HAMERFALL RCOMMENDATIONS

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
I am very new to this band. Please give me your top 2 or 3 fvorite CDs. I tend more toward thrashy, power metal such as Iced Earth and Testament. Thanx in advance for your help.

Chris :headbang:

The first 4, really. My two favorites have always been Legacy of Kings and Crimson Thunder. Definitely avoid the last one.

Unlike most bands with 7 albums, Hammerfall has not shifted style whatsoever. If you hear one album - if you hate it, don't listen to any more. Their albums are all the same style, just varying degrees of quality.

I am very new to this band. Please give me your top 2 or 3 fvorite CDs. I tend more toward thrashy, power metal such as Iced Earth and Testament. Thanx in advance for your help.

Chris :headbang:

I'd recommend you simply starting with the latest, No Sacrifice No Victory, and Glory To The Brave. That will give you a good dose of the later sound vs their early sound. I'm fond of Renegade as well.

~Brian~

Definitely avoid the last one.

Interesting, as I think their last one (which I assume you mean their latest, and not THRESHOLD) is their best in a long time.

Start with LEGACY OF KINGS. That is 100% essential HammerFall.

To be honest, as much as I love this band, if you are just discovering them in the year 2010 I wouldn't bother getting the entire discography.

Interesting, as I think their last one (which I assume you mean their latest, and not THRESHOLD) is their best in a long time.

Start with LEGACY OF KINGS. That is 100% essential HammerFall.

To be honest, as much as I love this band, if you are just discovering them in the year 2010 I wouldn't bother getting the entire discography.

I honestly really didn't like No Sacrifice, No Victory. I just found it completely bland and boring, honestly funny at times. Maybe it was just because it was the first album they put out since I more or less completely lost interest in them.

Fair enough......
I mean, I like HammerFall alot, but can't say I really care that much about them these days.
They could call it a day at any moment, and it wouldn't impact me in the least.

The first four albums are a good place to start. Threshold was rather boring, probably about 50/50, but the newest album, No Sacrifice, No Victory is pretty good. There is certainly a difference in HF's sound between the first album, Glory to the Brave, and the new album, but if you listen to the discography in order, you won't notice much of a difference from album to album. As DTJeff has mentioned, they really don't progress much at all in their sound.

I also agree that if you're only just now getting into HF, you probably shouldn't bother with the entire discography. If you've got a friend with some HF albums, borrow those and then decide if you like them. Me, I love HammerFall to bits, but this is partially because they are the first metal band I really got into, around 2000. I didn't know there was anything outside of Nu-Metal and the 80s, I pretty much figured anything good (to me, mind you) as far as metal went wasn't being done anymore. So when I found out that there was metal with melody, I pretty much fell in love immediately. The short of it is, HF is the reason I like metal. If I'd never heard them, I'm not sure what I'd be listening to at this point.

Oh snap!!! I am sorry..
I was recommending albums by the band HammerFall.

I realize you were seeking recommendations for Hamerfall

I am not familiar with this band...sorry.....

Fair enough......
I mean, I like HammerFall alot, but can't say I really care that much about them these days.
They could call it a day at any moment, and it wouldn't impact me in the least.

Yeah, I feel the same. I just rewatched the "One Crimson Night" DVD the other night, and I really enjoyed it - and I expect to really enjoy seeing them again in September. But what they're doing doesn't really interest me anymore. The older stuff will always be somewhat special to me because it was big in my formative power metal years - but I can't tell you the last time I WANTED to listen to Hammerfall.

LEGACY OF KINGS

then pick any, after listening to the aforementioned you will be a fan, so...it wont really matter what you pick next LOL!

The short of it is, HF is the reason I like metal.

You know, I'm in the same boat as you. I remember when I was in High School and Legacy of Kings came out and I was like, what the hell is this. I've always listened to Maiden and Manowar, but a new band kicking so much ass was awesome. They quickly became one of my favorite bands and introduced me to Power Metal. Those first two Hammerfall CDs are some of the best Power Metal CDs. Legacy of Kings is actually the first album that I loved instantly after listening to it only once. I was so pissed when they played Chicago the first time opening for Death and it was a 21 and over show.

Now being the band that introduced me to best music out there, I can not remember the last time I have listened to them. I don't know how a band that can release such epics as Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings put out such boring CDs after LoK. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a CD as I was with Renegade. Crimson Thunder was actually pretty good and I was excited once again about Hammerfall. But then they did it again...Chapter V was so boring and didn't have one song that stood out. I have not purchased any CD after this.

I never bought the idea that it was Patrik leaving that made them loose their umph (sp). I mean, he didn't write any of the music and even though the drumming is fantastic on those CDs, Anders is a hell of a drummer. But who knows, what the f*ck happened to this band after Legacy of Kings. I was wearing an Angra shirt this weekend and someone came up to me and asked if I was going to see Hammerfall this Spring and I said, no, I gave up on that band a long time ago. He high fived me and said the same thing. It's a real shame.

Sorry for the rant, but I do not think any band has let me down as much as them (not even Queensryche has made me feel this bad).

If you are new to Hammerfall, my recommendation would be to get any CD besides the first two, and if you like that, you will absolutely love Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings. If you start with those 2, you probably will get disappointed with the other CDs.

I like Chapter V. It's not in my top HF CDs, but I like it. The only one I'm really not all that crazy about is Threshold. But all their other releases are ones that I'm fairly pleased with. Granted, the albums I listen to the most are the first four. Of course, I have been listening to the new album a lot lately, but that's partially because it's new(ish) annnnnd...all my other HF CDs are packed away with the majority of my CD collection.

First 2 albums (Glory, Legacy) are very good. I hated hated hated hated Renegade. The band almost seemed like they were tired and didn't care on that one. And then Crimson Thunder came out and that was great. The next 2 (Chapter V, Threshold) aren't bad. They wouldn't be my first choice for them. Their latest I feel is their best album since Crimson Thunder.