Tape Mix With A Twist

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
So I'm doing a quick demo mix for a crossover-y band I'm in, and we're going for a vibey kind of feeling with what we had at our disposal. We quad tracked on Marshall JCM/Mesa Mark III sims, used double tracking and effects on the vocals but the coolest thing we did was run the masters through a cassette tape and then play it back through the interface. In my opinion it gave it a really cool sound, and gave everything a cool glue.

Tell me what you think, it's meant to be a demo rather than a professional sounding product, so don't overthink the quality of the mix. I just figured this was something I haven't seen a lot of and you might be interested in hearing the difference it makes; I've seen plenty of studio tape used but not cassettes. Obviously it's unorthodox but you use what you have.

Original

Tape Rip

Here's the tape deck, just an old hifi one:

IMG_20140831_033605.jpg

And the band if anyone digs the material:

a1212889736_10.jpg

bandcamp
facebook

Sounds good actually! I would be interested if you are able recreate this effect with TB Reelbus

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-reelbus/

They have an earlier products called Ferox which is more tape simulation while the above is tape emulation.

I often put a little bit of Reelbus or Ferox on vocals