Syzygy

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
/bandpics/syzygy3.jpg​

Syzygy are clearly one of the more unique bands in Australia. Playing experimental progressive metal, they have seemingly broken all the rules to get where they are today.

Paul Cooper gives us the lowdown on yet another great unsigned Aussie metal band worth keeping an eye on.

Hailing from Perth, Australia the band features:

/bandpics/syzygy2.jpg
Andro Mestrovich (guitar), Damien Petrelli (drums), Mili Separovic (keyboards), Jarred Scagliotta (guitar)

Now I bet you are asking yourself "what about the bass player and the vocalist?" Well to put it simply, Syzygy do not need a bass player or a vocalist. Syzygy's music is based around strong musical themes that are more than enough to satisfy the most sceptical listener. Effortlessly flowing between complex syncopated rhythms, beautiful melodies and rip-roaring crunch, Syzygy songs are rollercoaster ride of musical brilliance.

While carefully avoiding self-indulgence or less eloquently "musical masturbation" which you might think would plague a progressive instrumental band, Syzygy play with flair and finesse but at a restrained level. All excellent musicians in their own right, they could quite easily shred their way through extended complex solos and the like, but instead they choose to concentrate on creating great songs and memorable musical moments.

Having recently played at the Powerfest, the easter SLAM and the inaugural Powerhouse (where they headlined) gigs, Syzygy will soon be celebrating their 5th birthday with a special gig. Having built up a base of hardcore fans over the last 5 years, they continue to amaze new and old audiences alike. Whether it's their occasional unconventional stage setups, the raw energy they exude from each performance or just the sheer sonic power of their music, you'd be hard pressed to find a punter disappointed after a Syzygy set.

Their determined vision and unwavering dedication to Perth's local music scene, has spawned an atmosphere in which progressive metal bands are starting to not only emerge, but thrive. Their uniqueness is clearly evident when you consider that Syzygy regularly play gigs with bands of nearly every style of heavy music, they are able to cross boundaries where most other bands have not.

/bandpics/syzygy1.jpg
After some serious technical difficulties and unfortunate setbacks, Syzygy's album Prominence will soon be available, with of course the ensuing CD launch gigs. In the meantime you can hear a few tracks from the album as well as some live performances at www.syzygy.net.au.

I try to get to as many Syzygy gigs as I can: they ROCK!!!!
Currently, they do have a bassist, who is a great guy (I might add), though still no vocalist...
They have also released Prominence and it is a truly great listen... look for it at MP3.com and also at any of their gigs (if you happen to be in Perth).