Tell me more about buying wholesale...

I'm pretty much with Erik on this one, but this:
Demilich said:
Time for RC to expand into web-distro territory? Maybe not... but it'd be fun to get easy access to all these European things from a reliable source on the continent.
is something I've always thought about for in the future, like if RC was around for more than a few years. Hang on a second, wasn't our two year anniversary just last week!?!? Also someday when I have more time and money (like after I buy a house and get that all settled) I would like to open up a label/distro with RC. Or by myself, whatever.

If you want to do a test run, sign me up for the new Hammers (I can wait for Slough Feg, still have two of theirs I haven't given much time), but unless this is set up as a legitimate distro, I think running into the problems that Erik illustrated would be a given.

It depends on who you buy from as far as the wholesale issue. Some places (like Century Media for example) you have to fill out a 1099 form for taxes and purchase $100 or more per order. Others will have a minimum dollar amount only. The shipping issue as mentioned above is a kicker too if you guys decide to do this. Sure you can do it but you have to:
- get the shipment
- break it down
- repackage the individual copies
- hand write or type in all the addresses / print
- include a minimum of $1.06 (as much as $1.98) (first class) for postage plus the package material, which if you buy it bulk can be as small as an extra .15-.30 (one CD)
- send them out.

By the time you get done with the whole process you'd probably find the extra couple bucks not really worth it.

One Inch Man said:
I'm pretty much with Erik on this one, but this:
is something I've always thought about for in the future, like if RC was around for more than a few years. Hang on a second, wasn't our two year anniversary just last week!?!? Also someday when I have more time and money (like after I buy a house and get that all settled) I would like to open up a label/distro with RC. Or by myself, whatever.

If you want to do a test run, sign me up for the new Hammers (I can wait for Slough Feg, still have two of theirs I haven't given much time), but unless this is set up as a legitimate distro, I think running into the problems that Erik illustrated would be a given.

Prepare to spend lots of $$$$ :) That's the reason I am getting out of the label/store stuff. Takes a buttload of money to do it right and lots (lots) of time. There's only so far that "I do this because I love it" will go. The Metal scene is so saturated with releases and there's so many vendors that you really have to have a decent amount of $$ to make it all work with some effeciency.

JayKeeley said:
Well, if I judged everything on one listen, or 'skimmed' through an album to sample it, I wouldn't buy anything either. :p

You know we talked about this in person before, but I used to spend thousands of dollars and bought pretty much every damn LP that ever came out in the hey-days, 70% of which were crap ... so yes, the internet is a blessing :loco:

Prepare to spend lots of $$$$ :) That's the reason I am getting out of the label/store stuff. Takes a buttload of money to do it right and lots (lots) of time. There's only so far that "I do this because I love it" will go. The Metal scene is so saturated with releases and there's so many vendors that you really have to have a decent amount of $$ to make it all work with some effeciency.

Right on ... and that is the difference of doing something as a business as compared to a hobby.
This is why I helped Code build the Webstore they had, to help spread the word of their bands and make it easier for people to buy their stuff ... especially NB :Spin:

Now, if your sole motivation is to get your hands on releases "earlier" let me get in touch with Cruz and build a store for them similar to Code ... so this way you can order anything as soon as it's released.

EDIT: Actually I see they have a webstore ... why can't you just order stuff from there. i am sure they post it as soon as it's released?!?!?!?

You see, if you think this through. It was wholly foolish of Marksveld and I to start a distro a little while back. I don't have the money to support such a venture although I tried. But hey, it was fun and I learned some things along the way.

Right. We accomplished what we wanted, we definitely learned a thing or two about business and we got some cool items along the way. The Ancient Wind distro isn't going to be around that much longer. The label itself will be open for about three more releases (all of which are already planned) and then we will fold.

I never wanting to distro other peoples stuff but I guess its started now
its very hard for bands and wee labels on the smaller level to sell to distros / other labels for actual money
more and more its being done with trades, cds become currency and its hard to avoid
unless youre selling comercially proven stuff
(theres not much in the vermitronic mail order because we don't want to stock crap and generic pish)

ps, hey Lurch! nice avatar