TALK ME OUT OF GETTING CLASSIC MOTU PCI GEAR.

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
The MOTU 1224 and MOTU 2408 PCI systems... there's a handful on ebay for >$300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTU-2408-MKII-core-system-w-PCI324-manuals-software_W0QQitemZ150353329662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2301c1bdfe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I know the 1224 is old as fuck, but I read that it's converters were (atleast for the time) the best you could get. I was gonna upgrade from a firepod to a firestudio tube, but now I'm exploring my options a tad. anyone have experience with the MOTU PCI systems? will the converters be noticably superior to a firepod? and finally, if so, what would be the ideal way to connect pre's, just lightpipe down via a digimax (or comparable preamp rack)?

franks in advance, duderinos.

i was speaking to metaltastic about the firestudio tube as i was going to get one - apparently they have little to none tube coloration on your sound at all its pretty much a gimmick. Look for the profire 2626 i think thats what i'll be getting. Motu drivers SUCK.

shit that was crazy timing bahaha yeah motu run okay on mac my friends dad has one..but other than that...nahhhhhh

i dunno doods, i'm a pretty hardcore PC nerd- i'm pretty sure that if MOTU works for SOME people that i can get it going, not to toot my own horn ;] driver issues are a zero concern for me, i'm avoiding vista like the plague. i want to know how it SOUNDS, in comparison to some newer options and if the technology is just totally and completely dated and worthless... or, if coupled with high-end modern pre's, I can achieve spectacular results on par with an RME or comparable high-end firewire interface.

as far as the firestudio tube- i have one of those $99 presonus tube pre's so I basically already know what to expect from the tube channel as far as coloration goes. It obviously doesn't rival a Neve but it seems to add a bit of saturation IMO, especially on screamy vox when used right. There is if nothing else a noticable difference from a solid state pre. The reason i'm so enticed by the firestudio tube is also the analog limiters on each tube channel- between squishing a signal with that and adding tube drive (even if it is cheap and gimmicky tube drive) and the fact that there's a total of TEN preamps on the thing just by itself as opposed to only 8 (no need to pick up an octopre or digimax as far as my needs go) it seems like a well-rounded purchase.

BUT- my MAIN concern, coming from an old firepod (got mine in '06 when they were still $600) is IMPROVED A/D conversion and (hopefully) a better sound in general. Thus my interest in the old MOTU PCI setups. I think presonus might've improved upon the pre's as well since the old firepod, they've since then started throwing around the "XMAX" term that wasn't used back in the old days of the firepod. but who knows, they could be the same with a new fancy title. input?

side-note: I've had my firepod replaced three times. and the theme of that MOTU hardware failure thread seems to be that they all had their problems resolved. Also i'm 5 minutes from MOTU headquarters in cambridge, MA. so if it really came down to it I could march on over there on my lunch break and plop a dead unit on the counter and demand answers! haha. Maybe i should just accept reality and start saving for an RME :erk:

yeah man, i dont dispute you are im a pretty hardcore comp nerd myself im studying electronics at uni, motu's in general though ive just never liked them or their software..i think they are more for those 'discrete' 'im following my dream of a 1 man acoustic band and harmonica' type of studio haha <-- wtf?

I like your arguments for the firestudio and especiallly the analog limiters they are defo a plus but i think i might stick with the profire as the method for getting them to work properly seems pretty full proof. ATM i dont think 2 tube pre's for an extra £100 is going to make a huge difference to my recording weaponz... i'd rather slave those extra £££ for some slate drums :p. It's your call at the end of the day man and if you get it and you dont like it you can sell it on for some more moolah or keep it as vintage gear is always <333..well vintage later on bahaha

yea the profire seems to be favored in many threads, but i'm a die-hard anti protools nazi and i think the PT option is what sways most people towards the profire. then again, since joey sturgis seems to embody everything i hope to someday become as a producer (bare essentials hardware, mixing 100% ITB with sceney-metalcore bands and making it sound awesome) maybe i'll just mimick his setup. now that there's a thread about it, and all. haha.

"my rack:
central station
rme 800
mackie onyx 800
pod xt (but i use pod farm)
monster power

thats it =]"

*buys scratch tickets*