The 1-Clip-Per-Day Challenge...

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
So I've been lurking around this forum for a while, and I'm consistently amazed at how much amazing stuff comes out of here from clips, to tones, to presets, to impulses, etc. And I'm also fairly embarrassed that I've been playing guitar and recording for so many years, and I still haven't really worked up my recording chops to be able to lay down tracks that sound the way I want them to. So I woke up this morning and I decided that I'm going to force myself to create a clip every day for the next 30 days. No matter how basic, boring, or monotonous it is, I will not sleep until I have something recorded every day for the next month - no excuses allowed... I figure the more I record, and the more I tweak, the better my tracks will sound.

Anyway - I'm not sure that I'll post them all here for fear of boring you guys to death with my ridiculous experiment, but I will post one today.

When you hear it you'll quickly realize that I obviously wasn't going for intricacy :), so please don't critique the clip itself. I really just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the tones and the mix. The guitar is all Axe-Fx (quad tracked) with just a touch of compression (a-la Andy's C4 settings), and a tiny bit of EQ added in Logic. Bass is a Sansamp RBI with no effects added, and the drums are the SSD Metal Dream kit - also with no effects. The master track has a logic Channel Strip called Rock Master or something like that.

Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. And if any of you want to participate in my "1 Clip Per Day" challenge, feel free to post here as well.

Thanks,

Bobby

The Most Boring Clip EVER!

guitar tone is actually quite good - would like to hear more.... kick good, snare bad.

I like the guitar tone a lot actually, can't really comment on the drums though I know nothing about that stuff.

Behindert used to a daily, or near daily clip.
I might try something like that over the summer, only for like a week or so though. I don't have creativity pouring out of every orifice unlike most people on this forum.

Anyone wanna trade brains with me?

So my second "daily" clip from yesterday wasn't really worthy of posting so I kept it private. But today I think I did a little better. I'm starting to realize that most of the problem with my current situation lies with the bass. I can't seem to get a good solid bass tone no matter what I do. Any tips?

All critiques welcome please...

A Slightly Less Boring Clip!

Bobby

So my second "daily" clip from yesterday wasn't really worthy of posting so I kept it private. But today I think I did a little better. I'm starting to realize that most of the problem with my current situation lies with the bass. I can't seem to get a good solid bass tone no matter what I do. Any tips?

I think tight playing is the key, but if it is the tone, try the Studio Devil VBA. Its available for both PC and MAC and in VST/AU/RTAS.
I actually like it even better than the Ampeg SVX and its only $69:

http://www.studiodevil.com/download/downloadVBA.htm

and soundclips of before/after comparison and in context