What's In Flames best era?

Still I think it has to be the more 'modern' era. I'm not a big fan of the old vocals.

Personally I tend to listen mainly to the newer material - Clayman, Reroute, STYE, & Come Clarity - but not so much Clayman.

Currently I think In Flames have the right mixture, and their song-writing seems to be on a whole new level. Truly incredible.

Whatever he likes that is a truth that with their new "era" In Flames started to lead another genre of music... Sweden influenced modern metal :p

I should say that I think The Jester Race and Come Clarity are different eras by themselves... their sound is completely unique to me.

I think the 1 and the 3 second era is the best. Not including Lunar Strain and CC though, don't like them very much.

My favorite era is the one where they wrote kick ass straight ahead melodic thrash songs and crushed with awesome melodic solos. Yeah that one.

I think your eras are wrong kind of. I believe the first era was just Lunar Strain/Subterranean when anders wasn't there. The second era ended with Ljungstrum and Larsson leaving. I would definitely vote for the second era. Jester Race, Black Ash and Whoracle are some of my favorite albums ever.

The golden era of IF was Whoracle - Colony - Clayman imo. They still release decent albums, but none that can stand the test of time as these three and none that are as consistently awesome.

ill vote for the 2nd era as well, memorable songs and defining period for the band. i love the first era as well - lunar strain/subterranean is one of the funest albums to listen to. the 3rd era (where the band stands today) just sucks balls.

To me, they have never bettered Subterranean.

I guess it is natural to keep the CD that made you really sit up and take notice as a favourite.

The Jester Race built on the ideas of The Lunar Strain.

That was also a period that the whole Swedish scene changed gear, a truly magical time!

At The Gates came out with the legendary "Slaughter Of The Soul", Dark Tranquillity released "Of Chaos And Eternal Night" and "The Gallery", Opeth were working up to "Morningrise", Dissection were heading for "Storm Of The Light's Bane", etc...

At first the vocals on The Jester Race drove me nuts and I couldn't focus on it. Then, suddenly, one night, it clicked. I have no idea why or how, but damn if it wasn't cool. It's my favorite In Flames album now. Whoracle is also quite good.

That said, whether or not this makes me a sellout fag, I still like a few tracks from RTR, STYE, and even CC. I enjoy tracks like Reroute and My Sweet Shadow- not in the same way that I enjoyed the Jester Race, though. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost like another band. A worse band.

I have to say, the only album I really didn't like was Clayman. It was posed on this awkward brink between the good old stuff and the not-as-good-but-not-totally-shit new stuff (I think Colony's Ordinary Story might have had something to do with that whole mess) and it came out sounding pretty lame.