question regarding live sound

SnidelyW

Jul 7, 2003
ok, i posted a negative comment about in flames at the soilwork forum because i really felt the fact that in flames had phenominal sound and soilwork didnt, that in flames were "reserving" the better sound for themselves - this was in regards to the 7/2 pittsburgh show -

the fact remains that soilwork sounded muffled at best, and in flames sounded really fantastic by comparison -

does each band have their own sound guy? does the in flames sound guy work sound for everyone?

why would soilwork and chimaira settle for a sub-quality sound when better sound was obviously available?

anybody want to take a crack at this conundrum?

See, you should have made THIS thread before posting shit on Soilwork's board to get your facts straight first and avoid embarrassing yourself ... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98556

for an explanation on why opening acts sometimes have shitty sound, check your stupid thread and read Battman's post ... should answer all your questions

opener's don't settle for lesser sound, it's a reality they have to deal with ... I got bootlegs of Soilwork from their tour with Hypocrisy where you see them talking in swedish to the soundman (probably Hypocrisy's) in between songs while playing around with their instruments until they get the sound they want ... hell, I even have a bootleg of In Flames from their tour with Earth Crisis where Anders asks the soundman if they could get a little more vocals in their sound after a less than stellar rendition of Bullet Ride

Mr. NoReaction
In Flames' brownest fan

See, you should have made THIS thread before posting shit on Soilwork's board to get your facts straight first and avoid embarrassing yourself ... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ead.php?t=98556

to which i say:

i never embarressed myself dipshit, i still think anything ive heard by in flames sounds like sped up iron maiden, at best - and the funny thing is, there are people on THIS forum who seem to not be able to stand in flames anymore either, ha fucking ha -

i felt the replies to my post at soilworks forum were nasty and condescending, and didnt really shed any light on whether soilwork had their own sound guy or if one sound guy ran the entire night -

it still pisses me off that the band that i came to see sounded like they were playing through wet paper bags, and THE ALMIGHTY IN FLAMES sounded similar if not as good as their albums -

maybe i should have been more diplomatic, but maybe if in flames were more concerned with promoting their opening bands and not with stopping shows because of stage divers bumping into the singer, they would be bigger -

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah -

by the way, if anyone in the know happens to be familiar with the adio intricacies of the in flames soilwork show, could you PLEASE explain to me why soilwork sounded like shit? is it their equipment? is the PA only at 50%, what the fuck?

SnidelyW said:
Mr. NoReaction
In Flames' brownest fan

See, you should have made THIS thread before posting shit on Soilwork's board to get your facts straight first and avoid embarrassing yourself ... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ead.php?t=98556

to which i say:

i never embarressed myself dipshit, i still think anything ive heard by in flames sounds like sped up iron maiden, at best - and the funny thing is, there are people on THIS forum who seem to not be able to stand in flames anymore either, ha fucking ha -

i felt the replies to my post at soilworks forum were nasty and condescending, and didnt really shed any light on whether soilwork had their own sound guy or if one sound guy ran the entire night -

it still pisses me off that the band that i came to see sounded like they were playing through wet paper bags, and THE ALMIGHTY IN FLAMES sounded similar if not as good as their albums -

maybe i should have been more diplomatic, but maybe if in flames were more concerned with promoting their opening bands and not with stopping shows because of stage divers bumping into the singer, they would be bigger -

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah -

by the way, if anyone in the know happens to be familiar with the adio intricacies of the in flames soilwork show, could you PLEASE explain to me why soilwork sounded like shit? is it their equipment? is the PA only at 50%, what the fuck?

uhh....
Shut up.

youre totally entitled to your opinion, but why wouldnt i want the best for my favorite band? and why wouldnt i be pissed off when what happened happens?

you middle of the road fuckers are so politically correct - do you think the artists we "idolize" are so bland and afraid of offending?

so go ahead, jump on your band wagon, god forbid someone say something negative about inn flames - the almighty in flames had nothing to do with the fact that everybodys sound sucked but theirs - yeah, absolutely, i totally buy it - got some swamp land i might want?

god, un fucking real - grow the fuck up and think for yourselves -

well well welll. I have to agree with SnidelyW. I was at the Atlanta show. Soilwork sounded terrible. The guitars were not auditable. Drums and vocals were going in and out, and keyboards were non-existant. Plus, the volume was so low, maybe @ 50%. In flames went on and it was so loud, everything was clear. So to some extent, it's a plore to make them sound better. This is a proven fact that most opening bands get the shaft. I can speak for that being in a band that has opened up for major acts here in Atlanta.

I spoke with the Keyboardist from Soilwork afterwards and told him that they needed to hire somone else; he asked me what was wrong, and I told him everything. The sound engineer was beside us and he said something to him about it.

All in all it was a great show; seeing these two bands play together.

"RM"
www.lilitu.ws

youre totally entitled to your opinion, but why wouldnt i want the best for my favorite band? and why wouldnt i be pissed off when what happened happens?
Because not everything is going to go your way in life as demonstrated. Annoyed at it? Go take it up with someone important enough to fix it.

you middle of the road fuckers are so politically correct - do you think the artists we "idolize" are so bland and afraid of offending?
What the fuck are you talking about. I dont idolize In Flames, and I dont like Soilwork. How are we even close to "offending" when the band probably doesnt even look at this forum, its unofficial, we know actual band members post in the official ones, but not here.
so go ahead, jump on your band wagon, god forbid someone say something negative about inn flames - the almighty in flames had nothing to do with the fact that everybodys sound sucked but theirs - yeah, absolutely, i totally buy it - got some swamp land i might want?
What bandwagon is that? God forbid someone not say something negitive about In Flames, your obviously newer than I thought, if you havent looked around, the majority of this forum are on the borderline with RTR, or hate it, its a minority that like the album.
god, un fucking real - grow the fuck up and think for yourselves -
Grow up? lmao.

The last two times I've seen In Flames peform live, Anders' mic was reverb the hell up. It sounded okay when the rest of the band were playing, but when it's just Anders singing or talking, there was a constant echo.

As shows progress the sound gets better. Openers always have the least volume. Headliners are always loudest. Its like that basically because you are there to see the main act, and not that main act get blown away by some band who may actually sound better.

When I saw Iced Earth and Megadeth their volume was about the same and IE blew Deth away.