That sounds a bit over ambitious for someone who isn't sure if he can play in time with another guitarist. I'm not trying to be an ass about this, so please don't interpret it that way, it just seems a bit odd to me. I think the norm is that the vocalist plays rhythm, unless of course your name is Suicmez or Laiho.

I don't see how playing with another guitar is any different from playing with any other instrument. As far as I'm concerned, you're all playing with the drummer. To be honest though, that isn't what stuck out to me the most. They want you to be the vocalist and LEAD guitarist? That sounds a bit over ambitious for someone who isn't sure if he can play in time with another guitarist. I'm not trying to be an ass about this, so please don't interpret it that way, it just seems a bit odd to me. I think the norm is that the vocalist plays rhythm, unless of course your name is Suicmez or Laiho.

or mustaine...could probably think of a couple others, but I'm lazy...

I agree with that...A, it isn't any different b/c you play with the drums, and B, that's sorta nuts...

EDIT: Schuldiner, of course...

Can't see what so special about playig with other instrument or singing while playing being it rythm or lead.

Can't see what so special about playig with other instrument or singing while playing being it rythm or lead.
Theoretically, there shouldn't be any difference between one's ability to play in time with different types of instruments, which is exactly my point. As for singing while playing, lead parts are presumably more complex than rhythm parts, and therefore require more physical coordination to perform. This is why it's the norm for vocalists to play rhythm, or to not play anything at all, whereas only elite musicians are likely to perform complex leads and vocals simultaneously.

Do yourself a favor and learn time signatures. And get a metronome and get the timing in your head or even play with it at the same time. It really pays off, trust me. Soon after you'll find how simple rythmic patterns can be. ( i.e. 1234 1234 1234 1234 ---- standard rythm or even just 1 2 3 4)

I agree, and this is a good tool to use directly from a site if you practice online http://www.metronomeonline.com/

There my friends but there all completely new to music bedsides the drummer.
As for the vocals it was going to be the bass player before i pointed out why he cant talk after he practices vocals.
He said how should i do it And i should him how to growl with out shredding your throat and then they said they wanted me to.

Are you sure you want to start a band with people who are so new to music? I tried this with my brother and a few other friends about five years ago and it was a complete failure. I was the only one who wrote any music, and unfortunately I was also the only one who could write music. If it were a solo band and they were just helping out with the instrumentation, that would be one thing, but as a group effort, having one real musician doesn't really work, because everyone has their own idea for the type of sound they want to produce, but lack the ability to create it and just end up being overly critical of your contributions instead of doing anything to help out.

EDIT: I ended up quitting the band without telling anyone :p

lol your mean dude.
No its not like that i didn't start this i was asked into it.
Im just doing it for fun that doesn't mean i wanna not take it serious tho.
(incase there reading this)