Thanks!

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
I'm glad I subscribed. It's always a cool thing to see the LOTFP on my doormat when I'm back from work. I generally read in in the bath (sorry about the mental images that may conjour up!)

I read the dig at In Flames with interest. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When you're this involved with the scene it does become "us & them". There should be no doubt that Slipknot (for instance) are a metal band, but the popularity and the promotional hype places the band on an entirely alien level to someone who knows and loves the scene.

I'd also like to point out that In Flames must realise what they're letting themselves in for here, and are openly accepting it. It's more than likely that the band have had to pay to join the Slipknot tour (It cost me $7500 to get Opeth on the CoF tour, for example) and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the type of audience that they'll be playing to. It seems In Flames want the best of both worlds: Underground integrity AND mainstream acceptance. A VERY rare commodity, and generally only used for bands that have stuck to their guns (AC/DC, etc), or have "ironic" value (Manowar, etc).

In Flames will fall on their arse with this one. They're not gimmicky enough for the "Kids" and now they're ostracising their original listeners. Not a good move.

I've yet to hear Crim's British Black Metal comp, so I suppose I'll have to order one. Does it mention in the liner notes that Megiddo features members of Anathema? Or that Antichrist was Digby from Earache plus a couple of other guys just taking the piss? They took a Gism demo, speeded it up and added some vocals just to make a few bucks out of The Bailey Brothers (80's metal twats) who were putting together a thrash comp album and didn't have a clue. hehe.

I understand that you spoke to Davide from Ephel Duath? If that's correct, how did it go? He's paranoid about his English skills, so I'm keen to know if it's actually okay, or if he's just being paranoid like most foreign guys seem to be about their English. Davide's coming to the UK next week for interviews and photshoots with Kerrang and Terrorizer. Should be fun. Do you like the album?

Okay, enough from me.

Lee

Originally posted by Lee_B
I've yet to hear Crim's British Black Metal comp, so I suppose I'll have to order one. Does it mention in the liner notes that Megiddo features members of Anathema? Or that Antichrist was Digby from Earache plus a couple of other guys just taking the piss? They took a Gism demo, speeded it up and added some vocals just to make a few bucks out of The Bailey Brothers (80's metal twats) who were putting together a thrash comp album and didn't have a clue. hehe.

It does mention 'rumors' that Megiddo had members of a more famous band, doesn't say who. Antichrist is pushed as a legit evil band that released at least two demos with members named Screaming Entrails, Hacked Giblets, The Necrophiliac, and Dogs Innards. Bet that got them all the groupies.

I'm disappointed that I haven't gotten any hate mail for flushing Venom. I an understand it as an 'at the time...' kind of thing, but I'm completely bewildered how new fans get old Venom and go 'yyeeeeaaahhh!' I think I was just 10 years too late for it, as starting off with Deicide for the first taste of the anti-Christian stuff doesn't make Venom look extreme by comparison in either sound or philosophy/gimmick...

I understand that you spoke to Davide from Ephel Duath? If that's correct, how did it go? He's paranoid about his English skills, so I'm keen to know if it's actually okay, or if he's just being paranoid like most foreign guys seem to be about their English. Davide's coming to the UK next week for interviews and photshoots with Kerrang and Terrorizer. Should be fun. Do you like the album?

Frankly, his English is terrible. Transcribing that one's going to be a son of a bitch, haha. Haven't you talked to him?

What would an Ephel Duath photo shoot consist of? And seriously, is it really more cost effective flying someone across a continent for actual face-time like that as opposed to just phoning it in from Italy? Or is it more like the mags wouldn't be bothered unless you get in their faces?

The album is very cool, except for the two remix tracks, but with 11 other songs on there, I can ignore them. :)

Lee, your personal pic. is awesome. Wrong......but hilarious.

As for In Flames......not much I can say. Personally, I think that statement was a big mistake on their part. They should've just kept their mouths shut, and did what they wanted to do......whether it pisses off their fans or not. I highly doubt I'll be buying anything else they release anyway, so I don't care what they do. I have Jester Race thru Clayman (......which I think is good, but not spectacular)......but I'm just a bit bored with their style. I really like their albums I have, but don't care to buy any more. (...if that makes sense?) Kinda like Hammerfall. I really like their 1st two, but that was enough. No desire at all to buy Renegade....or anything else they release.

There is new/better stuff out there to explore.

Jim

I don't think your average LotFP reader gives a rip about Venom. They have historical value, but nothing musically.

Have you got any hate mail for your comments about the Maiden fiasco? Die hard Maiden fans can be easily riled :lol:

Frankly, his English is terrible. Transcribing that one's going to be a son of a bitch, haha. Haven't you talked to him?

No, I've never spoken to him on the phone. It's been email all the way or via their manager.

Or is it more like the mags wouldn't be bothered unless you get in their faces?

You got it. Kerrang especially. You either fly a journo out to meet them (all expences paid, of course..) or get the band over to the UK. How the other half live, eh? hehe.

On another note, I have to say that I worshiped Venom in the day, but then there was little else around similar at the time. bands like Slayer and Metallica were only just starting to appear, so Venom were as brutal as it got back then. I have to agree on hindsight (I just gave "At War With Satan" a spin) that first doesn't usually mean the best... Primitive is good. Ham-fisted is bad :)

I don't understand how you can hate Possessed though.. I recall hearing 7 Churches for the first time. I was standing in Shades Record store in London (now sadly defunct) and the "Exorcist" keyboard music came over the speakers, and then exploded into the main song. I had a copy of their demo, but I had no idea that they'd made an album. It was a US import and I only had enough money for a domestic album plus my train fare home. I hitched back that day.... Great band, and it's a pity that everything they did after 7 Churches sucked Donkey balls.

Lee B

You got it. Kerrang especially. You either fly a journo out to meet them (all expences paid, of course..) or get the band over to the UK. How the other half live, eh? hehe.

I prefer comfort. Trivia fact: I conducted Thursday's Virgin Black and Ephel Duath interviews completely nude! Couldn't do that in person. Well, unless if it was a Nightwish interview... then that would be cool. Depending on who in the band I was talking to.

I don't understand how you can hate Possessed though.. I recall hearing 7 Churches for the first time. I was standing in Shades Record store in London (now sadly defunct) and the "Exorcist" keyboard music came over the speakers, and then exploded into the main song. I had a copy of their demo, but I had no idea that they'd made an album. It was a US import and I only had enough money for a domestic album plus my train fare home. I hitched back that day.... Great band, and it's a pity that everything they did after 7 Churches sucked Donkey balls.
Lee B

I don't hate-hate them (I never got rid of 7 Churches), but it's not like you really can listen to them at the same level of sophistication as the early 90s bands, or today's bands... not like listening to early Dio, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, or Rush and know they still rule over all that was influenced by them down the road.

I still think the reason my metal phase lasted more than 3 months was that the lyrics to Utopia Banished weren't dumb.