TARJA: Act I

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
From www.melodicrock.com :

"Hamburg, Germany, based label earMUSIC, the rock branch of entertainment company Edel, is happy to announce the release of Tarja's first ever solo live album as a rock singer. ACT I will hit stores August 24th across the globe, featuring breathtaking theatre performances from Argentina in sound and vision. The release will come in various formats: as a 2CD, a 2DVD and a Blu-Ray version.

ACT I is Tarja's first solo live audio and video product in her rock outfit. The main content was filmed and recorded on two show nights this March 2012 in Rosario, Argentina, at the Teatro El *Carculo. The video products include plenty of extras – video and photo material.

With the elaborate track listing and its extras, ACT I provides the full-fledged bill of fare to either Tarja fan. The track listing consists of Tarja's greatest solo tracks, Nightwish classics as well as some cover versions, such as Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom Of The Opera and marvellous Gary Moore's Over The Hills and Far Away – or to make it short: a unique blend of music selection. The setup of these HD filmed concerts meant an incredible extra work and effort in the live production - with an impressive result, but also an emotional rollercoaster-ride. Says Turunen: those two nights in Rosario were a huge emotional drive to me personally. The artist herself admits, she was many times ready to burst into tears.
ACT I, as the title already suggests, is the vanguard in a sequence of live products at a yet to be determined point of time. Fans and media can actively follow Tarja at www.tarja-act1.com on the road to release day of ACT I.

While releasing ACT I, Tarja is already working on her next solo studio album. ACT I already features two brand new tracks by the Finnish Soprno: Into The Sun is the lead single for the live album, to be released up-front August 24th.

WebLinks: www.tarja-act1.com / www.tarjaturunen.com / www.facebook.com/tarjaofficial ."

I wonder how it is she's still profiting off of Nightwish's intellectual properties. That's interesting. They must have some kind of agreement, which I find really interesting, considering the debacle surrounding her departure.

I wonder how it is she's still profiting off of Nightwish's intellectual properties. That's interesting. They must have some kind of agreement, which I find really interesting, considering the debacle surrounding her departure.

Anyone can cover anything and sell those covers as long as the rights holders are given a % of the royalties as decided by the royalties collection union that represents the country of the songwriters (examples: ASCAP/Harryfox for America, GEMA for Germany). If she has writing and performance credits (not sure about writing but she definitely has performance credits obviously), then she also gets that money.

If she didn't do Nightwish classics her show would be mehhhh boring. so she does the classics so people will show up.

If she didn't do Nightwish classics her show would be mehhhh boring. so she does the classics so people will show up.

I couldn't disagree more. She was the main reason I loved Nightwish, and haven't cared for them nearly as much since. The new singer just doesn't have an ouce of the ability or charisma she had, the new singer sounds like an average pop singer compared to Tarja. I personally would rather pay to see Tarja do Nightwish songs and her own than the current Nightwish. Not to say I don't still like Nightwish, just find them lacking alot of what I loved about them with Tarja. I can't comment on the attendance of her shows with or without Nightwish songs, but I doubt you honestly can either.

Ah, that's insightful. I just figured the band would attempt to bar her from singing their songs.

If they feel she is withholding performance royalties from them, they have the right to demand she cease and desist - on recording anyways. However usually in the live setting they usually get a free pass unless the venue has a "no covers" policy because they don't want to get sued.

She just gets more beautiful and talented

323130_491159234233364_1193780997_o1.jpg

Who is putting this out? I heard the last few solo albums bombed horribly saleswise, even in Europe.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146485

"What Lies Beneath", the sophomore solo album from formerNIGHTWISH singer Tarja Turunen, sold around 1,300 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 24 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

"What Lies Beneath" has registered the following first-week chart positions:

Finland: #14 (first week), #7 (second week)
Czech Republic: #6
Switzerland: #11
Hungary: #30
Netherlands: #45
Belgium (Flanders): #99
Belgium (Wallonia): #42
UK: #115

She just gets more beautiful and talented

323130_491159234233364_1193780997_o1.jpg

I do like the design of the DVD case. A puppet string effect is nice when done right.

And, to go on what Aeonic said: I am kind of surprised that she has not done as well in Finland. You figger that since she is the ORIGINAL voice of Nightwish, and that many of the Finns who hooked on to Nightwish might have hooked on to Tarja's solo stuff. I am just surprised in a way that she had not done well at all.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146485

"What Lies Beneath", the sophomore solo album from formerNIGHTWISH singer Tarja Turunen, sold around 1,300 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 24 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

"What Lies Beneath" has registered the following first-week chart positions:

Finland: #14 (first week), #7 (second week)
Czech Republic: #6
Switzerland: #11
Hungary: #30
Netherlands: #45
Belgium (Flanders): #99
Belgium (Wallonia): #42
UK: #115

The thing is, these chart positions mean nothing if they weren't able to make money off the record, which I heard was ridiculously expensive to make. Alot of these countries like Hungary, Czech Republic, etc have such low standards that maybe only a few thousand is enough to get in the charts. Maybe she's popular in those countries? But it doesn't really translate well to getting 200,000 units sold in one year which is the expectation the majors have (actually in many cases it's much more). The fact that there are no Germany chart entires as well is another sign that this probably bombed unfortunately, as Germany is pretty much the only market in the mainland Europe that matters. I've heard that album got alot of Universal employees fired.

Thanks for the info, Orbweaver. Very interesting. Clearly there's only a few strong markets mentioned, but for what she's doing, I think this shows a strong showing.