TESTAMENT

Testament is one of my all time favorite bands, period! With that said, I'll give you a run down of what I think is essential for you.

1. The New Order - In my opinion this is Testament's answer to "Master of Puppets".....essential? VERY!
2. Practice What You Preach - This album got me into the band and is excellent throughout. A great place to start in my opinion.
3. The Gathering - This is modern Testament without Skolnick, but don't let that fool you. This is a brutal album, but it still has that Testament groove. :headbang:

By the way, get the Live In London DVD...sheer excellence!

~Brian~
What will it take to get Testament to finally play in ATL again?!

Half of The Gathering is amazing. The other half is pretty bad.

Generic riffs. There are a bunch of places where it feels like it's going to go into super speed mode, but then it settles down into half-thrash territory.

I don't like Chuck's extra low voice, which is all over the album.

And for being Alex, the solos are major weaksauce.

The breakdown on the title track is terrible, and 5 minutes long.

Up to the breakdown, the title track is the best track on the album.

More Than Meets The Eye is alright, as are The Evil Has Landed and Afterlife. I could do without the rest.

I admit that the songs are much better live than on the album.

In my opinion, these guys put out a straight forward, thrash album, which is what most of us want to hear from Testament. Granted, Chuck doesn't hit the high notes like he use to back in the old days, but not many of the vocalist do. The drumming is 10 times better than it used to be and the rest of the band sounds on par as well. If you want to hear a weak Testament album, then spin Souls of Black. Your argument reflects more regarding that album than the Formation of Damnation.

~Brian~

If you happen to be a guitar player, you can't go wrong with anything in the Skolnick era. His 'song-within-a-song' solos are, to me, the most badass musical statements in any early America Thrash. Just listen to the solos in the Legacy, or So Many Lies and Return to Serenity off of the Ritual. Melody incarnate!