Synth Orchestra Composing Question

Siriun

Apr 24, 2012
So I had a question for all you composers and song writers out there who compose orchestral parts for your songs. My questions is that when you write, Do you write out whole parts for The strings, Brass, woodwinds and choir sections? Or do you just write out 3 different lines for the strings?

I know there's no definite answer because there's no wrong or right way to go about doing it. And it all depends on the song and what you want to do with it but I'm asking what seems to be more of the popular better idea to go with.

I don't want to score out like 20 different parts for all these instruments (ie: oboe, french horn, tuba, viola, cello, etc.) because I feel that with distorted rhythm guitars, bass, drums and vocals it kinda gets lost and you can't hear the clarity of the individual orchestra lines as well. I know a lot of people will just throw a string section in and compose about 3-4 different lines going on with the song but I'm really wanting to know what would people recommend as far as space in a mix so it all glues together well. I'm mainly asking this because I know from experience that mixing a lot of layered guitars, bass, vocals, additional fx or synth and a whole orchestra can be tough to get pretty balanced and all sit well with clarity. Any advice on how to approach writing orchestra and how I should group them so balance and clarity are prime?

Thanks!

Hey man,

dont know what you actual wanna know. I mean that is in every song different. Do you need Inspiration how you should built this orchestra ?

here some songs of a really good austrian band i like:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXTT2av9uw&feature=related[/ame]

maybe it help you and maybe i completly missunderstood you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, A HUGE influence to me when it comes to composing and production value with extreme metal and orchestra is Dimmu Borgir. More notably their 2007 album 'In Sorte Diaboli' had some of the best production I've heard in Black Metal. I fell in love with that record because not only were the compositions of the orchestra so lush and full of color but the mix was so well done. That's what I'm aiming for. As far as this thread, I'm asking how I should go about writing for an orchestra part for metal. Like I said above, would it be best to write out all individual parts for 10-20 different instruments like in a real orchestra score? My flaw with that is I'm worried it'll get too clouded and buried in the mix but at the same time I know if I just slapped some strings in there it would stand out more but still not fill my hunger for the full symphonic effect.

hm i think you answerd it by yourself :) I would say if you have a vision of a sound then make it ... yeah i think it will be very difficult but i think its a bad idea if you not do it because your afraid of the mixing part.... The best thing was to write songs in Guitar Pro just to hear the notes/melodies and not the sound .... i did that in the past ... now my ears forces me to write in cubase :D but i would write what you like and worrie about the mixing part when its time to mix :D