Testament Reccomendations

I started with Practice What You Preach which is a good introduction then buy maybe Low for a taster of how their sound started to change a little bit then but the rest in order.

As some have already posted 'The Gathering' is a good choice. Easily my fav Testament album. It also ranks in my top 25 metal albums of all time. The musicianship is superlative, the production is flawless and, all things considered, as far as American, well known, thrashy, non-Pop metal albums goes this is (IMHO) second only to 'Reign In Blood',
Also worth buying is 'First Strike Still Deadly'. A compilation of older tunes, rerecorded by most of the members of the 'Gathering' players. Very, very good.
I saw Testament open for Priest on their 'Painkiller' tour in the US supporting their 'Souls Of Black' album. Was not impressed but I'll admit I was a bit ignorant as to what was good back then.

I'd say get First Strike Still Deadly first. It's a "greatest hits", but all the songs were re-recorded a few years ago on it and the production is awesome and the songs are heavy as hell. Either that or The Gathering, which is much more extreme than FSSD, but also the best metal album ever IMO, better than Reign In Blood.

The best of albums would be a good place to start then you can go buy the albums that contain the songs you like. Testament change sounds a fair bit, but i'd say buy the gathering first, brutal as hell. First time i heard 3 days in darkness my eyes popped.

I love The Gathering, but IMO it's not the best one for beggining... (unless you like really heavy shit!!)
Start from the first one, and go forward....
...or you can buy FSSD, as someone said before, it's "The best from first two albums" but rerecorded.... co it's a nice thing to start with.....

But I think go chronological - IMO the best way to know some band...

I'd say The New Order. I consider Testament a real thrash band and that album definitely does that title justice. The Gathering is good but it's not really thrash.

In the following order:

The New Order
Souls of Black
Practise What You Preach
The Legacy
Souls of Black
Low
The Gathering
Demonic

Not that that reflects how good the albums are (I love them all) but that's how I go into the band. If someone gets Demonic expecting to hear a Thrash band they're likely to skip everything else which is a crime.

Alternatively you could one of their many, many greatest hits albums... I believe there are 4 and 2 live albums.

Wow... so everybody says Demonic is the least favorite Testament album... that's surprising. I haven't heard it yet, and I'm still looking for it anywhere, only because Gene Hoglan is on drums(I have become accustomed to his signature on-key drumming).

Spreadingthe Living312 said:
here are some reasons Demonic isnt liked too much.

1. Less variation
2. Lack of solos
3. Its death metal, not thrash
Yeah, it's actually not a bad album, but stacked up against their other works it just doesn't compare. It almost like a different band. Except for "Hatreds Rise," that song deserves to be on another album. That's classic Testament right there, what a killer tune!

I love Demonic, it's has a real dark feel to it and a death metal like production and of course Chuck uses his death metal voice the whole album, but the songs are still real thrashy and it's their heaviest album.