Can In Flames be called In Flames these days?

Darth Jester

Oct 5, 2011
In Flames, what it was in the 90s and what it is today... so different.

Shouldn't the band be called In Flamed or In Frames or something different... and on top of that, the main writer of the music has left...

The Jester Race, Whoracle & Colony are something that they're so far away from, like Anders has said in interviews, he doesn't want to do TJR part 2. Why not? Isn't that a bit selfish? People seem to like them. Oh, the new styled albums are selling more and that means more $$$, so...

The irony of you talking about selfishness, when you are so fucking entitled that you want to tell others what to do with their own projects. Holy shit, people are retarded.

There's still no reason for IF to just completely shun the first 3 albums (basically) and the people who love them as if they don't exist.

Amorphis just finished a year-long tour basically of playing a special set that's just their best songs from their first 3-4 albums... All the while having recorded a new album that's out Sept 4th. They know how to honor their early shit and fans as well as still make their current (more simplified as IF's new music is too) music and honor that too.

In Flames should just play a special show of songs from the first 3 albums at some point.

Like this, in no particular order/setlist:

-Moonshield
-Artifacts of the Black Rain
-Dead Eternity
-December Flower
-Jotun
-Gyroscope
-Episode 666
-Jester Script Transfigured
-Food For The Gods or Worlds Within The Margin
-Embody The Invisible
-Ordinary Story
-Scorn or Resin
-Zombie Inc
-Behind Space '99
-Colony

^Hell, that might even be a perfect setlist in that order. Would love to see if you guys agree.

*I only picked songs that I've seen that they have played live at one point or another, even in the early days.

What the hell man, you would give Anders a chance in two occasions to choose between what two songs to play?! Darth Jester might say it's a fair compromise, but über salty Uneasey Conscience would never allow that - it wasn't like that in his days. We should totally make him sing everyone from TJR and even from their debut album, so he can find himself in a hospital after just two shows!

And what kind of an argument is that a band just did a tour like you would like to see from IF as well, so IF should totally do it, because if they won1t, they are assholes. There are a million other bands who did not and probably will not do a tour like that. What now?

But the biggest issue is the jump from reality. Expecting that kind of tour from IF who has said a million times already they like playing the newer songs live much more than the older ones is just, once again, entitled. It is pure whining; unrealistic and selfish.

We've already agreed that they could totally play more older songs, but anything going further than that is stretching it, and basically a fan-fiction. Not even bands who embrace and love all their older stuff do shows like you'd just want IF to do.

The irony of you talking about selfishness, when you are so fucking entitled that you want to tell others what to do with their own projects. Holy shit, people are retarded.

And this is were you start to insult the others while asking respect for the band. :fu:

Shouldn't the band be called In Flamed or In Frames or something different... and on top of that, the main writer of the music has left...

In Flames sells more albums than any random shit like Anders' Boogey Band or whatever they could choose to name themselves. So it's only natural for them to keep on with the business.

The Jester Race, Whoracle & Colony are something that they're so far away from, like Anders has said in interviews, he doesn't want to do TJR part 2. Why not? Isn't that a bit selfish? People seem to like them. Oh, the new styled albums are selling more and that means more $$$, so...

I agree with him. Doing the same album once and once again is just boring. And not wanting to do it's not selfish. I agree that bands need to evolve. And I said evolve, not to drastically change or to make more commercial music. Evolution is something that comes little by little.

Not happening doesn't mean it cannot be discussed.

Iron Maiden did and still does.

Metallica did a Master of Puppets 20 year anniversary set too. I got to witness it at Download and it was awesome.

Can't imagine n'Flaymz will do the same with TJR next year :D as Anders once said... "I don't know that album".

What the hell man, you would give Anders a chance in two occasions to choose between what two songs to play?! Darth Jester might say it's a fair compromise, but über salty Uneasey Conscience would never allow that - it wasn't like that in his days. We should totally make him sing everyone from TJR and even from their debut album, so he can find himself in a hospital after just two shows!

I don't want him to do all of Jester Race as the setlist I made of 15-16 songs was from Jester Race-Colony in my post. Also, we would want to hear him scream/growl as he does now... Who the fuck wants to hear someone scream with that much lack of technique?

