TARJA TURUNEN: The Solo Years

7thSaviour

Power Metal Maniac
Jul 8, 2005
Dixieland USA
With all the recent discussion of Tarja's former band Nightwish, I felt it would be a good idea to discuss all things Tarja, including her solo career as she begins life without NW. Your favorite TT albums and songs?

I liked Nightwish better, but I have to admit what she's doing now is better suited to her voice than what she was doing with Nightwish. I don't really think she had a comfort zone with Nightwish until Once vocal-wise. Back when I first picked up albums like Oceanborn and Wishmaster, I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but no when I listen and compare to what Nightwish and Tarja are doing now I realize how one dimensionally they had her singing.

She's best when she does like Floor Jansen, using every facet of her voice. When she's in full operatic mode and never strays from it like on the early Nightwish albums it gets tiresome very quickly.

Seen this yet? Interestingly this performance occurred the same day as the Nightwish show in Atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen this yet? Interestingly this performance occurred the same day as the Nightwish show in Atlanta.

Hmmm, it sounded pretty good, but did you notice the band behind her?

Oh, that's right, you couldn't see 'em. For most of the video, they're not being shown at all, very little light on them. It's all focused on Tarja.

The defense rests.

Hmmm, it sounded pretty good, but did you notice the band behind her?

Oh, that's right, you couldn't see 'em. For most of the video, they're not being shown at all, very little light on them. It's all focused on Tarja.

The defense rests.

Haha :)
Well I assumed that since she's a solo act, there wouldn't be much focus on the band. Like a pop singer or something.

What band? She is now signed to the Universal's roster under the name "Tarja". A singer, not a band.

...which reminds me of her culminating sentences to Tuomas Holopainen back in Dec 2004 when the split started to surface: "Remember Tuomas, I don't need Nightwish for my career any more. I can call it quits with Nightwish in a day's notice anytime."

Well I assumed that since she's a solo act, there wouldn't be much focus on the band. Like a pop singer or something.

good call.

The emphasis is on Tarja and her voice. It'll be her name and face on the album cover and her band will probably only mentioned in the liner notes.

That's nothing new for a solo artist.

Not all pop singers. I was a huge fan of Jewel growing up and she always made it a point to highlight her band once she was big enough to have one. Pink's I'm Not Dead live DVD was just aired on one of our HD channels and the band and dancers are just as much a part of the show as she is with guitar & piano solos. Hell, I hate the music but Justin Timberlake's big HBO live show was basically making it all about the band supporting him.

If you're gonna be a solo singer, then sing on stage alone with a track playing or something. If you're gonna be a "solo" singer but have a band backing you, give them credit, they're out there playing the music that YOU are singing to..highlight them and show some damn respect.

Tarja is an awesome singer and everything, but if her head gets any bigger you won't have to worry about the lack of lights covering up the band.

*disclaimer*

not a huge fan of Tarja. and no...Im not sorry about it. :Smug::lol:

I like how certain people are making these assumptions that because the band wasn't highlighted, that it CLEARLY was Tarja's idea. Were any of you there? Did you talk to the technicians or the band and find out about this firsthand? No? I didn't think so.

That's also assuming that's even her band. It's just as likely to be studio musicians from whatever show that was.