what are you practicing?

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
Hello everyone.
I was just wondering what lick/song/solo are you practicing at the moment?
it would be cool for all of us to share what are we practicing right now.
Right now, i'm practicing the One (metallica) 3rd solo (fast one with a tapping part in the begining) and chris broderick's guitar world string skipping lick.
the One solo lick that kicks my ass is the following

E 15h17h19p17p15-------------15h17h19p17p15
A -----------------17p15h17---------------------17p15h17 etc.... otherwise the solo is pretty straight forward.

Wait, that's the E and A strings? I missed that tab...

I'm practicing some Soilwork stuff from Chainheart Machine, tightening up the screws on We Disintegrate and Engines of Hate so I can finish those covers too, and working on making my own stuff for use as EQ fodder and backing tracks. I neglected rhythm for too long, and then I nailed rhythm but forgot about lead, so I'm getting back into the shred chops (I just can't play as fast on the light strings as I can on the heavy ones, strange...).

Jeff

God... I haven't had time to practice any guitar in weeks. I used to go crazy when I couldn't play it for more than a day, but these days I go so long without it.

I think the last thing I was properly learning was Malmsteen's 'Blitzkrieg' a while ago.

Well I have been playing a lot for me lately, 3-4 times a week for last 3 weeks.

During this I have been doing random shit mainly. Throw on a boring drum track and go, or just wail away. Nothing structured....

However, I have a friend at work, we have jammed 3 times at my house and he said he would like to try "Voice of the Souls" from Death, Perseverance. He is just starting out, and thinks if we "dumb" down the acoustic, he can do it. I told him, that is some gnarly lead but I would try. So, going to try and find some tabbie's for this are away we go... Wish me luck....:headbang:

Lately, I've been practicing on my laziness.

I have a couple songs in the works but work has been kicking my ass lately.

As far as technique goes, I should really be working on my sweep picking. My sweep picking is pretty horrible because of the fact that I pick a lot faster than I fret. In 15 years of playing, it's almost like I have to re-teach myself coordination.

Voice of the Soul? Natural Minor, harmonize in thirds, fourths, and fifths, depending on where you are. Try the stuff on Flesh And The Power It Holds. That acoustic bit is pretty fun, I must say.

Jeff

SO i got down the one legatto lick in the solo. that was pretty fun. Now i'm practicing the first part of jeff's tge solo tabbed in guitar world. I will also try steve's psalm of lydia solos, as i have them tabbed in guitar world too pretty soon.
and i still suck at alternate picking, however i can do 3 string sweeeps with no problem at very high speeds. I'm working on 5 strings sweep, but slowly. Note that on 3 strings i didn't get down the diminished shapes, that is why i learn them in a more practical and fun way, through jeff's tge solo.

just stuff for my band's next show... covering:
Candlemass - Solitude
Nevermore - What Tomorrow Knows
Death - Pull the Plug
Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls (but sped up/death metalized)

and fiddling around with my own material

Pull The Plug can be a lot of fun, I've been doing some Symbolic and TSOP myself lately.

LOTS, how fast is that lick in One? Can't say I care much for Metallica, or at all for post-MOP Metallica, or KH's solos, but I am somewhat curious - seemed pretty simple to me, but one never knows.

Jeff

216 bpm and in triplets is the one lead i posted above.
i don't find it hard to play it just makes my left hand really tired, by the end of the lick, and i fuck up right after playing it 8 times, (the lick has a slight change at the 4th and 8th run).
i'm still building the stamina necessary for this solo.

If I'm not practising basic sextuplet licks or 16ths etc with a metronome, I'll be practising Children of Bodom solos, I know quite alot of them.

I just started jamming with a new drummer/bassist. So i've been writing material. Outside of normal warm-ups, scales/arps/rhythm shit...i haven't "practiced" much of anything. If i'm bored i'll play a couple bodom songs or engines of hate.

i rarley practice songs anymore really, i mainly work on building my technique threw scales and i play some songs that have a lot of techiniqe that i can build myself on, *cough Nevermore*

i play a lot of blues stuff too.

a sweep arpeggio sequence in the key of d minor (i tune to D standard) and the sweeps are on three strings with a hammeron, pulof on the high E (d) string. I'am working at shifting positions while sweeping

Just got my Hellraiser 7 two weeks ago and ever since them it's been
nothing but Nevermore.
Working thru DHIADW,EOR and TGE song by song.
Luckily I've founds tabs for most of it but I still cant' find any tabs for
"BitterSweet Feast", Never Purify" , "Create the Infinite", or "Seed Awakening".
anyone seen these out there anywhere?

master of puppets fast solo (hammett's). I'm doing some old tallica shit now. I'm gonna attempt the the dyer's eve solo (sweeping it, not alternate picking it, the way hammet does it). I have plans to learn quite a few metallica solos.
As for nevermore i'm gonna learn things from the 6 strings era, since i only have 6 strings on my guitar:D :p :lol: I will learn next in line, what tomorrow knows (if i find a damn tab) and the death of passion, I am gonna try psalm of lydia from tge since it is on6 strings. I'm gonna try steve's solos first. the intro solo and jeff's solos on that song, are just....not for me. In one solo jeff does like 11 notes per beat, then in the same measure 13 per beat and 7 per beat.
first steve's solo is very good and sweet.
I have so many things i wanna practice and i'm waiting to take lessons from Steve some time when he starts his internet lesson thing.
METAL

for the rhythm: Testament - Into the pit, Forbidden - Hypnotized by the rhythm
Nevermore - Narcosynthesis, Inside four walls and I voyager

for the leads: some Loomis, Yngwie, Smyth (Omega cd) etc and some Cooley too...:Smokedev: