Thank you and good night...

Thanks Glenn! Next year's line up is the shit. For me, sometimes the best thing about ProgPower isn't seeing my favorite band, but seeing something I'll never have a chance to see. Therion in America again? Arcturus too!? Sanctuary is back?!?!? These are once in a life time deals.

Well as I have said for years now some people have no idea what "progressive" means. What you are doing here Glenn with such a diverse line-up fits the name of this festival more than ever. Not saying it is the best or worse line-up, but it is certainly a step away from what I personally saw as becoming formula which is NOT "progressive" (to those of you who are unaware of the word's meaning is).
This line up is finally what I hoped this festival would become and that is diversity. Believe it or not some of us are quite open to a wide range of metal and not just narrowed down to the cookie cutter (so called) progressive bands and Disney metal. So Sir I do applaud you for this move and your choices in this case.
I do see While Heaven Wept as an odd choice to test the doom waters, think you might have looked towards a stronger hitter (SOLITUDE AETURNUS ;)), still I understand a lot more reasoning went behind this choice and believe it will be just fine.
Last year and this coming year will give me a chance to see two of my all time favorite metal bands, Crimson Glory and Sanctuary. I never thought I would ever see either so never even imaged it. And all though I had mixed feelings about the Crimson Glory performance and Midnight (R.I.P.) was not fronting the band it was still Crimson Glory playing those songs and they were amazing. That helped a little when trying to look over the fact that some of the singers seemed to have no idea what they were singing and were only there to be looked at, but that is another issue. Sanctuary however; well I can say that I have never been floored after hearing that I might have the chance to see a band like I was when I heard that Sanctuary was headlining. I still am choking up when I think about the fact that I will see this band.
As for the "regulars" well I can say this about what I noticed from being a vendor this year; there is a percentage of people who make up that festival though perhaps small, who are not being recognized. There are a lot of folks there who just like pure heavy metal. And as I watched bands like Sanctuary being pulled from my boxes hand over fist it kind of gave the impression that some the ProgPower audience might want some heavy metal without all of the prefixes.
If ProgPower is to be "progressive" itself it needs to change and not have formula. If Progpower is to stay the premier heavy metal festival in America then it should diverse.
Glenn I raise my glass to you. And for the “naysayers” well … ok I’ll leave that alone or you will have to remove this like you removed them before when I have addressed just those folks.
:lol:

Well as I have said for years now some people have no idea what "progressive" means. What you are doing here Glenn with such a diverse line-up fits the name of this festival more than ever. Not saying it is the best or worse line-up, but it is certainly a step away from what I personally saw as becoming formula which is NOT "progressive" (to those of you who are unaware of the word's meaning is).
This line up is finally what I hoped this festival would become and that is diversity. Believe it or not some of us are quite open to a wide range of metal and not just narrowed down to the cookie cutter (so called) progressive bands and Disney metal. So Sir I do applaud you for this move and your choices in this case.
I do see While Heaven Wept as an odd choice to test the doom waters, think you might have looked towards a stronger hitter (SOLITUDE AETURNUS ;)), still I understand a lot more reasoning went behind this choice and believe it will be just fine.
Last year and this coming year will give me a chance to see two of my all time favorite metal bands, Crimson Glory and Sanctuary. I never thought I would ever see either so never even imaged it. And all though I had mixed feelings about the Crimson Glory performance and Midnight (R.I.P.) was not fronting the band it was still Crimson Glory playing those songs and they were amazing. That helped a little when trying to look over the fact that some of the singers seemed to have no idea what they were singing and were only there to be looked at, but that is another issue. Sanctuary however; well I can say that I have never been floored after hearing that I might have the chance to see a band like I was when I heard that Sanctuary was headlining. I still am choking up when I think about the fact that I will see this band.
As for the "regulars" well I can say this about what I noticed from being a vendor this year; there is a percentage of people who make up that festival though perhaps small, who are not being recognized. There are a lot of folks there who just like pure heavy metal. And as I watched bands like Sanctuary being pulled from my boxes hand over fist it kind of gave the impression that some the ProgPower audience might want some heavy metal without all of the prefixes.
If ProgPower is to be "progressive" itself it needs to change and not have formula. If Progpower is to stay the premier heavy metal festival in America then it should diverse.
Glenn I raise my glass to you. And for the “naysayers” well … ok I’ll leave that alone or you will have to remove this like you removed them before when I have addressed just those folks.
:lol:

Excellent post. I agree 100 percent. Despite liking Dream Theater, a lot of what people tend to think is progressive has become more of the same style as the aforementioned band.

