The end of "new" In Flames?

I'm pretty happy with their all of their music. I'd rather have progression than 9 copies of TJR.

This. I mean come on, would you really want In Flames to be the AC/DC of Sweden?

Even Soundtrack to Your Escape is pretty good from a general stand point. I know a lot of you disagree, but I still like songs like Evil in a Closet/In Search For I/Touch of Red.

Minus Bottled. It's definitely IF's worst song, but compared to what a lot of other bands put out, I wouldn't call it the "worst song ever." :lol:

The best thing about music is that it's always changing. I'm a big Megadeth fan (well, I was until Dave wen't crazy... again), but I wouldn't want every album to be a different version of Rust In Peace. I wouldn't want every Bodom album to sound like Hatebreeder. IF's progression makes it so they're still listenable when you get tired of one style of their music. All you have to do is pop in a different one. I know a lot of people here want everything they put out to sound like TJR-Colony, but often when you get what you wish for, you'll end up wishing you hadn't (for various reasons). If they kept the same style, people would complain about their sound getting stale; it'd be "the same ol' predictable In Flames." That exact reason is why I can't stand listening to AC/DC. They do rock and roll bang on, but I couldn't tell you whether a song of theirs was released yesterday or twenty years ago. It's boring.

That said, I'd jizz in my pants if the band announced Colony II. :p But not III or IV.

This. I mean come on, would you really want In Flames to be the AC/DC of Sweden?

Lunar Strain to Clayman was a progress and a very good one. In Flames would be legendary if they ended their career after that.
If In Flames only made new catalogue from Reroute to SOPF, no one would give a shit about them, they would just be another generic band.

They should make more "A New Dawn" type songs with Anders growling again.

I'm pretty sure that they continue to grow their legacy because they keep getting bigger, but not necessarily more commercial. And I think if they started with R2R they would still be my favorite band and other people's as well.

I must agree with violentrl.

If In Flames started with RTR, they would be observed like something between Korn and Killswitch engage. Popular (especially in the USA), modern, catchy band with no real substance or importance to overall history of hard rock and metal.

Luckily for them, they have TJR, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman, so they still have legendary status.

Unfortunately, I don't think N'Flamez view their older albums in the same way most of us do.

In fact, I think they consider those albums an annoying burden. They'd much rather be remembered for the "grooves" and sing-a-long chorus's and emo lyrics ... as opposed to epic guitar work, incredible vocals, amazing lyrics and fans who don't look like dickheads. Go figure.

Unfortunately, I don't think N'Flamez view their older albums in the same way most of us do.

In fact, I think they consider those albums an annoying burden. They'd much rather be remembered for the "grooves" and sing-a-long chorus's and emo lyrics ... as opposed to epic guitar work, incredible vocals, amazing lyrics and fans who don't look like dickheads. Go figure.

Not sure if you are trolling or not, but their view is that on each album they've done, they've done the best they could at the time. And they are all super proud of all their albums.

Lunar Strain to Clayman was a progress and a very good one. In Flames would be legendary if they ended their career after that.
If In Flames only made new catalogue from Reroute to SOPF, no one would give a shit about them, they would just be another generic band.

They should make more "A New Dawn" type songs with Anders growling again.
So you in all honesty would rather not have ANY of the post-Clayman albums existing? If you just like ONE song post Clayman, it's just something positive that they didn't abruptly break up after Clayman. Yes, Lunar Strain to Clayman was also a big progression, but R2R-SOAPF isn't any bigger. We should be glad we have even Colony & Clayman the way they are, Fredrik Nordström said IF was really tired of the guitar harmonies while recording Whoracle, but he told them they had to do them all, but I guess later they decided to do what they really wanted and not give a fuck about letting down people expecting certain stuff from them, and I think that's a good thing.
So in a way, you could actually say IF mini-sold out while doing Whoracle since they didn't actually do what they wanted. Though I think their reason was for not letting down fans rather than money, as they were kinda underground still. You could perceive it as a kind of sell-out though ^^

Hey man, they don't care what you think...or maybe they do... :D

The quallity of music is determined by the test of time. Most of "new era" albums failed on that test. They have the quallity of every other modern pop release: catchy, uptempo, simple etc but short-lived.

Hey man, they don't care what you think...or maybe they do... :D

Man, that just makes me feel like shit :( ... but at least I feel something :confused:

The quallity of music is determined by the test of time. Most of "new era" albums failed on that test. They have the quallity of every other modern pop release: catchy, uptempo, simple etc but short-lived.

Agreed. But as long as they're super proud it's OK :D

The line is just so terrible you can basically apply it to anything for a laugh :D good old Anders and his early-mid-life emo crisis.