Syria.

It might be a good move for Obama and Co. to say "hey you know what, we heard the people speak and we have decided not to attack Syria." In fact I am thinking they may do this because it will be a great PR move that bullshits us into believing that our government actually listens to us.

The flipside is that if our government does not listen, and Obama and Co. decide to start this war, it may possibly unite some of the liberals and right wingers in a single cause. I think the worst thing for our government would be democrat and republican citizens agreeing on a major topic like this one. I don't think you want radical hippies and conservative texans protesting the government together. Things may get bloody at that point.

It might be a good move for Obama and Co. to say "hey you know what, we heard the people speak and we have decided not to attack Syria." In fact I am thinking they may do this because it will be a great PR move that bullshits us into believing that our government actually listens to us.

He'll need dental work after a speach like that from gritting his teeth so hard because imo, this is about him, not we the people as a nation or what's right for the international community. He'll have to eat shit and grin.

The flipside is that if our government does not listen, and Obama and Co. decide to start this war, it may possibly unite some of the liberals and right wingers in a single cause. I think the worst thing for our government would be democrat and republican citizens agreeing on a major topic like this one. I don't think you want radical hippies and conservative texans protesting the government together. Things may get bloody at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because avoiding war involves score keeping? ;)
Avoiding ???

The war started 2 years ago and already took more than 100000 human lives, the war happens right now, most probably someone is dying there right when you are reading this message.

It was not about avoiding, it was about helping one side (which in my opinion doesn't really deserve the help because it is just as bad as the other side) win it.

What you guys think of this part:
Terrorism Totally Works!

Al-Qaida spent about $500,000 executing the 9/11 terror attacks. The U.S. government has spent up to $5 trillion fighting back. One expert estimated we're spending about $400 million per life saved.

In other words, for every dollar the bad guys spent, we lost 10 million. And that's not even counting the money lost due to the economic slump that followed. That, friends, is one hell of a return on an investment. Also: The 9/11 attacks killed 2,996 people. The response has killed 224,475 and displaced another 7.8 million refugees.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-weirdest-things-weve-learned-since-911/#ixzz2egiiR61W

The sad truth about the terrorism chase...

You are aware that RT is owned by the Kremlin and is an extension of Vladimir Putin's propaganda machine, right? If you really hate imperialism, wars of choice, and resource-based foreign policy, I don't think Russia is really your game.

The people making some of the videos you guys are linking to have absolutely zero qualifications to be analyzing foreign policy or talking about chemical weapons or war. Why anyone would believe this junk completely beyond me. Don't rely on Alex Jones to form your opinions.

You are aware that RT is owned by the Kremlin and is an extension of Vladimir Putin's propaganda machine, right? If you really hate imperialism, wars of choice, and resource-based foreign policy, I don't think Russia is really your game.

How do you know this? I don't doubt you, considering it's easy to see the Russian all over their website.

I think it's good to hear the other side too and make your own conclusions.

I think it's good to hear the other side too and make your own conclusions.

Good point. I'll start getting my news about China from Xinhua and the Global Times, too. And while I'm at it, I hear Iran and Saudi Arabia have some really great state-owned media companies.

How do you know this? I don't doubt you, considering it's easy to see the Russian all over their website.

"RT, previously known as Russia Today, is an international multilingual Russian-based television network. It is registered as an autonomous non-profit organization[2][3] funded by the federal budget of Russia through the Federal Agency on Press and Mass Communications of the Russian Federation.[4][5]"

It's like Fox News on really devious, awful steroids. At least Pravda was forthcoming about its ideological perspective.

If the RT network bothers you, you can also hear Abby's views via the independent Media Roots project, or through the various podcasts and guest spots she has starred in. I certainly think it's unfortunate that a rival state's national, quasi-propaganda station is the only way alternative news is able to see the light of day on television. Few sources are truly independent, so to find the 'truth' in it all one often has to spectate from both sides of the fence, and form their own conclusions.

Though I do like how the network was cited as the chief point of contention, rather than the actual substance of the video itself. It shows an interesting predisposition bias - not that discreditation by association is a new concept to humankind. I suppose by the same subset of reasoning one might consider the ~50 or so US-broadcast networks to be owned by the Whitehouse, and a natural part of Obama's propaganda machine.

I also find the concept of credentialism quite engaging. You generally find those with a history and vestment within the academic system very prone to engage in it. So much so, in fact, that they will often make very obtuse, or irrelevant points simply to continue to remain within their educational comfort zone. Again, these forms of superficial dismissal are an interesting byproduct of an elitist academic society, where arbitrary, state-granted gradations are somehow mistaken for an individual's ability to think independently.

Good point. I'll start getting my news about China from Xinhua and the Global Times, too. And while I'm at it, I hear Iran and Saudi Arabia have some really great state-owned media companies.
That is a good starting point. It will only widen your horizon. AP is a good source too.

How many here knew that the troops have actually left Iraq? I didn't until I read the cracked.com article... Seems they retreated with little to no noise about it. Compare to the fanfar celebration of WWII. Did we win in Iraq? :lol: