TEST: MXR GT OD, TS9 , TS9DX and Maxon OD808

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi guys,

I had the chance to borrow all these pedals and I did a quick reamp test to see how I liked them. What you hear is a small passage tracked by Marcus Hedwig.

I basically had the pedals on no gain and full blend, with the tone control set about 12 o'clock if I remember it correctly. They are all aligned so just import to your DAW and take a listen for yourselfs.

I would say I prefer the Ibanez ones over the Maxon. They just have somewhat more punch to the sound while the Maxon smears the transient a bit to much for my liking. I always been a bit torned about how i feel about the tubescreamers. I do feel that they kill the dynamics a bit to much and the although the "tightening" that happens in the lows aren't always needed if you already have a really tight amp. For Marcus band The Huddson Horror I actually ended up using the TS9DX in turbo mode, which is cool in its own way. Super saturated without the mid's being pushed to much. Well well...

Here it is, reamped with a Peavy JSX, Rectifier 2x12 with a single sm57. Crane Song Spider preamp with a Little labs redye reamp box. No post processing!

Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3epimo8p72c1ew0/AACg4CbRZCHwm3DrpdXQ4lKEa?dl=0

Not to one-up your thread, but Gear Gods did a pretty neat comparison with a bunch of different ODs:

And I definitely agree with you that the Ibanez sounds punchier.

Last edited by a moderator: