Do you think it's still In Flames?

Darth Jester

Oct 5, 2011
Do you think it's still In Flames after Jesper left?

Personally I don't think so, he was, with Björn, the main musical creative force. Now that he's not there writing anything anymore, I don't think it's the same.

However I must say that for few latest albums even if Jesper was around it felt more like In Flames 2, this millennium hasn't been the same. But it doesn't have to be...

Dude, you give that guy way too much credit. He has a legend spot in IF history, hell, it was his child, but you have to realize he was not the driving force towards the end years, hell, he did much more harm than good. Imagine working with a guy whom you respect greatly, you consider him your friend, and even though you consider yourself a piece of shit for thinking it, you know you have to get rid of him if you want a healthy work-environment.

Anyway, do you like what they do or not? That is the only thing should matter.

Way too much credit indeed. You realize he doesn't write all the fucking music? Never has, never did. It's always been a combination of the people in the band, mostly Anders, Bjorn and Jesper.

Jesper leaving didn't do jack shit other than maybe pursuing stylistic changes Jesper wasn't fond of.

I don't care what anyone says, Sounds Of a Playground Fading is probably one of the best new albums they've ever done. The guitar work is stellar, some of the best they've done in a while.

It blows A Sense Of Purpose out of the water in all directions. ASOP sounds like soft Come Clarity b sides with bad production.

Of course it's not the same band. Sounds of a Playgorund Fading is a joke. And Jesper was a creative force. Read the credits. If I'm not mistaken, they mostly all say "music by Stromblad and Gelotte."

Is that a slight stab at Come Clarity? I think CC is a pretty solid album.

Really? No. It's a stab at A Sense Of Purpose being shit. Why listen to a soft shitty Come Clarity when I can just listen to, I don't know, COME CLARITY?

Of course it's not the same band. Sounds of a Playgorund Fading is a joke. And Jesper was a creative force. Read the credits. If I'm not mistaken, they mostly all say "music by Stromblad and Gelotte."

I have stated before and will state again. Sounds Of A Playground Fading is an amazing album, and it SHITS ALL OVER A SENSE OF PURPOSE.

Anyone who thinks Sounds is "a joke" needs to get the fuck over their elitist taste in music.

Tell me, how is Sounds bad? Amazing guitars, great vocals, great lyrics, great production. Great dynamics, Great variety in tracks.

It has everything that A Sense Of Purpose didn't have, you know, that album where your precious Jesper was still a part of.

Bjorn stated he practice as hard as he could before Sounds, and you can hear it. The riffs are amazing. Fuck you for thinking it's "a joke".

It's straight up as good as Come Clarity and Reroute.

I 100% agree with Clay-Man. SOAPF is a fantastic album, my personal favourite of the "new" era (inclusive of R2R). If you can't enjoy SOAPF you might as well stop following the band entirely, as that's the best you'll get from the modern IF sound.

Jesper's influence has always been vastly overstated imo. Whilst he may have musically been largely behind the 1996-2000 albums (I don't include Lunar/Sub due to band members being totally different), he was still a member and a creative figure for Reroute, Soundtrack, Come Clarity and the disgusting ASOP. Whether he had mentally checked out during this period or not I don't know, but I'm sure he wrote quite a few of those riffs and had plenty of say in the direction of the band's sound. I'm not sure why Jesper seems to be exonerated for the new era albums when he was very much a part of their conception.

From what I've heard of The Resistance there's nothing Jesper could give the band now to make them better.

SC is by far the least "In Flames" sounding album ever, but I don't think Jesper's departure has anything to do with it.

Of course it's not the same band. Read the credits. If I'm not mistaken, they mostly all say "music by Stromblad and Gelotte."

This. On The Jester Race and Whoracle, it's Jesper, Björn and Glenn who have writing credits and on Colony it says music by Jesper and Björn. It's pretty clear who wrote those albums.

Unfortunately Jesper and Björn also wrote RtR and STYE and whatever came after that, I'm not even 100% sure these days, IF was a 90s band, whatever came after that... personally, I don't care.

SOAPF is mediocore, ASOP>SOAPF anyday, everyday.

'sup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw
This. On The Jester Race and Whoracle, it's Jesper, Björn and Glenn who have writing credits and on Colony it says music by Jesper and Björn. It's pretty clear who wrote those albums.