And what kind of an argument is that a band just did a tour like you would like to see from IF as well, so IF should totally do it, because if they won1t, they are assholes. There are a million other bands who did not and probably will not do a tour like that. What now?

I don't know what you're do defensive about, my post was not insulting one bit. It's very simple, bands who have an extensive catalogue (10+ albums) seem to have a diverse group of fans who like different "eras" of a band's history. It's not really that weird dude. Bands do "anniversary" and throwback type shows all the time. Metallica, Iron Maiden and yes even Amorphis who I used as an example BECAUSE they are a fellow metal band and literally have just done it recently. And they have nowhere near as big of a following as In Flames.

But the biggest issue is the jump from reality. Expecting that kind of tour from IF who has said a million times already they like playing the newer songs live much more than the older ones is just, once again, entitled. It is pure whining; unrealistic and selfish.

Didn't really say a tour but was maybe thinking a select few number of these special shows or maybe a filmed show, who knows... Since a lot of other bands who have a big catalog as well do it from time to time. We're talking about what ifs here, though. We're allowed to converse about things we'd LIKE to see.

We've already agreed that they could totally play more older songs, but anything going further than that is stretching it, and basically a fan-fiction. Not even bands who embrace and love all their older stuff do shows like you'd just want IF to do.

I wouldn't say it's fan fiction as it's been proven that you're wrong when you say bands don't do it. It's really not crazy or out of the realm of possibility. If In Flames wanted to, they could. But they don't.

Slave, it's really simple dude. Anders could scream like he does today no problem on those old songs and it could be a fun, special throwback to the classics. Of course with IF's attitudes towards their classics, we know it won't happen.

But as an IF fan you can't tell me that a special show with these songs wouldn't be a cool one-time thing to see:

-Moonshield
-Dead Eternity
-December Flower
-Jotun
-Gyroscope
-Episode 666
-Embody The Invisible
-Ordinary Story
-Scorn or Resin
-Zombie Inc
-Behind Space '99
-Colony

I personally like the way Anders screams/growls now and it would be a fucking awesome show to see. Who could argue that?

And this is were you start to insult the others while asking respect for the band. :fu:
What I'm asking for is common sense. Like, once you realize that you are whining about a band not doing exactly what you would like, so they should change their name, then take a deep breath and a step back, and realize how idiotic you sound.

And don't tell me you are "discussing" it, it's the same circlejerk over and over: "yada yada Anders and money yada yada IF sells more yada yada DAE think old IF was the real music?!!!! yada yada."

Hey guys, I have the perfect site for you all: https://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration/

edit: as for 20 years anniversary, not only you are comparing apples with oranges (Master Of Puppets in Metallica's life vs The Jester Race in IF's life, really?), but conveniently forget that you are listing exceptions. Also, doing it once, twice tops is nowhere near equal touring it. Who in their right mind tour their older albums only, when most of their fanbase comes from the newer stuff. It makes no sense, because even if the crowd would actually enjoy 80% of those songs, they still want to hear the staples, so such shows would only make sense in a few isolated shows, like the one they are doing in the Scandinavian countries.

[/B][/B]

Slave, it's really simple dude. Anders could scream like he does today no problem on those old songs and it could be a fun, special throwback to the classics. Of course with IF's attitudes towards their classics, we know it won't happen.

But as an IF fan you can't tell me that a special show with these songs wouldn't be a cool one-time thing to see:

-Moonshield
-Dead Eternity
-December Flower
-Jotun
-Gyroscope
-Episode 666
-Embody The Invisible
-Ordinary Story
-Scorn or Resin
-Zombie Inc
-Behind Space '99
-Colony

I personally like the way Anders screams/growls now and it would be a fucking awesome show to see. Who could argue that?
Well, you answered your own question. And I am defensive, because OP could not wrap his mind around how can they call themselves still In Flames, when they don't do shows like these. It takes a certain handicap to post something stupid as that, or he is some very rich kid, so that's why he's rocking that mentality.

