Stop bitching the New In flames !

Steelbath Suicide, Chainheart Machine, and Predator's Portrait were very aggressive albums for melodeath.
I don't consider aggressive sounding music needing to be "brutal death metal".

And yes, Come Clarity was definitely aggressive, if not their most aggressive album.
Definitely. Steelbath Suicide in perticular. A Predator's Portrait is when they started progressing. First two albums was very very thrashy, speedy melodic death metal. Soilwork being one of my favorite bands, the first album doesn't really appeal to me, and not much of the second one either. It's mostly Predator's Portrait onwards for me. The last two albums has just been amazing IMO, they went back to a bit faster but very dynamic sounding at the same time. Like mixing some of the speed of the earlier stuff with some of the newer stuff with new influences too. It's amazing they released a double album + 5 songs (25 songs in total) from the same recording session and I didn't really see any of the songs as fillers either. Simply amazing.

Last edited:
Definitely. Steelbath Suicide in perticular. A Predator's Portrait is when they started progressing. First two albums was very very thrashy, speedy melodic death metal. Soilwork being one of my favorite bands, the first album doesn't really appeal to me, and not much of the second one either. It's mostly Predator's Portrait onwards for me. The last two albums has just been amazing IMO, they went back to a bit faster but very dynamic sounding at the same time. Like mixing some of the speed of the earlier stuff with some of the newer stuff with new influences too. It's amazing they released a double album + 5 songs (25 songs in total) from the same recording session and I didn't really see any of the songs as fillers either. Simply amazing.

Peter and Ola started to sound a little stale after Stabbing The Drama. I cannot stand The Panic Broadcast. It sounds like bottom of the barrel metalcore to me.

David and Sylvain brought back am amazing chemistry within the guitars. I'm sad that The Ride Majestic didn't get as much attention as it should of. It brought back a lot of the heaviness.
Some parts sound almost like a melodeath dream theater at times.

The first 3 albums were definitely aggressive though. I actually started out with the first album because people online insisted the earlier albums were the best. I loved it, but it's no longer my favorite. I like the attitude in Predator and Natural Born a lot. Hated Stabbing The Drama for a while and then it kind of clicked after a year. That album is definitely aggressive as well, just not as straightforward metal.

NBC was my first and still my favourite Soilwork album. It's what In Flames wanted R2R to be. I don't think Steelbath Suicide is anything special, but Predators Portrait and Chain heart Machine are both excellent. Figure Number Five felt like an album of NBC b-sides (some good stuff on here but mostly average) and I haven't been able to get into any Soilwork stuff since then.

Reactions: eochaid
NBC was my first and still my favourite Soilwork album. It's what In Flames wanted R2R to be. I don't think Steelbath Suicide is anything special, but Predators Portrait and Chain heart Machine are both excellent. Figure Number Five felt like an album of NBC b-sides (some good stuff on here but mostly average) and I haven't been able to get into any Soilwork stuff since then.
My favorite album is Stabbing the Drama by far. Other than that I would rate it NBC > TRM > Living Infinite > APP > FNF > STAGD > Chainheart > TPB > Steelbath. Maybe a bit sure about the ''worst'' albums but at least the ones I listen the least to. I agree about Panic, a bit lackluster, I thought the production was a bit Americanized and empty but there are some gems like Let the River Flow and Enter Dog of Pavlov

Last edited:
Thanks. I will give them a listening. Apart from TRM Soilwork never really kept my interest (specially since figure number five), so it's better to know where to start (again).

For me Soilwork had two periods, everything up until FNF and then everything afterwards. It's the period afterwards that I don't have much interest in. Everything before that was really solid though.

For me Soilwork had two periods, everything up until FNF and then everything afterwards. It's the period afterwards that I don't have much interest in. Everything before that was really solid though.
TRM is in my Top 10 list. And I'm not a Soilwork fan.

Soilwork has been more of a mood thing for me lately. I really like them, but they're not my favorite band. I usually get in a mood to listen to one of their albums.

If I had to rate though.
Natural Born Chaos
The Living Infinite
Predator's Portrait
The Ride Majestic
Stabbing The Drama
The Chainheart Machine
Steelbath Suicide
Sworn To A Great Divide
The Panic Broadcast

Like I said though, Sworn To A Great Divide and The Panic Broadcast had to be their lowest point. It just sounded generic and uninspired to me. Peter and Ola were amazing back then, but they just because really bland after Stabbing The Drama, so I'm glad they left.

Nerve was the only song I liked off STD. Sworn actually had a few decent tracks - Exile, Your Beloved Scapegoat and 20 More Miles are okay. I liked Two Lives Worth of Reckoning and Deliverance Is Mine off Panic Broadcast. But that's about it.

I need to give The Ride Majestic some more spins.

