technical question: mesa triple rect / fx send

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
is it safe to record a mesa triple rect with no cab hooked up to it, through fx send?

spidey sense tells me no... so what should i do if i want to cab impulse later, or cab simulate...

just hook it up to a cab anyways, and record from the fx send?

i dont have a hotplate, and i dont have time to get one, recording starts in about 7 hours...

if you're going to use the FX send, then pull the power tubes. but, this will cause the preamp tubes to see a higher voltage.

otherwise, the amp needs a proper load.

so what if i hook up the cab and just record the fx send, and let the amp be as loud as it wants...

does the sound change any?

what type of cables should i use, TRS? or is it all instrument 1/4

just use a guitar cable from the amp's FX out to a line in somewhere or a DI box.

not sure what you're asking about the tone change unless "Does having the cab connected affect the FX out tone?" I don't think it'll affect the FX out tone. But you're not getting the power section included like with using a Hot Plate's line out.

joeymusicguy said:
so what if i hook up the cab and just record the fx send, and let the amp be as loud as it wants...

does the sound change any?

what type of cables should i use, TRS? or is it all instrument 1/4

You mean will the sound from the fx send change if you have a cab plugged in, compared to no cab?

thanks for all the help guys! tracking is going great. although we're not doing impulse response, we're using waves GTR 1 to simulate the cabs. we're using actual amps and tracking from the fx send to a direct box (we hooked up a cab so we wouldnt blow up the amp). sounds awesome. the cab simulation really helps capture the true sound of the mesa, rather than trying to get a good mic position only to listen to it a week later and puke.