What I'm asking for is common sense. Like, once you realize that you are whining about a band not doing exactly what you would like, so they should change their name, then take a deep breath and a step back, and realize how idiotic you sound.

And don't tell me you are "discussing" it, it's the same circlejerk over and over: "yada yada Anders and money yada yada IF sells more yada yada DAE think old IF was the real music?!!!! yada yada."

Upset again darling?

edit: as for 20 years anniversary, not only you are comparing apples with oranges (Master Of Puppets in Metallica's life vs The Jester Race in IF's life, really?)

What's the problem? Do you think that Master of Puppets was the top point from Metallica? No. And he just said that they did a show with the entire album. Upset because people provide examples from what you thought was imposible? Eat it or read more.

, but conveniently forget that you are listing exceptions. Also, doing it once, twice tops is nowhere near equal touring it. Who in their right mind tour their older albums only, when most of their fanbase comes from the newer stuff.

Again, Iron Maiden does. They release an album, they tour the album. Then make tours playing their old albums by eras, and it's been like this for years now. And Fear Factory are going to play the entire Demanufacture album live.

Well, you answered your own question. And I am defensive, because OP could not wrap his mind around how can they call themselves still In Flames, when they don't do shows like these. It takes a certain handicap to post something stupid as that, or he is some very rich kid, so that's why he's rocking that mentality.

Sooooooooooooooo cool! NO! If you are going to insult another person do it properly.

Who said impossible? Get a list of bands who've been around for 15 years at least and tell me which one of them did shows like that. I've seen a snowstorm in March which was heavier than anything during the winter, yet I do not go around spouting nonsense, like it's regular. No, it is not.

You want more facts, my friend? I just checked Metallica's last setlist and they played 3 songs from Master Of Puppets. Want to guess when IF played at least ONE song from TJR? Want to guess when did they play more than one?

More facts? All right, do you know what Metallica's first album was? No, not Master Of Puppets. Why the FUCK are we talking about that record then? MOP might not been THE most successful Metallica record - it's my favorite though -, but it is among the ones which we can call classics. They had two records before that, yet you conveniently ignore that, and compare it to The Jester Race. Do not do that. Compare it to Colony, the first fleshed out IF record - I'm pretty sure even Jesper would choose that record among the early ones, instead of TJR or Whoracle, which albums were like when a bird trying to fly, not to mention Anders did not write his own lyrics then, so it's not that surprising those records are not the closest to his heart.

Will they play Colony in its entirety in 2019? I don't know, they might. But you all should come down to earth, and wish that they will include at least two songs from TJR in next years tour, before they start to record the new record.

There you go facts, but keep saying XY did something, take it out of context then apply some general rule based on that and tell me how I am being proven wrong. Can't wait. And as for insulting, I don't think I needed to top my game from "he's fucking stupid" to begin with. Arguing about whether IF should do a few shows like the ones we are discussing now is one thing, but asking them to change their names, because you are so fucking cool, that you can't even leave your house, because you trip on your Led Zepelin records in your original Deep Purple T-shirt.... yeah, that's some next level whining, but if you want to defend that and make yourself look almost as stupid as Darth Jester, then go on.

Who said impossible? Get a list of bands who've been around for 15 years at least and tell me which one of them did shows like that.

Iron Maiden, Fear Factory, Metallica...

I've seen a snowstorm in March which was heavier than anything during the winter, yet I do not go around spouting nonsense, like it's regular. No, it is not.

You want more facts, my friend? I just checked Metallica's last setlist and they played 3 songs from Master Of Puppets. Want to guess when IF played at least ONE song from TJR? Want to guess when did they play more than one?

Loosing your composure? Not a good thing. And I'm not your friend (as Anders is not your friend, though you doesn't seem to have noticed).

More facts? All right, do you know what Metallica's first album was? No, not Master Of Puppets. Why the FUCK are we talking about that record then?

I know pretty well, I was yet born when they released it. And we are talking about that record because they played the entire fucking album live.

