Synth/Key Players

PhantoMPhones

owning your ass since '03
Jul 19, 2008
Any synth or keys players around here? Can't find anything with search and I'd love to discuss stuff with fellow synth/key players.

lol, well its a start ^.^

Tagradh : Do you actively play piano? If so, do you use a piano or a keyboard/workstation anything like that?

Anyone do sampling?

What songs do you usually play? I usually play songs that our band is playing and some Warmen stuff.

lol, well its a start ^.^

Tagradh : Do you actively play piano? If so, do you use a piano or a keyboard/workstation anything like that?

Anyone do sampling?

I take lessons, got a piano downstairs and for using with the PC a crappy 5 octave keyboard.

Right now I'm working with a Roland SH-201 Synthesizer, coupled with a yamaha POS keyboard. Im looking at buying a roland sp-555 or sp-404 sampler. But alas, I am a poor mofo right now.

I have a Casio LK300TV. I generally don't play it, but I can hook it up to my computer and have it play my own MIDIs and watch the light show. Some day I will make a music video that is just tablature scrolling by while my lighted keyboard plays in the dark.

There is a keyboardist thread a couple pages back. There are a couple players here but not too many.

I play in a band, recorded with other bands etc...

I almost bought a SH201 a couple months ago but I ended up finding a JP8000 and got that instead. Its a fun board, I'm just using it now for my lead board live but it still rocks.

Tatu thats cool that you're playing the Warmen stuff, you got to have some sick chops to play that stuff.

My band's site is in my sig, mine is
www.myspace.com/shreddy

I have played piano for many years, but I'm newbie at synth stuff. I only have Roland EXR-7s keyboard that is good for piano stuff but not so good for Warmen/Bodom stuff. It would also be nice to have separate instrument for band. Can anymore recommend what synthesizer to buy? Keytar would be nice but there aren't any around.

Keytars are generally just controllers so you would need a board or a sound module to get the sounds out of.

I'm using a Roland XP30 which was a downgrade from my Roland XV88 but it was about 70lbs lighter to transport, 88 keys are awesome as long as you dont have to move them around. The XP30 is still a solid board even though its 9 years old. The nice thing about it being so old is that you can find one used for a good price.

The XP30 is 61 keys, has 2 SRJV expansion slots, and has 3 expansion cards added to its memory, Orchestra, Session, Techno. You will get lots of use out of the Orchestra and Session tones good stuff. With the 2 open slots you could add Vintange Synths or Keys of the 60s and 70s depending on what your looking to do. For leads the base waveforms have enough to get some decent leads, you will have to do some editing or look around online for patches to download.

SH-201 isn't a bad little v-synth..It's perfect for people just starting out who want to learn how synthesis works. Great interface, lots of knobs and lights ^.^ However, I am finding I am outgrowing it rather quickly. As I play with it in a band, I am pushing everything to the limit, and unfortunately theres only so much I can make my machine do. I was interested in saving for a nice'ish workstation (I was thinking a Yamaha MO8) but then I also got looking into samplers (after much inspiration from the slipknot show 2 weeks ago).. I was looking at a Roland sp-555 which is nice, but seems a little expensive, so I'm looking at purchasing an SP-404, which still seems like a half decent sampler , and its 1/3 the price of the 555... But I'm just not sure if I should go with a sampler or a workstation... Granted the workstation will cost me about 10x (literally) as much. My step-father also says that the workstation will be able to function well as a sampler, but I'm not sure... Can anyone give some insight into the sampler capabilities of a decent workstation compared to a standalone sampler?

What is V-Synth? :p I don't know much about this stuff, I just got into this stuff after playing piano for many years. Is there website/forum that is dedicated to synth/keyboard stuff? Because I have NO idea what synthesizer to buy.

Phones, There really isnt too many standalone samplers anymore unless your looking at the loop modules. Just about all the workstations have sampling options some better than others. The Motifs are really nice instruments.

Tatu, The V-synth is a excellent instrument but its more than likely the wrong instrument for you. Its basically only going to give you analog synth sounds, nothing like instrument sounds (Piano, brass, orchestra ect..) You have to at it like how phones is, he saw slipnot and wanted to get into samplers. Your into Warmen and I assume COB he mainly uses a rompler. That term basically describes a synth that does instrument emulation based off of internal samples, thats pretty much what I play.

Anyway one of the best resources for keyboardists is the Jordan Rudess message board.

Thanks for info. I will check Jordan Rudess message board after school. =)
PS: Downfall by cobhc is fun and easy to play on keyboard

Edit:I found out that many players on youtube who have awesome sounds use Korg X5/X50/X5D. So would this be what I'm looking for? And what about Roland Juno Stage? I plan to play live a lot more. Anyone know something about it?

Has anyone tried one of the Roland VP-550 Vocal and Ensemble keyboards? I've been reading up and it seems like a killer deal, especially for someone plays in an epic power metal setting, or anything where an epic choir would be handy. I haven't had the chance to demo one yet.

Also, I'm in the market for an economic synth, and I'm looking at a Roland Juno-D as a possiblity. Has anyone played on before, and are the performance function worth the money?