What is it that you don't like about new In Flames?

zezima940

New Metal Member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey!

I enjoy everything of IN FLAMES. But the older albums have another style of playing than the new ... The older albums are slower (not a bad thing), but I really like the amazing energy of all the albums from Clayman - A Sense Of Purpose. So I wonder what is it that you don't like about those albums? I must say I enjoy newer In Flames the most because of that energy with the fast paced harmonies. I really enjoy their old work too and they have fast songs too so it's all good! :)

Bonus question: do you think their newer stuff would have been good with their old vocals?

I dislike their lack of their 'signature melodies'. I think the perfect example would be the acoustic part in Jester Script Transfigured. Probably my favourite part in a song - ever.

I think that they're still melodic, but a different kind of melodic. I dunno, I always finding it hard explaining what In Flames are like.

And no, I don't think that their newer stuff would be good with older vocals. I think that Anders has got the vocals absolutely spot on on every one of their albums.

I was gonna troll here, but I'll be serious...

I actually don't dislike the new In Flames. I like SOAPF and Come Clarity, for instance. The two albums of In Flames I dislike more than the others are STYE and ASOP. For similar reasons really - both lack creativity and class. They're cookie-cutter music commercially produced to fit into a musical period.

The thing I always liked about In Flames is how original they were - there was nothing quite like them. Unfortunately, there's plenty of bands that sound like STYE (toned down nu metal) and ASOP (weak watered down pop-metal). People talk about the "In Flames sound", but it doesn't exist on these two albums. Anders vocals are the only thing about these albums that make it In Flames. Take his voice out and on first listen I don't think you'd guess it was them. They're the only two albums where I honestly think you can say that.

As for the new songs with old vocals... no, they'd suck even more :D

Overall, some of the newer albums are just subpar. SOAPF is my favorite "new" album so far, with Come Clarity being the second.

SOAPF is a creative record that is by far devoid of any formulated approach, but also tends to bring in some of their traits from the Colony/Clayman days. Come Clarity brought the heavy back into In Flames and is probably the best showcase of Anders screaming capabilities.

ASOP seems really much of the same (except I do enjoy March to the Shore), and STYE is just too outside the box of what I would expect from In Flames. although I do enjoy songs like Friend, and My Sweet Shadow sometimes, sounds like The Quiet Place and Touch of Red piss me off.

The older albums have a huge atmosphere to them. Everything just seems to fit together in the right places.

Am I an asshole for digging the new jams? SOAPF has some of the best songs they've ever written and some of the worst fillers they've ever done. I could say the same for ASOP and to a certain extent CC. STYE is their weakest effort in my eyes but its offset by their best song to date in MSS. They have classics and throwaways on every album, they just happened to be different flavors in recent years.

I dig the different.

-Less screams/more clean vocals ?
-Less melody ?
-Less aggressive riffs ?
-Less In Flames ??

I don't know.

-Less screams/more clean vocals ? - Ok, understandable if you don't like the amount of cleans.

-Less melody ?
-Less aggressive riffs ? - These two are just silly. Is ASOP the only "new" IF album you've heard? Even though that album is full of melody just like every IF album. But I'll give you less aggressive riffs on that one.

-Less In Flames ?? - All opinion. If you think they are less of themselves, that's fine. I'm not going to tell you it isn't true because honestly it's something that can't be proven true or false. I, for one, have always thought they were the same amount of In Flames throughout all of their albums.

-Less screams/more clean vocals ? - Ok, understandable if you don't like the amount of cleans.

-Less melody ?
-Less aggressive riffs ? - These two are just silly. Is ASOP the only "new" IF album you've heard? Even though that album is full of melody just like every IF album. But I'll give you less aggressive riffs on that one.

-Less In Flames ?? - All opinion. If you think they are less of themselves, that's fine. I'm not going to tell you it isn't true because honestly it's something that can't be proven true or false. I, for one, have always thought they were the same amount of In Flames throughout all of their albums.

You get me wrong. Actually i like their new stuff too. I just want to say the new things that people may don't like about their new stuff.