MOP might not been THE most successful Metallica record - it's my favorite though -, but it is among the ones which we can call classics. They had two records before that, yet you conveniently ignore that, and compare it to The Jester Race. Do not do that. Compare it to Colony, the first fleshed out IF record - I'm pretty sure even Jesper would choose that record among the early ones, instead of TJR or Whoracle, which albums were like when a bird trying to fly, not to mention Anders did not write his own lyrics then, so it's not that surprising those records are not the closest to his heart.

And TJR is not first IF album, though you conveniently forgot about that. And learn about this, the fact that you don't like them, doesn't mean that they are like a "bird trying to fly" (you really said this?). THe first fleshed IF album is Lunar Strain. You don't like it, it's OK. Trying to despise those albums with childish arguments doesn't do any good for you, neither for your mental health.

Taken from the Jester Race CD booklet: "Lyrical concepts and song titles colaborated by Niklas Sundin & Anders Friden". And then, surprise, Bruce Dickinson wasn't even part of the first Iron Maiden albums and still he sings those songs and loves them as a part of the band's legacy and history.

I like those records, I only hate LS.

Yes, Lunar Strain was fleshed out. How about putting effort into not saying dumb shit like that instead of trying to establish some dick-contest, and telling me I'm mad. I get the idea , dude, I even understood it the first time you made remarks about it, but it would be prime time to be as witty in the actual argument part as well. Why am I saying this? Because even the heart and soul of old (aka G-O-O-D, right?) In Flames, Jesper said that LS was shit and was made in a hurry. Here's the definition of fleshed out: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/flesh+out - now, did you read what I read, or did it say it means to throw together a bunch of songs in a very short time, while not even having any idea how exactly you'd like your band to sound.

We could argue whether Whoracle or Colony was the first album where the guys wasn't just jamming stuff until it sounded OK or had parts which were actually great, but given the fact that Björn started playing guitar on Colony AND Daniel joined the band on Colony AND - if I'm correct - the first bigger overseas success was brought to IF by Colony... I don't know, to me, it doesn't seem like rocket-science to know which would be the earliest album IF would willingly play in its entirety.

I'm happy you at least agreed to me on that MOP was not Metallica's first record, I'm glad at least you are willing to accept that. TJR still does not hold as much value for IF as MOP does to Metallica.

And finally, I have to hear about Iron Maiden. I don't give a damn about Bruce Dickinson and what he did. It's just as relevant as me saying that Trent Reznor went on record saying that a song from his - well, Nine Inch Nails' - debut album (1989) was so fucking bad in hindsight, he can never get himself to play it. Also, 70% of that album has been barely played in the last 10 years - yes, some songs has been sampled into others, but that's not the same. On the other hand, he played his second album two or three times from start to finish during a tour which was meant to be NIN's last, despite the record did not have any anniversary that year. You see how random it is? I feel like.... like there's almost a pattern here, where each band treats their older records differently. Seems like Bruce Dickinson has no problem singing someone else's song, he can embrace it, while Trent Reznor is not really feeling the vibe of the whiny ass songs he wrote as a whiny ass teen, while Metallica played the entire MOP, but nothing before. Question: did Metallica gave the same treatment to Justice for All? Metallica (album)? Load, etc.? Because if they did not, then it seems like this topic is not as black and white as it seems.

And I'd like to state once again that I have nothing against longing for such shows from IF or making custom setlists and wishing it to be done one day. My problem is someone kicks in the door and says "well, I don't like your music anymore, so change your name." or giving any band or performer shit for not being in love with every single records and songs they did. I for one am sure they will honor TJR in one way or another, but as I said, my bet is on including two songs (like Moonshield and Artifacts) into their 2016 setlist - and franky, seeing how TJR and Whoracle (+Behind Space) are completely neglected in recent years, even that would be something to be happy about.

I like those records, I only hate LS.

Yes, Lunar Strain was fleshed out. How about putting effort into not saying dumb shit like that instead of trying to establish some dick-contest, and telling me I'm mad. I get the idea , dude, I even understood it the first time you made remarks about it, but it would be prime time to be as witty in the actual argument part as well. Why am I saying this? Because even the heart and soul of old (aka G-O-O-D, right?) In Flames, Jesper said that LS was shit and was made in a hurry. Here's the definition of fleshed out: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/flesh+out - now, did you read what I read, or did it say it means to throw together a bunch of songs in a very short time, while not even having any idea how exactly you'd like your band to sound.

