TesseracT - Concealing Fate

If you you look back over the thread no one claimed their musicianship was lacking. Everyone praises the musicianship. We are critiquing the production on the CD, and you yourself said you didn't like the guitar tone. So wouldnt that make you a hypocrite?

If you are referring to Periphery and how most of us state TesseracT is a better band then I would ask you to talk to Misha from Periphery as he himself is a big TesseracT fan. Misha is brilliant as a musician, his choice in guitar tones is something else, and we still don't see eye to eye on it. As for the other 2 guitarists in Periphery ... to me they are still just filler, and I have stated that to Misha on many occasion. Misha is the heart and soul of Periphery plain and simple. Its his baby.

You just DON'T get it do you? :)

-Some posts in this thread indicates that it is a -bad- production.

-I -don't like- the guitarsound myself, but i'm not gonna say it's a bad production just because -I- don't like it. That's what I mean by quality does not equal taste.

-I never stated bashing the productions of skilled musicians is "wrong" or not justified.

-However, I wrote it's kinda "funny" to say stuff like that. ...considering over-avarage talented people ususally know exactly what they want when entering the studio, specially after making a ton of preproductions like Tesseract or Periphery did.

This kicks the shit out of Periphery on so many levels, it's incredible.

Maybe Misha and the guys can make better produced stuff, but better produced =! better to listen to.

EDIT: however, that ambient, sitar-y clean chiming over Djent is incredibly, horribly overused nowadays.
Still kickass though.

It's absolutely fantastic musically. The layers of delays make up a huge part of Tesseract's sound, and have done as long as I can remember having known the band. Sure, it's overused, but when used well, like Tesseract do, it kicks ass. I'll admit that I would have done a few things slightly differently on the production, basically the kick and rhythm guitars. But I'm pretty sure that they're quite satisfied with how it turned out, and the insignificant problems that I have with the album is down to matter of taste, and not anything being wrong per se. I'm not as pro as some of you guys either(yet ;)), so I wouldn't be able to mix it better myself. I'm having a hard time coming up with a release that I've enjoyed more this year.

I'll join the Dan love choir, he's PERFECT for Tesseract. I'm absolutely loving the EP, and I can't wait for the full length.

I've listened to it a few times, and I like it, but... Musically, it's very samey and repetitive, the mix quality is average at best, and, although the singer is obviously talented, the vocal tracks don't really shine like they should the whole time...

After listening to this properly. I must say im not majorly impressed. Maybe it was because I had so much hype built up for it but overall id give it a 7 or 8 music wise(mainly due to the crazy use of delay stuff, i know they have had it the whole time but I felt before it was used more to accentuate, here it feels like the rest of the music is hiding behind it or something).

As for the production, Nope I still dont like it. Compare this version of concealing fate with the old one and there is NO COMPARISON. They should have stuck with whoever did that imo. It sounded killer.

As for the new singer, yes he owns. I aint bashing him in any way but am I really alone in thinking the old guy was a better fit for the band? The new guy sounds kinda devoid of emotion or something in comparison. Again I aint bashing the new guy but am I really the only person who thinks this way? I felt like I was a bit alone when I thought the same about periphery too. Maybe I just have some strange preferences...

The mix is not the best but far from being bad. The worst is the guitars, really scooped, without life and too digital. The music is quite interesting.

Hop out of the goldfish bowl and realize that 99.999% of people have no clue who any of these bands are. It's not like ambient clean guitars through AxeFX delay over "djent" riffs is exactly topping the pop charts anywhere. There's not even many bands doing it in the extreme metal scene. Besides, TesseracT didn't jump on the bandwagon, they put the wheels on that wagon. Ultimately, Meshuggah is at the root of this style, and they were doing similar things guitar-wise back in the 90s. They also have repeatedly acknowledged and supported the bands that they've influenced - so there's no reason to hate on any of this stuff.

Heavy metal began when British guys started playing American blues music through Marshall stacks in the 60s - it's all a big network of influence ultimately - and there's still so many people out there who've never been exposed to modern metal music at all, let alone this crop of up-and-coming bands we're discussing. TesseracT is another forward-looking British group in the tradition of their forefathers, incorporating diverse global influences into their own unique music.

I got the EP and T-Shirt in the mail a few days ago, and I'm loving the music and the production - it all works together cohesively, and you can hear every instrument - and IMO that is all that matters, as long as the band is happy with it. Going to see Devin Townsend Project with TesseracT tonight, I'm about to head to the venue after I write this. If you don't like this music, or the production, fine - but ultimately they worked extremely hard on it, it's very well crafted, and I'm very happy for them and can't wait for the album personally.

Acle's a longtime regular here and he deserves our support. :kickass:

What the fuck, this shit is amazing. Bought the EP earlier today. First half of Track 2 made me drip pre-cum from my dick.

Just got back from the show - they fucking crush live, that's for sure. Dan was more or less flawless; great energy, insane stage presence, absolutely nailed 95% of notes.

Guitar tones were even worse live than they were on record, though. Acle was running a rented 5150II for rhythm tones, and the other guitarist (who looks exactly like Viggo Mortenson) was running into an AxeFX/powermap/Mesa4x12 rig that belonged to Dave Young in DTB - must've been his preset that was the issue, as Dave's sound was awesome.

