Tarot - "Gravity Of Light"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
I was aware a new Tarot album was scheduled for 2010 by the name of "Gravity Of Light". I was surprised today as the album leaked into the net, and even if I was already convinced to buy it (I have all their albums so far) we all know that a free check it's always good ;)

I'm just on the third song and the album is absolutely a safe purchase. For fans of the band rest assured Marco & Co haven't change their formula, for thise not very familiar with the band or just their later works, this new one will also work fine.

IMO this time the keyboards are more prominent, clean and progressive which of course add lots of value for me to the new album. :headbang:

im not too familiar with tarot beyond a few songs so i cant say for sure, but if you just search "tarot gravity of light" on youtube im pretty sure they all come up.

its pretty cool. is their older stuff like this? because if so i need some recommendations.

its pretty cool. is their older stuff like this? because if so i need some recommendations.

Yes and no. Tarot debuted in 1987 with "The Spell Of Iron" at the time they had another guitar besides Zachary Hietala (Marco's brother) and they didn't had official keyboards (Janee Tolsa entered in 1993 for "To Live Forever").

Musically they sound was typical of the time but neither NWOBHM nor LA glam scene, wasn't either some kind of shreeding/American power nor the speed/power or early Helloween or Blind Guardian. I think they were always kind of a powered heavy rock band.
To me their most representive song of that period comes in the debut: Love's Not Made For My Kind (one of my all-time favorites), but also 'Lady Deceiver' and 'Follow Me Into Madness' (from 1988 2nd album "Follow Me Into Madness"). The third album ("To Live Forever 1993) was kind of a turning point, it's also their longest and included a cover of "Children of The Grave' and frankly ther less memorable for me.
Then their sound became darker IMO in the following albums: "Stigmata" (1995) and "For The Glory Of Nothing"(1998). A neat thing is the fact that the last tune of "Stigmata" finishes with thw same chorus that started the opener of FTGON, so actually you can joint boths songs together and end with a nice piece. :D
The band entered a hiatus as they didn't record anything (during which Marco played in Sinergy and Nightwish) until 2003 with they came back with a monster heavy album "Suffer Our Pleasures", more powerful and darker than the predecessors specially in the vocal department (recommended 'I Rule', 'Pyre Of The Gods', 'Undead Son', 'Convulsions', 'Painless'), to be followed by "Crows Fly Back" (2006) and the new one this year.

Since I started with SOP and then came for the back catalogue, my perception of the band maybe skewed as for someone who started with the debut or will start with ther new one. I like all their music but I don't feel them as an album band, more for scattered tunes. Nevertheless I can enjoy a whole album without get bored or skip song.

P.S. I think the band talent can also be measured by the quality and type of covers they had recorded over the years: 'Children Of The Grave'(1993 TLF album), 'Turn Me On' (bonus track of "Stigmata" remaster), 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' and 'Locomotive Breath'("For The Glory Of Nothing" Remaster), 'Veteran Of The Psychich Wars' (bonus track on "Crows Fly Back digi).