System of a Down

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
G'day

Mark bought their new CD, "Toxicity", today and after stealing it and listening to it myself I must say that I'm very impressed. Anyone else here like them, or are they one of those 'popular' bands that I shouldn't actually admit to liking?

"Chop Suey!" is a great song! Hadn't heard them before hearing that song earlier in the week.

i believe i helped introduce mark to them and yes they go FUCKIN OFF!!!

i cant believe ppl dont know of 'em they should help overtake the world :D

i been into them since i first heard of 'em 3 or 4 yrs ago now

:loco:

I had heard of them, just hadn't heard them until this week (that I'm aware of). What bands similar to them are worth checking out?

I actually heard my first Pantera song this week as well (Psycho Holiday, or something) and I've decided to definitely check them out one day. All these bands I've heard of and I've been too flippin' lazy to bother downloading a tune or two!

there is NO band like SOAD which is what makes 'em sooo fuckin good:D

get off ya arse and check out the pantera albums..WULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER, GREAT SOUTHERN TRENDKILL,REINVENTING THE STEEL they the best :)

i cant believe you have know mark and havent heard of/heard pantera you are either real young or live in some sorta hole dude

I've HEARD OF Pantera, just haven't heard any of their stuff!! :) For years I just listened to power/prog metal, and was pretty snobby towards any other band that had any sort of success in the mainstream (ie, I saw kids walk around town with their t-shirts on). Then I decided to get a Fear Factory album (Obsolete), was blown away by it and then figured I should open my mind a bit more. Just haven't gotten around to getting any Pantera yet, even though I've been meaning to for a couple of years now.

I'm not young (I'm 25) but I did live in Ipswich for 20-something years, so I guess I fit into the "lived in some sorta hole" part of your statement :)

Speaking of bands with mainstream success, are there any of the so-called 'nu metal' bands that are actually worth checking out and just get lumped with that tag because of slight similarities in styles, or should I steer clear of all of them?

Godsmack are really really good :D Really good :) Think pantera crossed with really heavy alice in chains with a great vocalist and thats pretty much them.

I love slipknot, I cant see the vocals bothering you as they yell just like fear factory, though they swear a lot more :) Though id imagine you would know by now whether you like them or not!

You know about Fear Factory, but if you havent bought their new one Digimortal, get it, its their best by far IMO.

Erm, thats about all I can think of at the moment......hope it helps :)

Same deal with Slipknot - haven't heard any of their stuff yet. Any listening suggestions just for starters?

I have Digimortal, but can't get into it all that much. I'll leave it for a few more weeks then have another crack at it, I think.

Thanks, Spawny!

Get the song "surfacing" and the song "sic" by slipknot. Both those will give you a very good idea of them, both songs rule :)

With Godsmack, get "Sick of life" and "immune" they rule too :)

Yes, give Digimortal another chance, its their best by far :)

Have ya had a listen to Staind? that is good stuff...the diterbed aint too bad neither..cant believe ya were a snob to all this gear..dude you have been missing out

Oooh Disturbed! Frogot about them....... Not a classic band, but very good, I bought their album anyway :)
Ive got stainds first album, im not a huge fan of it I gotta say, it goes too heavy and sounds REALLY muddy to my ears, but they have sold 5 million records or something, so what the hell do I know? :)

The only Staind song I've heard is the one being played on the radio a lot lately - I'm guessing that's not what most of their stuff is like, though :)

haha nup, the rest of its HEAVY with a capital H (and a capital E,A,V and Y) or more specifically, very low sounding heavy.

Downloaded an mp3 of Slipknot's "The Heretic Anthem" from "Iowa" (their latest album, I think?) and I was quite impressed. Might have to check some more stuff out.

They're the band that wears the wacky masks, right?

There are quite a few good numetal bands around. System of a Down are an awesome band. Other bands/albums worth checking out:
Deftones - Around The Fur, White Pony - first album Adrenaline is not quite as good
Sevendust - Home
Static X - Wisconsin Death Trip, Machine
Tool - Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus
Amen - Amen, We Have Come For Your Parents
Mudvayne - LD50
Drowning Pool - Sinner
Disturbed - The Sickness

For more metal stuff check out:
Paradise Lost - Icon, Draconian Times, One Second, Host, Believe In Nothing
PL are a great British metal band but I don't know that many people who are into them.

I have Tool's Aenima but could never get into it. I also have most of Paradise Lost's albums except for the two newest ones. Great band - Draconian Times is one of my all-time faves, as is One Second.

Originally posted by Spiff

They're the band that wears the wacky masks, right?

Thats them :) Get sic and surfacing, they are way better than Heretic anthem!

Originally posted by Southy
my fav Slipknot song has gotta be eyeless..dunno why just think it is fuckin execellent

Oooh, thats a good one too :)
By the way, does the line in that song "You cant see california without marlon brandos eyes" come from a movie or something? Its just a VERY bizarre line to me, i dont know if its a quote or something :confused:

dont think so...maybe just some sorta reference tooo how he been around in hollywood for so long??
I dunno but im pretty sure it aint a quote...dont quote me on that though