Tennesee Metal

DFD260

Feb 3, 2008
Dayton, TN
There's alot of great bands from Tennesee especially the Nashville area. I was talking to a fan at Progpower IX and he was asking if there was anywhere to go for metal. The only place I know in TN is Nashville. There are some clubs there that book metal bands. The Muse and Exit Inn. The Valarium in Knoxville has metal bands at times. Anyone knowing of any good metal bands in TN or Atlanta please let me know. Help support these bands. Heres a list of some I enjoy. Most are metal but some are hard rock and blues/rock.

Hazmat (Chattanooga)
Piranah (Nashville)
Noisecult (Nashville)
Deja Blue (Decatur)
Voodoo Prophet (Nashville)
Mindsplitter (Nashville)
Southern Mental Illness (Chattanooga/N. GA)
Deadchain (Nashville)
Mighty Sideshow (Chattanooga)
The Unsatisfied (Chattanooga)
Oblivion Myth (Nashville)
Armazilla (Atlanta)
Halcyon Way (Atlanta)
Chokeslam (Chattanooga)
Hate Me Down (Chattanooga)
Shade Of Haze (Atlanta)
Disciple (Knoxville)
10 Years (Knoxville)
Egypt Central (Memphis)

You are forgetting Oblivion Myth! But I am biased because it's my band lol. ;) We are a only power/thrash metal band from middle TN, and I think one of the only bands in that style right now in this area. We're getting ready to start work on our 2nd album in the winter and are currently playing out often in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area, but we've ventured outside the local area a few times so far. We've played with Noise Cult and Deadchain before, and one of my guitarists knows one of the guys in Noise Cult pretty well.

I will have to check out Oblivion Myth. I've got two Chokeslam cds but I thought they broke up. Anyway thanks for helping this thread.

There's alot of great bands from Tennesee especially the Nashville area. I was talking to a fan at Progpower IX and he was asking if there was anywhere to go for metal. The only place I know in TN is Nashville. There are some clubs there that book metal bands. The Muse and Exit Inn. The Valarium in Knoxville has metal bands at times. Anyone knowing of any good metal bands in TN or Atlanta please let me know. Help support these bands. Heres a list of some I enjoy.

Hazmat (Chattanooga)
Piranah (Nashville)
Noisecult (Nashville)
Voodoo Prophet (Nashville)
Mindsplitter (Nashville)
Southern Mental Illness (Chattanooga/N. GA)
Deadchain (Nashville)
Mighty Sideshow (Chattanooga)

Don't forget Dead Air Radio, who self-released possibly the best prog metal album last year, Signal to Noise Ratio. I believe that they are also from Nashville.

I believe that was initiated by a "There should be a ProgPower Texas" thread.

Yep, it sure was. I linked to it in my previous post so people could read it if they wanted to know what the heck I was talking about and why I commented. It was fun to look back at it and read through the old posts! I think I spent an hour just reading through it again before I even finished the above comment. :lol:

What started as a simple observation turned into something special. Just sayin' maybe it could happen again ;)

There are couple of bands that I'll mention that are from Tennessee and have gained some popularity within recent years, Disciple and The Showdown. I'm not a big fan of either one, but a lot of people seem to enjoy them.

~Brian~

I've been aiming to check out Oblivion Myth but havent had the chance yet. Yngwie is playing here i think at the Cannery on the 29th of this month. It's definately not like it used to be locally. Anyone here remember Sal's or Cantrell's? I remember seeing Transgressor(pre-Intruder) open for Megadeth back in i guess it was 1985ish. My uncle used to sing in a band called Bonzai which included Rhino(Kenny Earl) on drums and the bass player Todd something from Intruder and Bob Langley on geetar. Fun times :)

Gordy

I feel like a clod for not mentioning this band earlier, but Loss is a doom band from Nashville. Their bass player is my second-in-command on the Dragon*Con Dark Fantasy track (and one of the most level-headed people I know).

I'll mention a couple of blasts from the past....Tora Tora hailed from Memphis and Every Mother's Nightmare hailed from Nashville. Of course these bands are more Tennessee hard rock, but who's being picky. :)

~Brian~

Yngwie is playing here i think at the Cannery on the 29th of this month. Gordy

LOL – How is it possible that the Cannery is still standing? When I was hanging out there in the early 1990s, it looked like it might collapse in a light breeze.

Anyone here remember Sal's or Cantrell's?
Gordy

I don't - I'm not sure if they were before or after my time.

My uncle used to sing in a band called Bonzai which included Rhino(Kenny Earl) on drums and the bass player Todd something from Intruder and Bob Langley on geetar. Fun times :)

Gordy

I don’t recall seeing Bonzai, but Bob Langley formed his own band at one point, which kicked ass. I also have fond memories of 15 Strings, Simmonz, Familiar Stranger, Numbskull, Ballistic Whiplash, and a band (whose name escapes me) fronted by John Cowan.

I was shocked when I moved from Phoenix to Nashville in 1989 to discover that the local Nashville bands played all original music – and that there was pretty much a stigma to playing cover tunes. I quickly discovered that while it was fun to spend an evening hearing a band cover Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Queensryche, etc., it was *really* rewarding to discover something new!

Ah, those were the days. My life now is pretty much summed up by “Exit 14” from my favorite refrigerator magnet:

100_0400.jpg