Can In Flames be called In Flames these days?

Siren Charms is the one which sounds silly and forced. Not because it's "softer" or "weaker", but because the music was dumbed-down SO much and SO simplified compared to the quality of the previous album.

As soon as Sounds of a Playground's first track starts you can feel the effort made, feel the atmosphere and emotion they tried to reach and in which they did successfully. Great mix of heavy, aggression, melody/melodic riffing and cleanly sung/screamed songs.

Siren Charms was a bare-minimum effort while going for a softer sound at the same time. Just didn't work out.

I'm starting to think that he is a troll. Or that he is trying to be a troll.

WRONG THREAD M8s!

I was talking about covers and titles though, not the music. How hard is it to read? :D You guys are sooooooooooooo trigger-happy. We are at a standoff where both sides thinks the other one is trolling.

The drunken part. After reading what you said about asop i'm starting to think that you're drunken most of the time
It's really hard to evaluate my drunken self. Right there and then it's pretty much a suffering for everyone involved. I basically have to be looked after, or else I surely murder myself somehow. On the other hand, those nights are usually end up being preetty memorable and fun to remember.

I don't know man, it's such a burden to be as an amazing person as me. I'm trying my best to share the awesomeness here, but you guys can be such downers sometimes. I'm sure eventually we'll end up drinking beer in some low-end Spanish pub though. At least you'll defend me when the muchachos will try beat the shit out of me. "Hola amigos!! No no no, friend. Good friend. Si, si. We listen Siren Charms together, si. Gracias muchachos!"

See what I said? A troll.
Wowser, I hope you let your kids watch some comedy shows, so at least someone in the family will grow up being familiar with the terms joke and fun. Maybe I should keep you talking, so they can play with their hidden toys longer.

Wowser, I hope you let your kids watch some comedy shows, so at least someone in the family will grow up being familiar with the terms joke and fun. Maybe I should keep you talking, so they can play with their hidden toys longer.

I'm the one playing with the toys :D

90s In Flames...

In Flames year 2000 and onwards...

Two different bands.
Think about someone who isn't familiar with In Flames, first that person listens to Whoracle and then Siren Charms. Can that person believe those albums came from the same band? Same name yes... but...

Bands say, we're evolving, no point to make "the same album" again and again... I think there is, if people really like that stuff! Stay loyal to your fans!

Daaaamn! And when exactly? I think I was born around 11 pm.

Around 3 in the morning, I believe. Yeah, I kinda put my mom through hell.

Darth Jester said:
Bands say, we're evolving, no point to make "the same album" again and again... I think there is, if people really like that stuff! Stay loyal to your fans!

It's not that the band changed that pisses most people off, but that the change 1) wasn't executed well, and 2) seems to have been done for no other purpose than being with the "in-crowd".

I often compare this scenario to Anathema, who started off as a doom/death metal band and subsequently changed to progressive/pop rock. Huge divide to the point where it seems like a totally different band, but there are a few key factors as to why you don't hear (nearly as many) people calling them sellouts: the songwriting is still solid all the same, they have a knack for penning strikingly beautiful melodies and establishing lush atmospheres, and perhaps most importantly, they have a pair of singers who can actually, y'know, sing.

In Flames' newer material does not have nearly as solid a grasp on these concepts, which is why an album like Siren Charms truly fails. Anders can't carry a tune to save his life, rhythm guitar work typically doesn't rise above generic chugging a lot of the time now, it sounds like just about every song is merely in a rush to get to the chorus so they can try to rope people in with a poppy melodic hook to keep the listener from hitting the skip button, and the vast majority follow such a predictable structure that after a while it's almost like you know what the next part is going to sound like even before you hear it.

If In Flames wanted to create an all out alternative rock album like it seems they're trying to now, and it was truly well written and performed, I'd be perfectly fine with it. It's not the change itself, but how it's handled.

No. You can evolve and still be loyal to your fans without making the same album again and again. That is IF from LS to Clayman. That is what had done bands like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden (in a lesser way, but they had changed a lot in their own style), Opeth (until they decided to not be a metal band anymore), Metallica from RTL to AJFA and many others.

Again I said, definitely no. I don't want bands to do the same album again and again, but I want them to keep their own style.

Around 3 in the morning, I believe. Yeah, I kinda put my mom through hell.

It's not that the band changed that pisses most people off, but that the change 1) wasn't executed well, and 2) seems to have been done for no other purpose than being with the "in-crowd".

I often compare this scenario to Anathema, who started off as a doom/death metal band and subsequently changed to progressive/pop rock. Huge divide to the point where it seems like a totally different band, but there are a few key factors as to why you don't hear (nearly as many) people calling them sellouts: the songwriting is still solid all the same, they have a knack for penning strikingly beautiful melodies and establishing lush atmospheres, and perhaps most importantly, they have a pair of singers who can actually, y'know, sing.

In Flames' newer material does not have nearly as solid a grasp on these concepts, which is why an album like Siren Charms truly fails. Anders can't carry a tune to save his life, rhythm guitar work typically doesn't rise above generic chugging a lot of the time now, it sounds like just about every song is merely in a rush to get to the chorus so they can try to rope people in with a poppy melodic hook to keep the listener from hitting the skip button, and the vast majority follow such a predictable structure that after a while it's almost like you know what the next part is going to sound like even before you hear it.

If In Flames wanted to create an all out alternative rock album like it seems they're trying to now, and it was truly well written and performed, I'd be perfectly fine with it. It's not the change itself, but how it's handled.

I agree with almost everything that you said except for the change of style. Metal should be metal, alt rock should be alt rock and pop should be pop. This is why people make alternative solo projects, to make something different (in style) from what the usually do.

Some of us have been on these boards for 7 years. After a while you just don't have that much more to say, especially when the new albums are as bad as Siren Charms. I can only say I don't like it so many times.

We discussed it for several months when it came out.

Then the discussion moved forward into bands that put forth more than the bare minimum of effort