Overall, I think In Flames are still good!

Taotrac

Aug 30, 2006
I want to start this thread to ask - why does everyone dislike the rather recent sounds of In Flames?

For me, the only gripe I have, is that really, In Flames have never been a band, in my opinion, that creates albums that are enjoyable as a whole - it really seems that filler tracks pop up every few tracks or so, tracks that are largely forgettable or rather annoying in tempo or sound.

Other than that, every album so far, Sounds Of A Playground Fading included, have had some fantastic songs that I really enjoy. I'd even say that A Sense Of Purpose was the first In Flames album that I actually enjoy all the way through - even the filler tracks strike me better than they do on other albums!

For me, The Chosen Pessimist was probably the greatest thing In Flames have ever done (I adore the simplistic build-up of the song, a simple riff that turns into something so large!), and the hit songs like Abnegation (early version), Come Clarity, Deliver Us (amazing song!), A New Dawn, Liberation, Where The Dead Ships Dwell, Disconnected, Crawl Through Knives, Reflect The Storm, and even Bedtime Stories is one amazing gem!

With the last three albums, the real negative for me is that sometimes the choruses of the songs simply don't live up to the verses, or that some of the songs just don't achieve a grand picture or shape that a band as old as In Flames should be able to paint. Some of the songs simply don't have an impact or memorability at all - however, I can't say that In Flames have always been great at this on older albums, either.

With In Flames, we've always had great songs and a number of forgettable ones, IMO!

I guess the only negative I understand is that, sure, the "hits" over the past three albums have gotten a little weaker than they used to be - not that they're bad songs, but that the overall energy and impact is just a little weaker emotionally. I still think that a few of them have been the best that In Flames have done, but without a doubt, hits like Cloud Connected, The Quiet Place, Only For The Weak, ect ect, just have more of a "punch", and not just in a metal way - but in a memorability way.

Almost any metal fans would know those songs, even if they like it or not.

With the new ones, they're great too, but I guess the memorability and cool factor of In Flames has went down just a bit. They've gotten poppier, a little more simplistic, and a little less iconic.

Personally, though, I still listen to In Flames and I'm still excited to see what they put out next. I think Anders is a better vocalist for his style than Jonathan Davis (Korn), and one thing I do love is Ander's free-style-direction that he's taken on recent albums. I really like it when it goes crazy with the song and gets a little out of tempo, it makes the songs sound more natural and fun - I especially loved that Sense Of Purpose didn't "cut and paste" choruses: if you notice, Anders' singing on each of the choruses is different on each one. The songs sound like a full take, and I loved that, it brung so much personality to the mix, I believed.

From what I think, Sounds Of A Playground Fading admittingly dissapointed me a bit - I was indeed expecting something grander, and even more fully realized than A Sense Of Purpose; I didn't expect so many songs that I do label as filler. I expected something with much more experimentation, tone, and energy. But it wasn't overall a bad album, and without a doubt, the songwriting talent was still there on a number of tracks!

Overall, I guess the thing is, is that In Flames created their own style, and really, they haven't strayed all that far from it. They've adopted some simplicism that may come with many bands who age, get older, and have a little less influence (Dark Tranquillity did the exact same thing recently), but overall, there are so many bands who are doing much worse. To me, In Flames are still really high on my list!

With the new preview, the one thing I must say, I love the intro, but the drum beat is just plain weird, and seems to throw the build-up off by a mile - I do have to say, I hope this new album doesn't have as odd tempos as Sounds! To me, it just sounds strange...

I especially loved that Sense Of Purpose didn't "cut and paste" choruses: if you notice, Anders' singing on each of the choruses is different on each one.

Sounds like you're trying to start a war here. But regardless, are you trying to imply that their older albums cut and paste the chorus? I'm pretty sure he never really did that. Maybe Krofius can help.

People who complain about bands changing are usually just out-of-shape nerds that have nothing else going on in their lives.

I personally am just happy to see bands stay together after hard times.

Sounds like you're trying to start a war here. But regardless, are you trying to imply that their older albums cut and paste the chorus? I'm pretty sure he never really did that. Maybe Krofius can help.
:D

Well from my recollection without going back and listening to their discography I feel like it's pretty much been the same since TJR with the choruses. There is songs where it's not cut and pasted but mostly it is. However in the old days there were a bit more intricate song patterns, a bit more progressive although the choruses were still simplistic.

Nowadays the song patterns in general are more simplistic but you have examples like March To the Shore, Fear is the Weakness, Sounds of A Playground Fading where the choruses are different. So maybe actually, there might be a small edge to the newer material, less cut and paste choruses. It at least feels like it.

At least that is my opinion without studying each song before writing this post lol