That Metal Show

Since Metal is not on the t.v. a lot, the show is o.k.. They get great guest which I think they should focus more on. The little comedy things that are on or fillers should be done less. I tivo it so I can fast forward the lame parts.

Since Metal is not on the t.v. a lot, the show is o.k.. They get great guest which I think they should focus more on. The little comedy things that are on or fillers should be done less. I tivo it so I can fast forward the lame parts.

I too record it and fast forward thru the lame parts and commercials:kickass:

It's a pretty awful show. The guys who host it typify the metalheads from that generation; they're caught in a time warp, following only 80s Metal bands, oblivious to the current scene.

Zod

Eddie seems to be stuck in the Kiss age.. I remember a couple of us from the old mp.com (8-9 years back now) tried to get Eddie to play Evergrey and Vanden Plas on his radio show and he openly admitted he didn't "get" those kind of bands from Europe

*snip*

Trunk (Tho he did play the new Edguy on his SiriusXM show on Monday),

But did you hear his Postscript comments on Edguy? How he didn't "get" some of the very "European/Silly" songs that Edguy do? IIRC Wasn't Van Halen doing silly sex songs 20 years ago? He never complained about them... Ugh I dunno, I've never really respected Eddie Trunk for his lack of openmindedness beyond Kiss and Dream Theater here and there..

But did you hear his Postscript comments on Edguy? How he didn't "get" some of the very "European/Silly" songs that Edguy do? IIRC Wasn't Van Halen doing silly sex songs 20 years ago? He never complained about them... Ugh I dunno, I've never really respected Eddie Trunk for his lack of openmindedness beyond Kiss and Dream Theater here and there..

As I said, I respect him for what he is and I don't penalize him for what he isn't. He's a product of his times and his knowledge and contacts from that time period are excellent. There are times that some newer groups come to his attention, like Supagroup or Buckcherry, but mostly it is about the classic scene and a lot of the time about what they are doing nowadays.

Unfortunately, he's the best thing I can say about Da Boneyard anymore. The whole station has gone "classic" and has abandoned most newer music (tho oddly they play random Iced Earth tracks occasionally.)

Sure, the show could be better, but it's enjoyable - and what is wrong with UFO? One of my favorites...

Absolutely nothing wrong with UFO, I'm a fan of both the Chapman & Schenker eras. My reply was specifically geared towards Manda's DT/Kiss mention. While I do admit to watching the show (online), I don't always find it enjoyable. :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with UFO, I'm a fan of both the Chapman & Schenker eras. My reply was specifically geared towards Manda's DT/Kiss mention. While I do admit to watching the show (online), I don't always find it enjoyable. :)

LOL, I haven't found Eddie Trunk enjoyable for about 10 years so there ya go :)

Myself I like the show. Just recently they discussed the newer scene not being covered and the show being on VH1 Classic. Jim talked about being fans of both Slipknot & Twisted Sister. He also mentioned seeing Motorhead, Saxon & Danko Jones and the difference between U.S. shows and overseas. I do think there could be improvements but at least they are trying to help keep the older stuff alive.

I never liked Trunk and probably never will. As was stated before, he is stuck in a time warp and doesn't give credit to newer bands. Speaking of Trunk and Iced Earth, I heard him say on his show for XM that he didn't get into IE until Ripper came along and then he didn't care for Barlow's voice! WTF?!?! IE has been around a long ass time now, and suddenly an 80's rip off (pun intended) singer pinch hits for IE (same as Priest) and he's a fan now?!? Come on Eddie have some integrity... I wonder if he dislikes IE now that Matt is back...

Trunk is mostly going to be focused on the heyday for the genre in the states, since that's mostly what he knows.
Which would be fine, if they didn't try to sell him as some sort of Metal expert. On what other topic could you be considered an expert, if you weren't aware of anything that's happened on the subject in the last 20 years?

...but if you are into the classic scene, he definitely knows his stuff and knows what a lot of those guys are doing nowadays.
The idea that "he knows his stuff", would be more palatable if he was once able to answer an audience member's trivia question. It's the only part of the show I've ever found entertaining... someone asks a questions and he sits there looking dumbfounded, like someone just asked to break down the second law of thermodynamics.

Zod

The idea that "he knows his stuff", would be more palatable if he was once able to answer an audience member's trivia question. It's the only part of the show I've ever found entertaining... someone asks a questions and he sits there looking dumbfounded, like someone just asked to break down the second law of thermodynamics.

Zod

He gets some stuff I would never know, but he couldn't get the name of Megadeth's mascot.

It is ok for what it is.
Every now and then an underground band, like Quartz, does get a mention.

The questions on STUMP THE TRUNK are all pre-written, so what he gets right or wrong is obviously scripted. Half the people in the audience stumble on reading the question, as they themselves have no idea what is being asked. Also, every person in the crowd is wearing some sort of brand new t shirt which was obviously given as promotional items at the door.

The one thing I liked was when the side burn comedian made a call out to bands like Metallica, in saying, "Put your money where your mouth is and bring a band like ANVIL out on the road with you" Even if it was 100% scripted to say, it was still cool. I have been saying that myself for years, that it would be great for Metallica to payback some of their heroes (Saxon, Motorhead, Venom, etc) by bringing them out.

My wife who is not into metal at all watched it once with me. She made an interesting observation. It is like "Best Damn Sports Show", but for metal.

I agree with you Jason that the questions are scripted, but I really don't think his responses are. Just my opinion.

I realize the show isn't perfect, but they do have some good stuff on there from time-to-time.

Even though I hate her to the umpteenth degree, Juliya from Fuse TV has more metal integrity in her pinkie thank Eddie Trunk does in his entire body..