Okay, so why doesn't Spotify work in germany? Is there anyway to get it to work from different countries?

Great EP, although I prefer slightly more distinct song structures. For example, the part 2:05 in track #2 is the most epic chorus I've ever heard, but they play it ONLY ONCE. You know, chorus is a chorus because the part is so cool that you want to hear it more than once. I guess some of the writing decisions are dictaded by the need of "being different" rather than what would fit the song best. I'm not saying that they should make pop-songs, I'd just like to hear something more memorable than arranged jamming by a talent of this caliber.

Well, loved the EP, the songs are great, the singer is awesome, that tom sound is awesome too and while the guitar sound is kinda meh (kinda fuzzy/boomy, much like an underbiased and unboosted Recto), I think it doesn't distract from the songs - it works. Not a great mix, but the songs completely make up for this, imho.

Can only listen to the trailer on their homepage, and I like what I hear so far!
Don' think that it's "bad" productionwise, even if the kick & guitars aren't my cup of tea exatly
Snare is REALLY cool tough

Saw these guys in Oxford, UK a couple of weeks back, the vocalist was ill unfortunately and couldn't play but they where incredible live just on there own. The live sound was brilliant and there playing was tight, I doubt they even made a mistake the whole night!!

EP is pretty good, the only way I could describe the production is smoooooth, like a latte, but it just works for there style.

Listened this a few times. The production is not awesome, but certainly good enough. For me as well, the guitar tone is the main thing I don't like, and the kick could be a bit better. Really digging the drums otherwise though. Also, the vocals completely destroy! Musically very good too, and I like this far more than Periphery's debut, which I was honestly a bit disappointed with.

BTW, I'm pretty interested in when Fellsilent will be releasing new stuff and what's it going to be like, since Acle's not in the band anymore.

Hop out of the goldfish bowl and realize that 99.999% of people have no clue who any of these bands are. It's not like ambient clean guitars through AxeFX delay over "djent" riffs is exactly topping the pop charts anywhere. There's not even many bands doing it in the extreme metal scene. Besides, TesseracT didn't jump on the bandwagon, they put the wheels on that wagon. Ultimately, Meshuggah is at the root of this style, and they were doing similar things guitar-wise back in the 90s. They also have repeatedly acknowledged and supported the bands that they've influenced - so there's no reason to hate on any of this stuff.

Heavy metal began when British guys started playing American blues music through Marshall stacks in the 60s - it's all a big network of influence ultimately - and there's still so many people out there who've never been exposed to modern metal music at all, let alone this crop of up-and-coming bands we're discussing. TesseracT is another forward-looking British group in the tradition of their forefathers, incorporating diverse global influences into their own unique music.

I got the EP and T-Shirt in the mail a few days ago, and I'm loving the music and the production - it all works together cohesively, and you can hear every instrument - and IMO that is all that matters, as long as the band is happy with it. Going to see Devin Townsend Project with TesseracT tonight, I'm about to head to the venue after I write this. If you don't like this music, or the production, fine - but ultimately they worked extremely hard on it, it's very well crafted, and I'm very happy for them and can't wait for the album personally.

Acle's a longtime regular here and he deserves our support. :kickass:

So, because you like the band and they "worked extremely hard on it" people can't have anything negative to say about it? I'm sorry, but come on... This forum especially is going to care a lot about the production/mix quality. People are going to have (and give) their opinions either way.

Also, when did being able to hear every instrument + the band being happy with the outcome become the defining characteristics of a high quality production? If those were the only requirements to achieve "great production" then none of us would be on this forum.

Oh, and Devin Townsend has been mixing ambient guitars/synths with low tuned Meshuggah-ish rhythms for a LONG time. (Personally, I LIKE that style, but just throwing that point out there...)

I'm NOT just talking shit about the EP by the way. I've liked Teserract since I first heard of them a few years ago, and the EP is fairly cool, but I think the mix is average sounding at best...

About the actual music, I agree about the vocals being much more mature (for lack of a better word) sounding than those on the Periphery album, but the music is kind of dull and overly repetitive compared to the Periphery album IMO. I'm hoping it's just because this EP was originally supposed to be one long song and that the actual album will have more variety.

Listened this a few times. The production is not awesome, but certainly good enough. For me as well, the guitar tone is the main thing I don't like, and the kick could be a bit better. Really digging the drums otherwise though. Also, the vocals completely destroy! Musically very good too, and I like this far more than Periphery's debut, which I was honestly a bit disappointed with.

BTW, I'm pretty interested in when Fellsilent will be releasing new stuff and what's it going to be like, since Acle's not in the band anymore.

Fellsilent isn't a band anymore, but the main writers now have a new band called Monuments.

Don't want to derail this thread, but since Periphery and vocals have inevitably been mentioned, wanted to throw a something out there. Am I the only one that feels that Casey Sabol is possibly to blame for the overly poppy vocals on the Periphery album? Just makes too much sense to me. He quit the band to pursue a career writing pop songs for other artists, he's credited with vocal 'production' on the album, he's written syruppy music prior to being in Periphery, the vocals definitely have his signature style, he recommended Spencer as the new vocalist, etc. etc.. Methinks he wrote a lot of the melodies and taught them to Spencer. I also think that the vocalist prior to Spencer quit b/c he didn't want to sing a lot of that crap. Pure speculation on my part...carry on.