Technical side of practicing. (to Chris as well!)

mikepl1

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Hello everyone (especially Chris!),

I think after few years of playing, I've probably gained the most helpful skill ever when it comes to guitar playing: the ability to organize myself strictly.

Recently I've been more and more into technical side of playing (I never forgot about the other side, but I believe it's nice to develop Your 'style' and song interpretation once You already have Your technique), and I find that I need a lot of time to learn parts. It's not that I'm impatient, I only have holidays (during the school year I can't practice hard everyday) to learn all the songs that I listened to and liked during the whole past year (believe me, there have been many).

I would like You to review my training formula and correct me if it's going to increase my efficiency.

I will explain in theory, then bring examples.

What I like to do when having a longer part (say, more than 10 measures) is to seek parts which can easily be connected (f.ex. that are 'joined' by a longer note) and practice them seperately. I would start at a tempo that's really comfortable for me, until I get to remember the part well (it usually takes a day anyway so the first day I usually sight-read when practicing), say about 60 bpm when playing 16th notes. I would gradually speed up the metronome (by 8 bpm) and practice until I can do it 3 times really good ('really good' means if I played like this on a concert and have it recorded I could show it to guitarists and say 'That's as good as I play' - this basically means NO mistakes).

Here's a little solo I've been practicing for the past month (only the first part, before repetition mark):
http://effect.ovh.org/Trivium%20-%20The%20Crusade%20-%20Arpeggio%20Solo.gp5

Since the first part only has ~8 measures I thought I wouldn't further subdivide it, so that I wouldn't have to waste time later for connecting the parts.

I'm practicing this since about half of June. Not everyday, sometimes I had like 4 day breaks (in the beginning), but I practiced. Now I practice it every other day for 2 hours in a row. Each training session I end up playing 8 bpm faster, technically great. At the moment I'm mastering 132 bpm tempo.

Of course I warm up for about 30 - 45 mins before every session (Rock Discipline).

So, the first question is: Does it has to be that slow? Can I boost my practicing somehow? I'm also going to learn the 2nd part (in the tab) of the solo, any suggestions for that?

Here's a solo I would like to learn:
http://effect.ovh.org/Necrophagist%20-%20The%20Stillborn%20One%20(solo).gp5

Here's how I would divide it:

Solo 1:
Part 1 - Measures: 1 - 4
Part 2 - Measures: 5 - 8
Part 3 - Measures: 9 - 12
Part 4 - Measures: 13 - 16
Part 5 - Measures: 17 - 20
Part 6 - Measures: 21 - 24
Part 7 - Measures: 25 - 28
Part 8 - Measures: 29 - 31
Part 9 - Measures: 32 - 37
Part 10 - Measures: 38 - 40

Solo 2:
Part 1 - Measures: 40 - 43
Part 2 - Measures: 44 - 47
Part 3 - Measures: 48 - 55 (?)
Part 4 - Measures: 56 - 58
Part 5 - Measures: 59 - 63
Part 6 - Measures: 64 - 65
Part 7 - Measures: 66 - 70
Part 8 - Measures: 71 - 73

I don't have a lot more time to sacrifice on technique (than, say, 2 hours everyday), so do You think it's possible to learn that and the previous solos until September? I'm waiting for tips from more experienced than me. Correct me anywhere if I'm wrong please.

Thank You for Your time and even more for answer,
Michal

I think I've been playing less than you but I will give my input (I practice 3 hours a day..that's PRACTICE, not just playing). Anyway, I'd say 30-45 minutes is taking too long to warm up. I can warm up in 15 minutes max and be totally ready to play. But it is definitely a good idea to start at the comfortable tempo and then speed it up. The only thing I can think of is take less time to warm up. Also you might want to consider taking some breaks just to be sure you're at the top potential all the time, instead of playing for 2 hours straight, because most likely, by the end you will be tired and not doing the best you can.

I think I've been playing less than you but I will give my input (I practice 3 hours a day..that's PRACTICE, not just playing). Anyway, I'd say 30-45 minutes is taking too long to warm up. I can warm up in 15 minutes max and be totally ready to play. But it is definitely a good idea to start at the comfortable tempo and then speed it up. The only thing I can think of is take less time to warm up. Also you might want to consider taking some breaks just to be sure you're at the top potential all the time, instead of playing for 2 hours straight, because most likely, by the end you will be tired and not doing the best you can.

I didn't quite catch that in 'Rock Discipline'. John showed us like 10 warm up exercises and then said that he warms up in 15-25 minutes. I don't know how he does it, but it takes me like 5-10 to do each! That doesn't sum up to 25 minutes at all...

I didn't quite catch that in 'Rock Discipline'. John showed us like 10 warm up exercises and then said that he warms up in 15-25 minutes. I don't know how he does it, but it takes me like 5-10 to do each! That doesn't sum up to 25 minutes at all...

I know what you mean, I guess once you know them back to front, you might be able to get them done through pretty quickly... Good dvd overall though... :cool:

But let's not get too much offtopic. What do You say about my way of dividing the parts? (I guess that's pretty much the most important thing)

PS. About the video: people usually don't recognize this but once You know Your things about guitar, I think it's by far the most technically showcasing instructional video created.

From now on I will report my training session results (only the 'song' part of session).

Session #1
Time: 2.5h
Tempo's mastered: 100-124 bpm
Reason for lowered tempo (I was at 132): Didn't practice this since Thursday. I never give up with having to play 3 times perfectly in particular tempo. I spent about 1.5 hour at 116 because even though I had it in my fingers, the 3 times wouldn't come in a row.

Session #2
Time: 3h
Tempo's mastered: 100-132 bpm
It seems as though I shouldn't do 2 day breaks in practicing, or I won't be getting better.

Session #3
Tempo's mastered: 108-132 bpm (almost mastered 136)
It's too hot (28 C, 83 F)

Session #4
Tempo's mastered: 108-136 bpm (almost mastered 140)
I'd prefer it a little faster, but I'm patient. I broke the high E string 3rd time these 2 weeks.

Session #5 (yesterday)
Tempo's mastered: 108-140 bpm
I'm doing some progress.

Session #6
Time: 3h
Tempo's mastered: 116-144 bpm
Was close to 148 bpm, but gave up. I started applying more breaks, it seems much more comfortable. I don't know if I'll keep doing this, it makes the session longer and doesn't give much effect.