Unfortunately Jesper and Björn also wrote RtR and STYE and whatever came after that, I'm not even 100% sure these days, IF was a 90s band, whatever came after that... personally, I don't care.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? You want to praise the guy then in the same post you admit he had a lot to do with albums you are disgusted with? Basically your question makes no sense.

It was not IF to you when Jesper was still around and it is still IF to us with Jesper being long gone.

Really? No. It's a stab at A Sense Of Purpose being shit. Why listen to a soft shitty Come Clarity when I can just listen to, I don't know, COME CLARITY?

I know ASOP is shit (but at least it's something, right?), I was just a little confused why you would compare it to CC at all. I think we're on the same page, I was just a little thrown off.

I know ASOP is shit (but at least it's something, right?), I was just a little confused why you would compare it to CC at all. I think we're on the same page, I was just a little thrown off.

It just sounds really boring and uninspired compared to their other albums, and even when not comparing, I still can't listen to it.

It just sounds so boring and redundant, all the songs sound the same.

Tell me, how is Sounds bad? Amazing guitars, great vocals, great lyrics, great production. Great dynamics, Great variety in tracks.

The album sucks and is a joke of an In Flames record. Amazing guitars? No, that would be Whoracle and Colony. Great vocals? No that would be Everything up to Clayman. Great lyrics? No again everything up to Clayman. Great diversity of tracks? yea lots of different nu metal structures for sure. So we agree on that one.

The album sucks and is a joke of an In Flames record. Amazing guitars? No, that would be Whoracle and Colony. Great vocals? No that would be Everything up to Clayman. Great lyrics? No again everything up to Clayman. Great diversity of tracks? yea lots of different nu metal structures for sure. So we agree on that one.

Oh, you're the same person who said Anders was rapping on As The Future Repeats.

Anything you say is invalid and retarded. Nevermind. I was getting mad over nothing.

I suggest getting help for your autism.

Da' hate on ASOP, let it flow through you guys! I hope they pick tons of stuff from that album for this tour! Hell ,play the whole album! Though I don't like The Mirror's Truth and sadly it's probably be one of the track off the album with Alias or Delight And Angers.

As for CC, it has some boring tracks, sure. Reflect The Storm is just terrible (and a huge miss, could've been a great track), and I just roll my eyes when people talk about how repetitive SC is when we are talking about the band who made Reflect The Fucking Boring Storm. On the other hand, the sound of that album is really unique and it's the heaviest album of the new era, I don't think you can generalize that album, it has a lot of variety, even if it comes with the cost of being hard to like all the songs.

I love how uneasy conscience said casually how he doesn't give a fuck about IF anymore, but keeps coming back from his cave struggling to accept the reality. It's funny, because he must be old, yet he acts like a fucking child, which is just sad - and hilarious at the same time. I envy the guy if his biggest problem post 30/40/whatever is to make sure he pisses himself in the face every now and then on this board.

Oh, you're the same person who said Anders was rapping on As The Future Repeats.

Anything you say is invalid and retarded. Nevermind. I was getting mad over nothing.

I suggest getting help for your autism.

You know someone is clueless when they call it "As the Future Repeats."

haha. Don't let Krofius see this post!

I love how uneasy conscience said casually how he doesn't give a fuck about IF anymore, but keeps coming back from his cave struggling to accept the reality. It's funny, because he must be old, yet he acts like a fucking child, which is just sad - and hilarious at the same time. I envy the guy if his biggest problem post 30/40/whatever is to make sure he pisses himself in the face every now and then on this board.

Hey man, I'm in the Peace Corps with a lot of time on my hands...what can I say? Boredom in an Indonesian village but lucky for you guys I have wifi so I can keep the argument going. Oh and I really like to argue, not just about music, but about anything really.

EDIT - oh and I poke fun and hurt feelings, which I admit is childish but only if you take it seriously. Come hang out in the GMD forum and try expressing an opinion in the "controversial opinions on metal" thread. You guys wouldn't last a second with the thin skin you have.

And by the way, you may not like my style but you know I have made very fair and very valid criticisms of the band. If you think I am alone in my opinion of In Flames you are severely mistaken.