Synths for metal

chinchek

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2009
hey guys, i am doing some recording on my own for fun. i bought myself a midi keyboard and i am looking for a synth program to go along with metal style. example: Children of bodom sound in 'living dead beat'... geez well sounds that will go along with power/epic metal.

edit: if anyone listens to Hammerfall - Carved in Stone, the intro is a great example..pretty much exactly what i am looking for, everything that you hear in the intro before they start playing guitar [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQzAOUbh2k&feature=related&fmt=18[/ame]

nice thank you! i always thought power metal uses stuff like violins, cellos and such =P?

I love the mini Korg.. but that's if you don't mind the small keys! - Great sounding synth! Check them out and if you're interested, I can give you more info.

Most CoB sounds come either from Roland JV serie modules or (might be wrong) Korg X5 or similar. The beef is more in the stompboxes and sick stuff you use..for example try running a simple smooth lead into a Pod (might have one around or can borrow from your guitarist in the studio) and you're up for some sick lead tones. Synth1 is very good actually, for a soft synth. I personally think Reason's Subtractor with Reason's distortion module..I don't remember how it's called..can get you some sweet stuff. You can check my web site for some reason sounds in the style of Janne's lead.

Hope that helps!

i think omnisphere is what you need

off topic here:
Jevil ARE YOU A MEMBER OF EL RENO RENARDO????

Most CoB sounds come either from Roland JV serie modules or (might be wrong) Korg X5 or similar. The beef is more in the stompboxes and sick stuff you use..for example try running a simple smooth lead into a Pod (might have one around or can borrow from your guitarist in the studio) and you're up for some sick lead tones. Synth1 is very good actually, for a soft synth. I personally think Reason's Subtractor with Reason's distortion module..I don't remember how it's called..can get you some sweet stuff. You can check my web site for some reason sounds in the style of Janne's lead.

Hope that helps!

Some Korg controller > 3x JV1080's > I think a RAT petal >

There's more to it then people thing IMO. Find some tutorials on Jans lead, add some distortion and there's Jannes.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/450730-those-who-play-program-alot-keys-synths-etc.html

If you've got reason, I can hook you up with a lead patch that sounds nearly like FTR era bodom.

Yep, and Korg Legacy VST has massive tweakability too! +1

For a cheap but good quality strings and orchestral percussion don't look past Edirol Orchestral. However, the brass sections don't sound too good, not that it matters unless you cover Progenies of the Great Apocalypse lol.

For choirs, Magnus Choir

For Mellotron, Mellowsound (free)

I've been looking for some more ambient synth plug ins, I'm looking for like the rhythmic pulsating type that you can set to a tempo

open for suggestions

I've been looking for some more ambient synth plug ins, I'm looking for like the rhythmic pulsating type that you can set to a tempo

open for suggestions

Albino (Linplug), Massive and Absynth (Native Instruments) might have some interesting solutions..don't be scared from their "dancefloor" attitude, there are some very interesting sounds in there.

For our latest album I used the following: Korg Triton Extreme, Roland XV-5050, Clavia Nord Electro II, Clavia Nord Lead 2x, Roland SH-2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Yamaha AN1x, Akai SG01v, MAM MB3.

The point is, you can make anything work. I try to stay away from the "usual" stuff and come up with something a bit more .. dare I say, original?

Alas, in retrospect, I failed :ill: since I used a hefty dose of traditional sounds like choirs and strings... There is a reason why these sounds are used, they just work! :)

open for suggestions

if you have Reason, the Maelstrom sounds mostly produce this type of thing with the ability to tweak all diff aspects of it. i'm sure there are tons of other programs that as well, but i've only used Reason.

I have never "really" used Reason but I have to say on the software-side it's more straight-ahead "synth rack" go-to software ever. Forget about the sequencer, detach it and use it as a virtual rack. The sound modules and the effects units *along with the catchy interface that subliminally gives you more GAS* work very well to cover the keyboards player side of a production.

Some good refills I've tried include: Reason Strings, Reason Pianos and Reason Drum Kits (might be useless for keyboard sounds purposes). Subtractor+Scream=Rising Force leads 24/7.