Tell me about your CPUS! & Can they withhold a complete session?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Riteo guys, im now in the market for a new chip as this 3000+ single core AMD 64 aint cutting it.

Im wondering whether a 4800+ dual core would be able to take whatever i chuck at it concerning recording & mixing a session in one fell swoop plugin wise without having to keep mixing down etc.

What are you chaps running these days CPU wise & how do you get on with it?

currently I'm working with a intel dualcore 820 (2,8GHz, PC), it's enough for basically anything but weird assholes like me.....i throw the most demanding plugins at anything and have some problems when i'm doing stuff with alot of tracks (32+, depending on the plugins etc).

at the moment i'm switching to a dual 2Ghz PowerPc G5, i hope that will cure my problems.

kev said:
hehe, well, not interested in MAC currently. I could see myself eventually trying one out no doubt, but not for a while yet. Thanks for the input so far.

Macpro is basically an Intel Xeon-server with one big drawback: slow buffered memory (and high price). The new Intel Core2 cpu runs pretty fast, and can easily be overclocked. Most of'em run above 3 Ghz without any voltagechanges or whatever. The best deal is a Core2 duo E6600 with 4 meg cache, stock on 2.4G.

Let him sit with 2 gig of RAM in a good Asus mobo, feed him some raptors (for audio and sampling) and you're off. Don't forget that in November some new DirectX10 videocards hit the market, not that you need to buy a fast one, but just a basic directX10 card makes you Vista-proof.

If you buy AMD at this time you're stuck with mobo's that aren't good for audio, the old AGP-ones outperform the PCIe ones, and are far more compatible with Powercores, UAD-1s, RME's and stuff...

Go to nuendo.com and read some posts in the 'computer & hardware' related forum, lots of info there.

have fun! :)

I can mix a 40 track song, with about 20 various Waves plug-ins, along with some other mis-matched ones, 6 or so instances of Battery, two instances of Absynth 3, plus all the individual track EQs engaged. I can even drop some heavy-CPU plugs on the master, like Ozone 3 or something. All this with no mixdowns or track bouncing.

That's on a Dell laptop, just a little over a year old. P4 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, slow-ass 5400rpm harddrive. DAW software is Samplitude.

Now, recording latency, that gets me everytime. If I wanted to listen to my guitar through a delay plug-in, I would hit a note and 10 seconds later I would hear it through my cans. Lol! But mixing, no problem.

Samples/Buffer is the key. On my dual 2.5 ghz G5 I run at 256 most of the time unless I'm mixing. Once it gets to the mix phase, 1024 gets me a lot of headroom for plugin fury. I like to bounce sections of instruments and commit to things, more out of habit, and to keep me from doing endless tweaks.

DP is great software, but it's running a lot better on the Intel Macs lately than the PowerPC Macs. After this album is done, I will be looking into the Mac roadmap more seriously, possibly holding out for an 8-core Mac Pro (which should come out some time in 2007.)

I´m running my system with a

amd athlon 64+ 2800 754
Asus mainbord
1GB ddr 400 ram
250gb maxtor
geforce fx 5200
Universal Audio Studiopak
cubase sx 3

I´m working with a mackie onyx 1640 via firewire

I have no problems with this setup to record 14-16 drumtracks

after that 6 guitars one bass

4 vox and to mix it to hell. But the DSP card do a great job;)

XGabrielX said:
I´m running my system with a

amd athlon 64+ 2800 754
Asus mainbord
1GB ddr 400 ram
250gb maxtor
geforce fx 5200
Universal Audio Studiopak
cubase sx 3

I´m working with a mackie onyx 1640 via firewire

I have no problems with this setup to record 14-16 drumtracks

after that 6 guitars one bass

4 vox and to mix it to hell. But the DSP card do a great job;)

That's that PCI DSP card, right? The UA one? I looked into that awhile ago, but I'm stuck with a laptop now so...

It looked pretty cool, how do you like it?

2ghz G5, 1 gig RAM for now.

20 tracks and something like 40 active PIs on one particular track, and no slowdown or hiccups...

usually with iChat running too, although of course, that's not a resource whore by any stretch

Sempron 3400+ (overclocked from 2Ghz to 2.5Ghz)
2Gb RAM

On a 20 track song (about what I normally work with), it runs Sonar with around 30-40 plug-ins fine (or one instance of Pristine Space :p). I could probably get a fair bit more out of it if I didn't have so much crap running in the background.

Steve

shuttle pc
amd athlon 3400+
1 gig of ram
2 hitachi deskstars in raid
some shitty ati vid card (better than the onboard)

runs around 20+ tracks with various plugins (depending of course) and with BFD tricked out on it
cubase se 3
delta 66

good enough for my needs.

imac g5 1.9 with 2.5 gigs of ram here. last mix session was around 42 tracks(out of those about eight were stereo aux tracks) and about fifty plugins running( waves ssl, m.h. channelstrip, drumagog, four different reverbs, etc.) and the cpu was about 75% pinned. pretty pleased overall but looking into a mac pro next year for sure.