Soilwork is a good band, but not a great one. They write cool songs, they are catchy, technical even... but it's just not doing it for me.

I like Predator's portrait the most, first two albums are OK, but nothing special, NBC I could never really get into, FNF is like NBC2 - slightly worse in some aspects, slightly better in other, STD is the album that I started with so it's among my Soilwork favorites, then we have StaGD that I hate, TPB I like, even if it has a number of fillers, TLI - fine but too long and too much of the same and TRM - quite good.

The reason why I don't like The Panic Broadcast is because it has filler riffs. A lot of the guitar work in the verse is boring filler rhythm and the song only gets somewhat interesting in the chorus and solos.

It's bottom of the barrel metalcore. I'd rather listen to fucking Killswitch Engage by that point.

Agree. But also production isn't that great. I mean it's better than Sworn To A Great Divide's but that doesn't say much. I do like to casual listen to STAGD once in a while though, it's a much simpler album, much more intro>verse>chorus etc structures with a lot of focus on catchy choruses, it's just especially the guitar sound that drags the albums quality down. Did you listen to the remastered tracks on Death Resonance though? They sound pretty damn good there.

Current setlist

Drained
Before I Fall
Everything's Gone
Take This Life
Trigger
Only for the Weak
Dead Alone
Darker Times
Drifter
Moonshield
The Jester Race
Save Me
Alias
Here Until Forever
The Truth
Deliver Us
The Mirror's Truth
The Quiet Place
The End

Fucking sweet! They replaced The Jesters Dance with The Jesters Race, I don't think they've played it in full since 1996 or 1997. Only remember them doing the medley during Gigantour 2008.

And they kept Moonshield too which I'm dying to hear live.
Also playing some of the stronger tracks on the new album IMO which is also nice. Mixing in Drifter and Dead Alone which is rarely played as well. Could be a much worser setlist.

Last edited:
Not too bad. Dead Alone actually sounds pretty good live. No idea why they have this obsession with Drifter, there are much better songs off R2R. Minus would be a better choice.

In terms of album coverage we have:

Lunar Strain: 0
Subterranean: 0
TJR: 2
Whoracle: 0
Colony: 0
Clayman: 1
R2R: 2
STYE: 2
CC: 1
ASOP: 2
SOAPF: 2
Siren Charms: 1 (lol)
Battlez: 6

I find it pretty funny that TJR has more representation than Siren Charms :D maybe even Anders has realised that album is a piece of shit. Setlist is heavy on Battles, and it's kinda sad that they aren't playing anything from Whoracle or Colony. I mean, they could have dropped one of the TJR songs for something off Whoracle, and dropped fucking Drifter for any song off Colony. Remove an ASOP song, replace it with something off either CC or SOAPF and you've got a half decent modern n'Flaymz setlist. I'd prefer it to be something like this (replacements in bold):

Bullet Ride
Before I Fall
Where the Dead Ships Dwell
Take This Life
Trigger
Only for the Weak
Dead Alone
Darker Times
Embody the Invisible
Jotun

The Jester Race
Save Me
Alias
Us Against the World
The Truth
Deliver Us
The Mirror's Truth
The Quiet Place
The End

Bummer...I think The Jester Race was just typos, it's changed now to The Jester's Dance except for one concert. Makes more sense considering they played Moonshield + The Jester's Dance tour.

Looks like someone bitching about new IF..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex...r-stromblad-says-band-should-change-its-name/

And yes you're right, its Jesper as always..
"
Asked by Metal Wani for his opinion on IN FLAMES' latest album, last year's "Battles", Jesper said (hear audio below): "To be honest, I think they should actually change the name, because it's such a huge, huge difference from the beginning. But if that's the way they wanna do it, fine. And they're happy with the new members, so good luck to them. Everyone is in the right place."

Strömblad went on to clarify: "I didn't say that 'Battles' sucks ass — that's not what I said. It's just it's very… They have developed so much in a [different] direction."

How is this bitching?

Because it makes no sense? It's not like ASOP isn't already a huge difference from ''the beginning'' which he defended. It's just cognitive dissonance, he both defends the band for their change in sound while he was still in the band, and also after he left, and now all of a sudden it's so different and they should change their name. Give me break lol. He seems to be going through these weird moments where he completely contradict himself. I don't think he's drinking again though. I remember him saying about Battles he thought some stuff was some of the best stuff they've done but he also thought there were a few filler songs.

He's clearly salty

Yep, they changed a lot. But there was some continuity. Now they almost left everything that they were behind. Music is not important anymore. They're a band vocal oriented and nearer to alt rock than to metal. That's a big difference I think.

And yes, he said that in order to upset you specifically. Lol. Now you have the chance to tell him what you want through his Facebook page or in a couple of days in the restaurant.