You get me wrong. Actually i like their new stuff too. I just want to say the new things that people may don't like about their new stuff.
Well if that is the reasons people might not like In Flames, then I find it illogical since there's not less melodies, there's dramatically increased melodies in the ''new stuff'', the only thing that makes sense is the vocals. Maybe some songs is less aggressive, but there's also songs that are more aggressive in the old days, like some songs on CC especially. I think the main thing people dislike about new IF is actually the vocals whether they want to admit it or not.

Nope. People miss melody. Whiny vocals are shit, but music lacks trademark melodies. True, they have melodic riffs (along with chugging shit in between), but it's just not the same.

Is there a guitar lead in the RTR-ASOP era that comes even close to stuff like Jotun or even OFTW? Is there a truly good guitar solo? (I'm talking about stuff you can remember and love, not standard bend-bend-up/down scale-short harmony thing Bjorn does in every fucking song)

Don't get me wrong. It's all nice and catchy, but pretty shallow and one dimensional.

If STYE or ASOP didn't have IN FLAMES written on the cover I would't even bother to give it more then one spin. RTR, CC and SOAPF are better, but nothing I badly want to hear.

I dislike the less 'metallic' feel. I don't know how to explain it... but the songs aren't as heavy or aggressive as they were in the past, thinking of the raw, stripped-down production of Whoracle, Colony and Clayman. Come Clarity bought that thrashing, balls-out heavy back in wads (with audible bass rumbling along too), but compromised in the melody department. It seems that they are opting for a more polish, modern metal sound. I usually like that in bands (the cleaner the better i usually find), but i'd like to hear a rawer sound and production.

Sigh. People miss melody? Well what band are they listening to while saying that, Pantera? You find more melody in new In Flames than in old In Flames, and it is a fact. Is that another troll post A88? Seems like it, lot of bullshit indeed. You know, that extreme exaggerating goes both ways.

You OK? :D

No man, that was my opinion. Some people like this new, shiny, catchy, popish stuff, and that's OK. I don't like it.

I really liked TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman, and I still listen and play that stuff regulary.

I was OK with LS, RTR, CC and SOAPF and I hated STYE and ASOP.

Truth be told, I'm more tolerant to shity songs because they were made by In Flames (prob.my favorite band), but that's it.

And I really don't know which part of my previous post was troll-ish and bullshit-ish?

Why is it that we can't dislike their new stuff? I believe In Flames sucked especially with Soundtracks, ASOP and their new playgrounds album. It's terrible because I loved In Flames for their old sound.

In Flames are part of my top 3 bands of all time but I'd never go to their concerts because they never play any Jester Race type songs. It pisses me off.

Why is it that we can't dislike their new stuff? I believe In Flames sucked especially with Soundtracks, ASOP and their new playgrounds album. It's terrible because I loved In Flames for their old sound.

In Flames are part of my top 3 bands of all time but I'd never go to their concerts because they never play any Jester Race type songs. It pisses me off.
When did anyone ever told you that you could not dislike their new stuff?
But in all honesty, everything you just said isn't exactly bringing anything new to the table, it's the same old story, but it's fine, we all have opinions. You should have catched IF during their 2008/2009 tour then, and you should catch them later this year or next year when they will do a bunch of songs from the early days. If it pisses you off so much, then you should start doing an worldwide mission on persuading people to actually move during old songs.

My friend think that they are very mainstream now and do music for 13-14 years old children, emos and that kind of stuff. I asked my friend why do you think like that? He said listen Come Clarity. :) I think they have more emotional, melancholic and deep songs in their new stuff.

When did anyone ever told you that you could not dislike their new stuff?
But in all honesty, everything you just said isn't exactly bringing anything new to the table, it's the same old story, but it's fine, we all have opinions. You should have catched IF during their 2008/2009 tour then, and you should catch them later this year or next year when they will do a bunch of songs from the early days. If it pisses you off so much, then you should start doing an worldwide mission on persuading people to actually move during old songs.

I find Reroute and Come Clarity enjoyable, I think its a solid album but a little too metalcore-ish for me though.