tell me about TODAY IS THE DAY

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
i have several of their albums and i like them a good deal.

what i am deficient in is their context.

how long have they been around? are they considered good or bad by which groups of people and subcultures? are they still around? what kind of venues to they play/how many people do they draw/etc.? are they famous/popular among kids now? did they have any presence on the indie scene, metal scene, what?

etc.

I see that they are appreciated by both the hardcore and the metal scene and have toured with bands of both genres. kinda like Isis in that respect.

people seem to laud Steve Austin's (that's his name, right?) recordings, but I think they are thin and full of treble. second only to The Abyss Studio in terms of simultaneous acclaim and total suckiness.

my roomate like's them a lot.

I've haven't heard that much, but what I remember was pretty noisy and generally amusing.

my roomate, and a lot of other people, seem to feel that the earlier stuff has cool production but it has gotten crappier in recent years

An ex-Today is the Day drummer plays in Mastodon now.

They are from Texas.

Steven Austin is crazy!

Yes they are still around, Kiss the Pig came out a few months ago.

I like Sadness Will Prevail quite a bit, and their alleged masterpiece In the Eyes of God not as much. SWP is a real headtrip and I like that, one of the most disturbing albums in my collection.

Today is the Day is Steve Austin. All the other members are pretty much hired guns. Former members seem to be all over the place in the metal/hardcore scene right now, most notably the drummer and guitarist/vocalist of Mastodon are ex-member. I like Steve Austin's productions much like I enjoy Anderson because it is raw and in your face and fits the music perfectly. I loved the job he did on Converge's Jane Doe. They seem to be well accepted and respected by both hardcore and metal scene although not enjoyed by a majority of either side. Steve Austin is one of the most peculiar individual I ever met, the man LIVES to provoke. He will do anything to incite a reaction out of people, and wearing a Klan hat is not out of question, even though he doesn't have any affinity toward the movement. He is, without a doubt one of the most intense frontman I have seen on stage. TITD is one of my favorite bands although I like their slower albums more than the faster ones (Temple of the Morning Star and Sadness will Prevail more that Kiss the Pig or In the Eyes of God)

agreed.

have you guys heard the new Converge?

it's pretty cool. Like a combo of all of the styles they've ever dabbled with.

Also wasn't an ex-drummer from EHG in Down as well?

Mindspell covered most of it. TITD is still around, and is amazing. They have an intensity and... vigor... that is missing from too many bands. It sounds like Steve Austin keeps making music because if he didnt, something aweful would happen... like exsorcism on cd. In the eyes of god is prolly my fave... though they are all amazing in my opinion.

Additional information:

They have a very weird website.

Many music journalists and the like have made a repeated connection with King Crimson, as to the style of playing of Austin and the some-times autistic progression of his songs. Whereas I can almost see KC as one of the various influences of Austin (check website), I really have never spotted any sort of musical connection between Today is the Day and King Crimson, myself. Which is a shame because when I read that I was pretty interested in listening his music, and when I did and realized there wasn't any overal connection I was sort of meh. Still, Zeni Geva do the King Crimson if they were a hardcore band thing pretty well. However I've only heard Kiss the Pig and Temple. Austin is indeed kind of hmm, extreme, doing his mic swallowing act live and whatnot. Not fond of his production style, personally.

And the two members of Mastodon, guitarist and drummer, played bass and drums on TITD. Before that they played in amazingly technical death metal band Lethargy. A two-disk anthology is out and I think anyone interested in technical death metal should get it.