TARJA TURUNEN: The Solo Years

What band? She is now signed to the Universal's roster under the name "Tarja". A singer, not a band.

...which reminds me of her culminating sentences to Tuomas Holopainen back in Dec 2004 when the split started to surface: "Remember Tuomas, I don't need Nightwish for my career any more. I can call it quits with Nightwish in a day's notice anytime."

Yeah, assuming that Tuomas didn't just say that to add fuel to the fire for the reason she was kicked out. There are always 3 sides to every story. Both parties, & the truth! EVERYone tells white lies to make themselves look innocent & victimized.

I personally think the band was jealous if her popularity overshadowing the band. This was why Tony Iommi kicked Ozzy out of Sabbath! Even the guys in No Doubt stated this caused issues w/them & Gwen.

But, aside from that, I don't think the new singer of NW can hold a candle to Tarja's voice & range!

But, aside from that, I don't think the new singer of NW can hold a canlde to Tarja's voice & range!

I think Anette Olzen is a better singer for the style. Tarja's operatics were a nice novelty in 1998, but in 2008 I think a more rock-oriented singer like Olzen works better. And I think what Tarja's doing now is better for her than Nightwish.

The best splits are the ones where you get double the good music from and both artists do better because of it. I think that was the case with the Matos/Angra split, and now we have TRIPLE our pleasure since Shaman has a new album coming out that's supposed to be more like the first album and Matos just put out a good solo album.

But, aside from that, I don't think the new singer of NW can hold a canlde to Tarja's voice & range!

I think Anette Olzen is a better singer for the style. Tarja's operatics were a nice novelty in 1998, but in 2008 I think a more rock-oriented singer like Olzen works better. And I think what Tarja's doing now is better for her than Nightwish.

The best splits are the ones where you get double the good music from and both artists do better because of it. I think that was the case with the Matos/Angra split, and now we have TRIPLE our pleasure since Shaman has a new album coming out that's supposed to be more like the first album and Matos just put out a good solo album.

Well, to each their own. I listened to the 1st single from NW's new CD. & while she does have a good voice, & the music was good. If it were some other new band I'd just discovered, I'd love it. But, I was listening to NW for years before this, & I gotta say. I prefer NW w/Tarja. I'll buy the new Tarja CD before I buy the new NW one. I don't think the calendar has anything to do w/it.

The new Nightwish singer does nothing for me, i'm not a "huge" fan of their type of music per say but i thought Tarjas voice went good with that music they were doing. I've heard stuff on the internut of their new stuff with the new girl and it just sounds generic to me. I thought what was cool about them before was the chicks voice, now it sounds like they are going for a more amercican sound.

Can someone answer two questions for me: Is Tarja getting a US release date, or do we have to import it since after burning Roadrunner with the Nightwish tour (read the book) will any US label take that chance?

And, 2) If she does get a US deal, will she tour? After all, unless she has Clive Davis pumping millions, I doubt VERY seriously she will be playing anywhere outside the same places she claimed that were "below standard", aka BB Kings/Highline, Masquerade, Jaxx, etc.

But, on second thought, if she DID play these places, people would be justified in saying, "If they were good enough for you now, why were they not good enough for you when you were with Nightwish?"

Just food for thought.

While I agree that, for the direction Nightwish went with Once, it didn't work with Tarja's strengths, I don't think Anette was the right vocalist. I find her somewhat weak. The best I can say about her voice is that it is acceptable. The music Tuomas is writing is pretty good, but it keeps feeling like he's trying hard to hide her shortcomings, particularly since Marco probably gets more reps at vocalist than he has had in the past.

I wonder if some of it was by design, that by getting a lesser vocalist, that he won't get the "diva" attitude that he eventually got from Tarja. Or maybe he does think she's good enough. Personally, I was somewhat underwhelmed by her.

Getting back to the subject, I'm going to be very interested to see how Tarja does without Tuomas. Both worked quite well with each other.

Jason

Can someone answer two questions for me: Is Tarja getting a US release date, or do we have to import it since after burning Roadrunner with the Nightwish tour (read the book) will any US label take that chance?

You can preorder it from The End Records. It looks like they have an exclusive distribution deal right now.

And, 2) If she does get a US deal, will she tour? After all, unless she has Clive Davis pumping millions, I doubt VERY seriously she will be playing anywhere outside the same places she claimed that were "below standard", aka BB Kings/Highline, Masquerade, Jaxx, etc.

It will be interesting to see if she does eventually tour the US. In the near term, I doubt it.

But, it looks like she does have some names behind her. For her mini-tour, she has Doug Wimbish and Mike Terrana playing in her band.

But, on second thought, if she DID play these places, people would be justified in saying, "If they were good enough for you now, why were they not good enough for you when you were with Nightwish?"

Just food for thought.

Probably because those are the only places that will play that kind of music.

Hey, there are a lot of people who think Jaxx is substandard. My wife refuses to go there anymore because of all the smoking and few places to sit. Others know that Jaxx is kinda a hole, but Jay is willing to shell out the bucks to bring the bands in, so people show up.

Jason

From her website:
Nov 12. 2007
Starting this November 14th 2007 in homeland Finland, more than 70 countries will release Tarja’s new album “My Winter Storm” through Universal Music or associated labels.
USA 26.2.2008 US standard version and US deluxe edition including US only bonus content.
USA 27.11.2007 International version available at theendrecords.com, to order your copy click here: http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.75052/.f

Also available as digital download at iTunes and other digital outlets.

She is most likely headed to please more mainstream market since she is signed to Universal Music on an exclusive worldwide basis. Universal really seem to be investing s*itloads of money on her and through Universal's worldwide marketing machine her CD "My Winter Storm" has been released in over 70 countries already and counting.

If she will tour in the USA next year, I doubt she'll do it on the usual metal band trails. Right now she is booked at medium capacity (1500 - 3000) concert halls in Europe for the minitour they call "Warm-Up Concerts 2007". A bigger world tour will start sometime next year but no dates available yet.

Btw. I heard just today that an interview with her and her videoclips were aired on Canadian TV on Friday, so some marketing groundworks seem to be up and going on in North America... !
Just food for thought.
Performing at "slimy metal joints without the least decent facilities" really doesn't fit to her new stylish Universal-boosted image of The Classy Lady. But maybe the better venues like Nokia Theater in NY will be good enough for her...

(I think she didn't appreciate much being told to pee between trash cans in a back alley of some venue during the 2004 tour, at least she remembered to mention the lack of facilities in interviews a few times after the particular leg :p )

I am also among those who preferred Tarja as the NW vocalist, but life goes on. I think Anette will do a fine job with NW, based on the recent NW show I saw.

Performing at "slimy metal joints without the least decent facilities" really doesn't fit to her new stylish Universal-boosted image of The Classy Lady. But maybe the better venues like Nokia Theater in NY will be good enough for her...

I think the venues of the right size that offer private facilities for women are few and far between. Is Universal going to grab larger places that will be half full because she refuses to play anywhere else in a major market like Boston? Personally, I won't be surprised if she's playing some of the same venues she was bitching about before. The difference this time is she'll be getting a larger amount of the money since she doesn't have to split it with 5 equal band members. Otherwise don't be surprised when she only books 5 cities on her US part of the world tour.

+1

And for me, that's coming from someone who was rather hostile towards Anette's vocals, to start.
While I will always personally prefer Tarja as the NW vocalist, I must admit that the band chose an adequate replacement for her in Anette.:headbang:
Having said that, it's still like comparing AO's 8 to TT's 11!:kickass: