Tempo and Time Signature help for beginning of WICKED...

TubeAmped

New Metal Member
Nov 24, 2002
Norfolk, VA
www.members.cox.net
Hey guys,

I am hoping that there are some music theory buffs in our little community.... Anyway, I have started tabbing out wicked for guitar and have hit a bit of a road block. I am relatively knew, and still trying to learn, how to determine time signature/tempos (I think the two kinda go hand in hand). Anyway, the very beginning of WICKED has thrown me for a loop. I have the notes tabbed out, but can't seem to get the stuff to line up correctly. I think that the time sig is 4/4 once the main drum groove gets going, but I am stuck on the 5 or so seconds prior to that point. I was hoping that somebody here could shed some light on what is going on there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am kinda holding off going any further with that tab until I get this figured out. So, for now I will just remain stuck on the first few seconds of that song - LOL. Later and thanks again in advance - MIKE

P.S. For any of you that would like to check out the Power Tab that I did for the intro to INFERNO (or some Dream Theater stuff that I tabbed) here is the link to my web site www.members.cox.net/tube-amped Enjoy - and let me know what you think!

Hmmmm - guess I don't have that version! Guess that would be 13/4? What exactly do those liner notes say about WICKED? Someone posted about that in the teof yahoo mailing list also. Thanks!!! Later - MIKE

I am pretty sure I got it. The intro goes bar of 5/4 followed by a bar of 4/4 - then the main drum groove kicks in with the 13/4. Took me awhile to see it because it is weird to see a quarter note rest followed by a 16th note rest. But it is sounding great - tempo is quarter note=106 and I think that the key is Eb Major (this could be wrong - I'm no expert here either ;-) Later - MIKE

I think it'd be more accurate to say the drums are playing a 4/4 4/4 5/4 groove over Romeos 13/8 pattern (you really never see anything notated 13/4). Something similar is also in Eyes of Medusa over the verse where Romeos guitar part is in 5/8 and Rullo is in 4. The key is G minor/Bb major, but with a D phrygian tonality.

Hey thanks for the info. I know the guitar is in 13/4 - once the main drum groove kicks in, but it is easier to tab it as 4/4 and 5/4's. I don't know squat about deciphering key sigs yet - and have very little of modes, but am ready to learn. I have a friend that is a music education major - and has already offered his services ;-) Thanks again - LATER - MIKE