Tech/App/Stuff Recommendation thread

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
Yes another rec thread.

https://github.com/MarshallOfSound/Google-Play-Music-Desktop-Player-UNOFFICIAL-/releases

I love this stand alone player for Google Music. I rip all my CDs and upload them to Google. I still use an SD card in my phone for when streaming isn't an option, but otherwise I use GPM to keep track of listens and for a backup etc. I like this stand alone player over having another browser tab open etc. Plus now it has a lyrics pull, just in case you needed to know how exactly the song is worshipping Satan.

What do people use to track their physical collection? I'd like to have the ability to add notes to each album and sort.

I use Spotify for on the go streaming when I dont have a DAP handy. No uploading of my stuff required, and they have almost anything I would want to listen to anyways. Streaming in 320kbps kills data, so I try to keep streaming down to a minimum if possible (or toggle quality settings if im not listening on decent headphones/speakers).

As for listening on a PC, I always use foobar2000 with the WASAPI plugin for bitperfect playback. I rip all cds in lossless upon purchase with dBpoweramp, etc.

I really should start a RYM of my collection, but I havent since it will take a long time to get everything added and im lazy about it.

I really should start a RYM of my collection, but I havent since it will take a long time to get everything added and im lazy about it.

Yeah I've been waffling on doing this or a google docs spreadsheet. But to track what I own on vinyl, own digitally, love but need to buy, and a shitlist that I've listened to but didn't like.
I feel like google would be easier/better for personal use, but rym has other benefits...

Reactions: Dak

You could always set a small goal like 10-20 albums added a week or something. It'll take a while if you have a lot but it's worth it. That type of shit is fun to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
What do people use to track their physical collection? I'd like to have the ability to add notes to each album and sort.
I've always used a homemade website for it (se my signature) which is very basic but I've started adding my collection to Discogs and there you can add notes (alot more stuff like media condtion, sleeve condition etc.) for each item in your collection if you want to. Generally I've got the impression that discogs is more of tracking your collection for yourself with very in depth info about everything and RYM is more about using it for socializing and reviewing. I've never really used RYM though so I may be wrong here though?