Glen , first off thanks again for another memorable weekend in Atlanta. I left thoroughly satisfied with the the shows i saw. Next on the list, I am a semi-regular,having only attended 3 progs including this year and every year there is a band or two i am not familiar with. So what? It's almost always a great surprise and bonus in that i get to add one more band to my list of favorites,(is it ok to have fourty-eleven favorites?)
Dude, it comes down to prog being your baby and you book who you want to. Several of us,Troy, Joel and I are already doing the research on the bands we don't know. We don't understand your reasoning for booking some of the bands you book, BUT, I have yet to leave dissappointed. Just keep doing what you do. If your marketing stratagy has to change..... so be it. I hope you pack the place next year and squelch all the naysayers and prophets of doom. (sounds like a good name for a band) so handshakes and pats on the back to you,your wife and crew.

I've been to every single ProgPower USA event that ever took place (I often wonder how many others can say the same) .....there is always something to entice me to come back........if not the bands, then the comradery and friendships. :)

Thank you Glenn and Jen for doing all you do, year after year - taking risks and dealing with stressful situations. I am truly honored to work for you and to be part of the best crew in the world! My brothers and sisters in the crew are all top notch individuals and I can't imagine working with a better bunch of people! I sincerely hope you find it in yourselves to keep this festival alive! I know I want to continue being part of it.

Yes, the days are long and hard, but at the end of the day when you see the bands and audience having the time of their life, it makes it all worth it! As someone who has a lot of experience playing live and seeing shows, I just try to provide the bands with the type of service I would like if I were in their shoes so that the audience (which I was a part of since PP1) will have the kind of experience that I would want to have.

If people had half an idea with what goes on behind the scenes I think they would flip.

We've sat and listened for 8 years from our merch tables to those who bitch and complain how things are not as they would have them. The changing of the guards (new people attending) is a must both to attendance at Progpower and also at marketing. CD Inzane also makets this way as Glenn does, looking past the complainers and pushing sales of new attendees and new buyers. Those that are solid loyalty are great, all others that gripe and think they can do better, have not!

Progpower is the blood, sweat and tears of many, all led by brother and family Glenn and Miel. There is not a better show around. 2011's show is a hit, 12 Fucking years of pure professional metal. Glenn has set the bar, no others have been able to top it.

Thanks to another great year brother Glenn and thank you too Miel, RED CIRCUIT and SANCTUARY are sensational as are the full cast whom make the progpower shows run seemingly effortless!

Glenn and Miel, thanks for putting on yet another killer festival. The bands ruled! There's really not enough words to express gratitude as a fan so not year going to have to find you at some point and bow down "We're not worthy". Can't wait for the how you booked them thread - the behind the scenes work that goes on for this festival is incredible to people like me that have no experience in the music industry or at putting a show together.

Thanks again!

(bit off topic)

J:

This line up is finally what I hoped this festival would become and that is diversity.

So many people that I have heard call for diversity have asked for more doom, traditional, heavy, thrash, etc metal. What about lighter prog? I know this festival IS a metal festival but I thought Enchant was a fucking awesome set last year. What about bands like The Third Ending, Subsignal, Frost*, Lunatic Soul, Abigail's Ghost, Pineapple Thief, Oceansize, Myrath, or Sylvan?

Just a thought. Diversity rules!!!!

Glenn and Miel, thanks for putting on yet another killer festival. The bands ruled! There's really not enough words to express gratitude as a fan so not year going to have to find you at some point and bow down "We're not worthy". Can't wait for the how you booked them thread - the behind the scenes work that goes on for this festival is incredible to people like me that have no experience in the music industry or at putting a show together.

Thanks again!

(bit off topic)

J:

So many people that I have heard call for diversity have asked for more doom, traditional, heavy, thrash, etc metal. What about lighter prog? I know this festival IS a metal festival but I thought Enchant was a fucking awesome set last year. What about bands like The Third Ending, Subsignal, Frost*, Lunatic Soul, Abigail's Ghost, Pineapple Thief, Oceansize, Myrath, or Sylvan?

Just a thought. Diversity rules!!!!

I see the "lighter prog" as being a hard sell personally. I'm a huge prog fan as far as Yes, ELP, and stuff like that but it is goddamn boring has hell live. I felt the same way watching Riverside, though I like the band I struggle through the live set. This is not any jab at these bands but if I'm at a concert I would like to see something lively. Yet I have thought seeing My Dying Bride might go the same way. Jeez imagine trying to make it through a Winter set, soom doom would just not go over well in my option.