Template question

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Do you guys usually set up a mixing template with all the plugins already set to an old mix and tweak from there or setup all the plugins on the channels but there basically off or at original postion of plugins and then start mixing/tweaking?

Also do you usually have 2 templates one for recording then one for mixing?

Im new with the template thing but i want to start using them to speed up my work. :headbang:

The only use I can see for templates personally is for having all your inputs and outputs configured, some auxes set-up w/some basic FX and grouping of instruments (drums, guitars, vocals).

That's pretty much it. Basic, utility kind of stuff for me. Every mix and band can be so radically different that a template full of plugs would be nothing but limiting for me.

I have 2 templates I use all the time....

1. Tracking template: all the inputs/outputs setup so all I have to do is patch the pres (I use BASICALLY the same setup all the time). That way when I'm tracking, there's no time spent on making tracks/labeling tracks (which by the way also is the names written to the audio files in PT...example...audio 1_01_02 is now KICK IN 1_01_02), setting inputs, or any of that stuff.

2. Mixing template: I has my master fader with all my usual plugs, 8-10 FX I always use, loaded and bussed with the busses labeled, so instead of Buss 1-2 it says "room verb". It also has alot of tracks in the session already, but no plugs.....

I only use a template for demoing stuff or tracking my one-man project's songs. The template has EZD channels set correctly, a MIDI track that routes to EZD and Battery, and two guitar tracks with Revalver MKII. That's just to get things started, when the song is tracked I usually start mixing from scratch.