Mastering for Tape - Tips?

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Has anyone here mastered anything to be released on tape? I'm wondering if you have any tips.

My band's demo is going to be released by a label on tape. I tried recording from CD onto a blank tape using my stereo, and I noticed that there's much less bass on the tape version, and many cymbal hits are causing pumping/tape compression/distortion.

Do you have any tips for mastering for tape? Maybe you increase bass, and limit less on you master buss? Or maybe set the limiter output to around -0.5 instead of -0.1? What do you think? What else?

Thanks

Well, it's "old school" and makes it a collector's item. Especially when the tape is printed in limited quantities.

We play old school death metal, so a completely retro format is "appropriate," you might say.

tapes?¿?¿ lol, good one

anyone remember that 8 tracks cassettes in the 60's ¿

eighttrack1red.JPG

You could master it like anything else. Whoever is doing the transfer/duplication would have watch the levels.

With chrome bias cassette you can peak at +3 dBVU
With normal bias, peak around +1

I wouldn't be to concerned with Dolby NR.

:erk:

Old school death metal is not a money-maker

Also, the tape will most likely sell out. All previous releases on this label have.

Ignore us! (I don't mean that is a sarcastic way) I think it's cool that you're doing something different, stick to your creative vision. No one has actually offer you any help so far :lol: I'm sure someone knows something.

I find the hiss and occaisional warble from an old cassette really adds a lot of atmospheric aesthetic. Likely a reason many black metal bands (including mine) opt to do cassette releases. I enjoy that quaintness of the format quite a bit and I have a sizable tape collection.