You're really upset, don't you? Why don't you try to care about real things in life instead of putting all your efforts into some random band?

But, since you say that Jesper said that LS was shit, I'm sure you can provide prove of it (I will keep my own opinion about that album).

We could argue whether Whoracle or Colony was the first album where the guys wasn't just jamming stuff until it sounded OK or had parts which were actually great, but given the fact that Björn started playing guitar on Colony AND Daniel joined the band on Colony AND - if I'm correct - the first bigger overseas success was brought to IF by Colony... I don't know, to me, it doesn't seem like rocket-science to know which would be the earliest album IF would willingly play in its entirety.

Just three words: THE JESTER RACE.

Just one qute from thew wikipedia:

After releasing The Jester Race, the band then toured with Samael, Grip Inc. and Kreator.[4] The album was the band's second full-length album released following the more mainstream success of the 1995 EP, Subterranean. The Jester Race was recorded at Studio Fredman by Fredrik Nordström, who also contributed keyboards for the album.

This album ranked #79 on the website Metal Rules' list of 100 Greatest Metal Albums.[5] It is also considered a classic album of the Gothenburg style of metal,[6] along with At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery,[7] exhibiting the dual guitar leads, growled vocals and acoustic sections typical of the genre.

As for Bjorn and Daniel, do you really think that bands have something like this is the right formation? No. Most bands change with the time and it has nothing to do with what you're talking about (such lame arguments).

And, Colony is not that great as an album. It is good, but probably the worst from the perios between TJR and Clayman.

I'm happy you at least agreed to me on that MOP was not Metallica's first record, I'm glad at least you are willing to accept that. TJR still does not hold as much value for IF as MOP does to Metallica.

And what do you know about that? The Jester Race is one of the cult melodeath albums. How can you know what TJR represents for the band? You don't know. You're just acting like a spoiled brat.

And finally, I have to hear about Iron Maiden. I don't give a damn about Bruce Dickinson and what he did.

Of course you don't. You don't want to hear something that goes against your arguments. Don't tell the "I have to hear about Iron Maiden" like if they're nothing. They're one of the most influential bands ever and probably the biggest Heavy Metal band (no, don't talk about Metallica. Metallica always counted with the help of the media, Iron Maiden didn't, and still they're selling tons of records, even of bad records, and touring and making an effort that neither Metallica nor shit Tredt Reznor will never achieve).

Seems like Bruce Dickinson has no problem singing someone else's song

Oh, so you think that in a real band, not some fake like NIN, al the musicians write all of the songs? Wellcome to the real world. In more than half of the songs Iron Maiden wrote Bruce Dickinson had nothing to do on their composition. Ask Kirk Hammet how many songs he created for Metallica. No, real musicians play a lot of songs writen by other members of the bands because bands are not a matter of egos, are a group of musicians who joined forces together.

Question: did Metallica gave the same treatment to Justice for All? Metallica (album)? Load, etc.? Because if they did not, then it seems like this topic is not as black and white as it seems.

No, and it is fun because, before the release of Load, Lars Ulrich said in an interview for the Spanish TV that everything they did before was false, I remember well because that was the day that I realised that Metallica was shit and decided not to spend my money on them anymore.

And I'd like to state once again that I have nothing against longing for such shows from IF or making custom setlists and wishing it to be done one day. My problem is someone kicks in the door and says "well, I don't like your music anymore, so change your name." or giving any band or performer shit for not being in love with every single records and songs they did. I for one am sure they will honor TJR in one way or another, but as I said, my bet is on including two songs (like Moonshield and Artifacts) into their 2016 setlist - and franky, seeing how TJR and Whoracle (+Behind Space) are completely neglected in recent years, even that would be something to be happy about.

No, you have a problem since you deny the others the chance to express themselves, and you decided to do this through insulting him.

I usually have no problem on discussing things, but with people like you I just loose my temper, and I'm still being polite.